• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8X32 models (1 Viewer)

hinnark said:
None. Even with the Nikon none. Each of them has its own strong points and weaknesses. The Trinovid is of older technology but maybe the difference in comfortable holding is more important in the field than the differences of the optics. So try them first.

Steve

A lot of common sense there. Add the Nikon to your list and you have the ideal short list.

Craig H said:
Hmm, think I'd have to disagree Brad. I have the Nikon 8x32's and yes they are good but I think Leica has the edge as far as image goes and definitely as far as build quality. The best thing about the Nikons is their close focus which is superb. Wouldnt buy another pair though. But... each to his own. ;)
One of our most experienced local birders chose the Nikon over Swaro or Leica. Just shows it's down to personal taste at these levels of quality.

My son has Nikon 10x32HG and my brother the 8x42HG and we all agree that the Nikons provide a somewhat more contrasty "3D" and natural looking image than my Swaro 8.5x42EL - but the Swaro has a slightly wider FOV, which I prefer.

Last edited:
hinnark said:
None. Even with the Nikon none. Each of them has its own strong points and weaknesses. The Trinovid is of older technology but maybe the difference in comfortable holding is more important in the field than the differences of the optics. So try them first.

Steve

I hate long eye relief, and i love wide "sweet spots", wide field of view, and good handling. For me the EL did the trick.
The Ultravid came second, but they are better optically than EL.

Luca said:
I hate long eye relief, and i love wide "sweet spots", wide field of view, and good handling. For me the EL did the trick.
The Ultravid came second, but they are better optically than EL.
Have to agree with you there, Luca. The quality difference is so marginal that the handling issue carried the day when I chose EL over Ultravid. I have quite small hands and narrow wrists, and I find the ELs superb, great "one hand" bins, lovely focusing, panoramic FOV etc. Mind you, when I bought a pair of compacts recently, I chose the 8x20 Ultravids over the Swaro compacts. Which only goes to show...something or other. At the end of the day, they´re all just metal tubes with some glass in.

Sout Fork said:
Objective covers...

From two throw-away spice jars.
Work just fine.

Would have to be tethered... I used a pair from Eagle Optics but they wouldn't stay on. None of the Ultravid covers fit the 8x32 BN's and only one pair from Swaro but they only "sort of" fit.

I wouldn't be happy with your arrangement on a $1000 pair of bins... sorry.

Brad_A said:
Would have to be tethered... I used a pair from Eagle Optics but they wouldn't stay on. None of the Ultravid covers fit the 8x32 BN's and only one pair from Swaro but they only "sort of" fit.

I wouldn't be happy with your arrangement on a $1000 pair of bins... sorry.

Why do people get so worked up at the lack of objective covers on the Trinovids? Ob. covers are a relatively recent fad, but who needs them? My bins are either round my neck or in their case; never had a problem. I really couldn't be bothered taking covers on/off in the field countless times as I see others doing. Definitely miss birds that way. But that's just my opinion. :t:

Mike Johnston said:
Why do people get so worked up at the lack of objective covers on the Trinovids? Ob. covers are a relatively recent fad, but who needs them? My bins are either round my neck or in their case; never had a problem. I really couldn't be bothered taking covers on/off in the field countless times as I see others doing. Definitely miss birds that way. But that's just my opinion. :t:

Mike I'm a hunter, climber/trekker as well as a birder... have you ever waded through chest high alders on the Alaska coast that are dripping wet? Do you think the objectives may get wet? I can assure you they will! How about climbing a 3000m peak in the Northern Rockies in the dark while it's snowing or raining with heavy winds? How about Wading through waist deep snow on a 45 degree slope?

Those of us that also hunt and wander genuine wilderness have more stringent gear requirements than 99.9% of all birders and that's a fact.

I'd also add you're quite wrong about objective covers, they've been around a LONG time. They've been a mil spec requirement for many years because of everything I just mentioned.

How about dust storms in the desert or just wind in a desert enviroment?

Brad_A said:
Mike I'm a hunter, climber/trekker as well as a birder... have you ever waded through chest high alders on the Alaska coast that are dripping wet? Do you think the objectives may get wet? I can assure you they will! How about climbing a 3000m peak in the Northern Rockies in the dark while it's snowing or raining with heavy winds? How about Wading through waist deep snow on a 45 degree slope?

Those of us that also hunt and wander genuine wilderness have more stringent gear requirements than 99.9% of all birders and that's a fact.

I'd also add you're quite wrong about objective covers, they've been around a LONG time. They've been a mil spec requirement for many years because of everything I just mentioned.

How about dust storms in the desert or just wind in a desert enviroment?

You don't need objective covers you need a halftrack.

bunny said:
Which is optically superior?

LEICATRINOVID 8x32BN
LEICA ULTRAVID 8x32BR
ZEISS 8x32FL
SWAROVSKI 8x32EL

I have a Leica 8x42BR but am not entirely satisfied, mainly with the handling.

I think an 8x32 might suit me better. The question is, which is best?

Please bear in mind I used to have a LEICA TRINOVID 8x32BA and loved the way my fingers could fit between the barrels when they were set at their smallest IPD setting, something not possible with the Ultravid 8x42BR.

Get the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN. I have had MANY binoculars but these are my favorite! They are just little jewels. Best build quality, compact size and just superb optics, and they fit in your hands just right. I would take them over anything. Long term durability is the best of any. I have had Zeiss FL and Swarovski and Nikon LX L's. I sold them all except these Leica's. I like them better than the Ultravid's also. I think it is just the combination of being good in every area that makes them great. No blackouts to speak of. Just fantastic brightness, sharpness and wonderful contrast. When you look at something it is just like you are there. Absolutely beautiful images! I have never seen better. If you look on E-bay you can get them for less than $700.00 but the price is actually appreciating on these because people want them and it is getting harder to find a like new pair. I am telling you these babies are great!

Dennis

Yep. If they put the new Ultravid coatings on the Trinovid 8x32 they'd have a definite winner. A lot of people say they like the Ultravid view but prefer the Trinovid ergonomics.

Mike Johnston said:
Yep. If they put the new Ultravid coatings on the Trinovid 8x32 they'd have a definite winner. A lot of people say they like the Ultravid view but prefer the Trinovid ergonomics.
Well put, Mike. The Ultravid's coatings are significantly better than the Trinovid's. I actually prefer the slightly longer Ultravid as it's strap lug clears my hand BUT Leica must rethink the focus mechanism of the Ultravid - IT IS A DEAL-BREAKER!

angelo225544 said:
Well put, Mike. The Ultravid's coatings are significantly better than the Trinovid's. I actually prefer the slightly longer Ultravid as it's strap lug clears my hand BUT Leica must rethink the focus mechanism of the Ultravid - IT IS A DEAL-BREAKER!
Wonder why or if Leica will listen to the focus critcism, I own the 10 x 42's and compared to my Nikon 8 x 42's the focussing is as you say a deal breaker it is notchy and unpleasant to use.

On another tack I checked out a friends new Minox 8 x 32's whilst out birding today, they are superb the big boys had better take note. The close focus for bugs and butterflies is awesome I could almost focus on my shoe laces! spec wearer eye relief is excellent, comfortable to hold and use and image quality right up there.

Stewart

I was just mooching around the forum and came across this thread belatedly. Just wondered what Bunny did/ bought in the end? I've owned a pair of the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN for a couple of years now and still think they're amazing to my eyes - but I acknowledge each is to their own. I agree with denco@comcast.. above; they are little jewels with a compact size which suits me fine and amazing build quality.

mr1967 said:
I was just mooching around the forum and came across this thread belatedly. Just wondered what Bunny did/ bought in the end? I've owned a pair of the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN for a couple of years now and still think they're amazing to my eyes - but I acknowledge each is to their own. I agree with denco@comcast.. above; they are little jewels with a compact size which suits me fine and amazing build quality.

I traded my Ulravid 8x42BR for a pair of Trinovid 8x32BN in October 2006 and it's the best move I've ever made.

I put up with the Ultravids for 2 years but no matter what I just couldn't take to them. Mostly a question or ergonomics; I didn't like the thumb grooves and HATED the bendy eyepiece cover which never seemed to fit properly!

The Trinovids on the other hand are probably about as close to perfection as I'm ever likely to get. They handle brilliantly, feel indestructable and have a fantastic "own eyes" image. In other words, the colours you see through the bins are exactly the same as the colours you see with the naked eye. I sometimes thought that the Ultravid image was artificially bright, possibly a desirable quality for some users but I prefer my colours to be as true as possible.

Can't praise the Trinovids enough really. I love'em!

Drumming Sniper said:
I traded my Ulravid 8x42BR for a pair of Trinovid 8x32BN in October 2006 and it's the best move I've ever made.

I put up with the Ultravids for 2 years but no matter what I just couldn't take to them. Mostly a question or ergonomics; I didn't like the thumb grooves and HATED the bendy eyepiece cover which never seemed to fit properly!

The Trinovids on the other hand are probably about as close to perfection as I'm ever likely to get. They handle brilliantly, feel indestructable and have a fantastic "own eyes" image. In other words, the colours you see through the bins are exactly the same as the colours you see with the naked eye. I sometimes thought that the Ultravid image was artificially bright, possibly a desirable quality for some users but I prefer my colours to be as true as possible.

They create a beautiful image don't they!

Dennis

Drumming Sniper said:

The Ultravids are essentially Trinovids in a new housing and with improved coatings. But the basic optics are the same. Now, among the Trinovids, the 8x32 have always had the highest reputation. I mean to recall that the 8x42s were considered to be the weakest in the line. So, aside from that handling which you did not seem to like, the major difference you observed may be due to the fact that you switched from 8x42 to 8x32.

I have the Zeiss FLs instead of the Ultravids, and I bought the 8x42 model specifically for its brighter view in low light conditions. But this comes at the expense of having a bit too much brightness at times. Something I also had not realized beforehand. Fortunately, I still have my 8x32 Trinovids as well. And I agree that they are superb. But they did cause considerable frustration in the understory of tropical rainforests. I have yet to be able to test the 8x42 under those conditions, however.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back