• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gregor's between school and university list (1 Viewer)

I am glad that this information has been useful. I have stayed at O'Reilly's twice, the most expensive accommodation that I have ever stayed in, although great memories of the views, the rainforest and the birds and other wildlife. I also had 2 days trips there, the most recent with a company which used a desk in Roma Street Transit Centre (bus and train station) in the middle of Brisbane. My tactic then was to have something to eat at an earlier stop (Tamborine Mountain village) so I could spend all my time at O'Reilly's (just over 3 hours) checking the bird life. I even saw a noisy pitta and 2 russet-tailed thrushes on that occasion. Of course, it helped that I was familiar with the birds and paths with having stayed.

Actually, camping is an option, as there is also a camping site at O'Reilly's. You will have to get advice from others about the risk of venemous snakes, painfully stinging leaves, etc!

As others have posted in answer to my queries in BF, God, I miss Australia!

Thank you so much for all this information. What an amazing place! I think camping will definitely have to be the option I go for!

4th July, Shapwick Heath, Somerset
94. Great White Egret
95. Garden Warbler
96. Bearded Reedling

Ham Wall RSPB, Somerset
97. Eurasian Hobby
98. Great Bittern
99. Gadwall
100. Common Kingfisher

Greylake RSPB, Somerset
101. Eurasian Teal
102. Western Yellow Wagtail
103. Peregrine Falcon

I had a fantastic morning around the Somerset Levels today. Sadly I heard but didn't see Cuckoo and a Little Bittern, and missed Night Heron and Purple Heron by minutes! I still have plenty more birds to find before I leave the UK, so it's going to be a busy couple of weeks!

I have also noticed that I have forgotten to add a species that I saw near Hilfield about a week ago:
104. Yellowhammer

Last edited:
Actually, camping is an option, as there is also a camping site at O'Reilly's. You will have to get advice from others about the risk of venemous snakes, painfully stinging leaves, etc!

As others have posted in answer to my queries in BF, God, I miss Australia!

Hi Gregor:

I can vouch for the camping at Lamington N.P.; spent three nights there with my girlfriend. I can also vouch for the bird quality - had a Satin Bowerbird tending his bower in the bush about 2 m. from our tent! Lots of other stuff too.

Nary a snake nor a stinging leaf in sight (those were all up at Cape Tribulation); the only trespassers on our privacy were the numerous red-necked pademelons, a small 'roo-like thing. God, they were tame!

This was all 20 years ago, but I would hope that the camping area would still be as it was - it was idyllic!

Hi Gregor:

I can vouch for the camping at Lamington N.P.; spent three nights there with my girlfriend. I can also vouch for the bird quality - had a Satin Bowerbird tending his bower in the bush about 2 m. from our tent! Lots of other stuff too.

Nary a snake nor a stinging leaf in sight (those were all up at Cape Tribulation); the only trespassers on our privacy were the numerous red-necked pademelons, a small 'roo-like thing. God, they were tame!

This was all 20 years ago, but I would hope that the camping area would still be as it was - it was idyllic!

Thanks Peter, it sounds like such an amazing place! I will go and camp there as soon as I can once I'm in Brisbane. I can't wait!

July 7th, Hilfield, Dorset
105. Willow Warbler

It was nice to finally find one of these- I don't know how it's taken so long! I've still got Nuthatch and Treecreeper to find in the garden, they are normally very easy, but sadly not right now! Unfortunately I have a very busy final nine days before I head off to the USA, so I might struggle to get much birding in, but I will certainly be trying to!

Continues to be a very enjoyable and interesting read Gregor. My husband Rob and I were at O'Reiily's in May 2014, for part of a long birding day out and saw some great birds including Bowerbirds- we would give the place a big thumbs up too :t:

Hi Gregor:

Peter,

The stinging leaves are on the left as you arrive at O'Reilly's. That is what I was told, although 'tis true that the Aussies are great for their stories! As for snakes, well, one of O'Reilly's guides pointed out a red-bellied black snake, and there was a bigger black one down the hill, sort of behind the camping site. A guide mentioned a death adder along a forest path (after I'd walked the path). Death adders are the ones that are camouflaged in the leaf litter, until someone stands on them.

The birds at O'Reilly's seem not to mind visitors, so you don't usually need to walk around on "tip toes". ;)

Al

July 10th, Bude, Cornwall
106. Sand Martin

Yarner Wood, Devon
107. Eurasian Siskin
108. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
109. European Pied Flycatcher- at least two of them, my first in Britain
110. Grey Wagtail
111. Eurasian Nuthatch

Dartmoor, Devon
112. Tree Pipit

Bowling Green Marsh RSPB, Devon
113. Common Greenshank
114. Eurasian Curlew
115. Whimbrel
116. Red Knot
117. Spotted Redshank
118. Grey Plover
119. Eurasian Wigeon

I had a very productive day, starting at my friend's house in Bude and then stopping off at Yarner Wood and Bowling Green Marsh on the way home. Sadly I missed Redstart and Wood Warbler (and Treecreeper) at Yarner Wood and several waders at Bowling Green Marsh (including Redshank which will be difficult to get after leaving the UK). I still have a few days left, so I'll try and add a few more!

Last edited:
July 11th, Exe Estuary, Devon
120. Dunlin
Several Waders were seen from my grandparents' boat party up the River Exe, but sadly no Redshanks again.

July 13th, Acres Down, Hampshire
121. Woodlark
122. Common Firecrest
123. Common Redstart

Sadly no raptors showed during our three hour walk around the area, but it was very nice to go birdwatching for the final time before I head to America on Thursday morning.

July 15th, Hampton Court, Surrey
124. Ring-necked Parakeet

It was nice to get a final addition to my list before heading to America, while visiting my grandparents. It's a 4am start tomorrow!

July 16th, Philadelphia Airport, Pennsylvania
125. American Crow

San Francisco, California
126. Western Gull

An extremely long day of travelling, but nice to finally arrive in San Francisco. I'm about to go and explore the city and hopefully find some more new birds!

July 17th, San Francisco, California
127. Mourning Dove
Golden Gate Park, San Francisco
128. American Robin
129. Lesser Goldfinch
130. Dark-eyed Junco
131. Brewer's Blackbird
132. Pied-billed Grebe
133. Double-crested Cormorant
134. Downy Woodpecker
135. Steller's Jay
136. Brown Creeper
137. Pygmy Nuthatch
138. Black-crowned Night Heron
139. Anna's Hummingbird
140. Violet-green Swallow
141. Song Sparrow
142. Pacific-slope Flycatcher
143. Caspian Tern
144. American Coot
145. Wood Duck
146. Brown-headed Cowbird
147. Allen's Hummingbird
148. Red-tailed Hawk
149. Black Phoebe
150. California Scrub Jay
151. House Finch
152. California Towhee

I had a great day walking around Golden Gate Park in the middle of San Francisco. It is fantastic being in a new country where virtually every bird is new for me! I will probably head back to the park tomorrow before starting my bus tour on the day after that.

Cult 18th, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco
153. Cooper's Hawk
154. Brown Pelican
155. Heermann's Gull

I met up with my tour group yesterday evening. Sadly there are no other birders on it! I'm heading to Yosemite today though, so hopefully there will be some good birds!

Edit: just discovered that the parakeets I saw were in fact Red-masked, and thus I believe are not countable as a self-sustaining feral population, so that's one less bird!

Last edited:
First time I've had internet for a while today!
19th July, near Oakland, California
156. Turkey Vulture

20th July, Yosemite NP, California
157.:Clark's Nutcracker
158. American Black Swift
159. American Dipper

21st July, Mono Lake, California
160. Sage Thrasher
161. Least Sandpiper
162. Yellow-headed Blackbird
163. California Gull
164. Western Osprey

22nd July, Yosemite NP, California
165. Mountain Chickadee
166. American Kestrel
Bishop, California
167. Great-tailed Grackle

It has been very difficult to get any bird-watching in, but what an amazing place this part of the world is! I shall definitely be returning some day.

Last edited:
July 24th, Las Vegas, Nevada
168. Northern Mockingbird

My only addition from two days Las Vegas. I certainly will not be returning!

Grand Canyon NP, Arizona
169. White-throated Swift
170. Zone-tailed Hawk
171. Woodhouse's Scrub Jay

Last edited:
July 27th, Mesa Verde NP, Utah
177. Black-throated Grey Warbler
178. Juniper Titmouse
179. Broad-tailed Hummingbird
180. Chipping Sparrow
181. Pine Siskin
182. Cordillera Flycatcher
183. Black-billed Magpie

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back