• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 BA Trinovid impressions (1 Viewer)

etc

Having never owned nice glass I did a lot of research and realized I wanted 40-42mm lense and most likely 8x power from one of the major makers like Leica/Swarovski/Zeiss/Nikon.

I got a good deal on a used, but in mint condition Trinovid 8x42 BA.

First impressions: I expected it be bigger than it actually is. It's fairly compact IMO. But the weight is what I expected, you feel like you are holding a real optical instrument. It's not light, but not that heavy either.

Optics: The clarity is nice. Because I've never had a high end binos, I really do not have a reference point to compare it to. I don't know how it compares to Zeiss or Swarovski or to Leica Ultravid or even other Trinovids. It's sharp and clear and the view is still nice when the light is nearly gone at the end of the day.

Ergonomics: So-so. I cannot get a real comfortable hold on it. I think I would rate Swarovski as easier to hold, or Ultravid, possibly. I would rate it as a solid B.

The adjustment knob. Smooth, easy, just right.

Eye relief is A+.

The case that comes with it is just about useless,and if you put a strap on the unit, it barely fits in there, I will be looking for a replacement.

The only problem I found is that the 8 power is too much for me. My last glass was a 7x30 (or 7x35) old Zeiss, considerably smaller and lighter. I don't know if it's the weight, but it takes practice to hold the Trinovid steady. I tried looking at the stars and couldn't hold it steady at all. I have to rest my elbows on the car roof or something else steady to get a decent view.
I was a bit surprised by that. 7-8 power is the most power that is of practical use to me. I am so glad I didn't get that 8.5x42 Swarovski I thought about.

I think if I had to do it again, I would give most serious consideration to a 7x42 unit, from any maker.

On the other hand, it's nice to have 8 power and I think with practice, I can learn to hold it steady, off hand. So the trade off is worth it.

Using it is absolutely a pleasure, I don't get tired of it. I feared I would be more annoyed by the 8x32 Trinovid, due to smaller eye relief and less light at dusk. (On the other hand, I would be delighted to get a 7x32 Trinovid, but alas, they don't make such a beast)

I also realized I need a super compact glass to complement it, probably something in 5 or 6 power if I can find such a piece.

Last edited:
Funny thing about using bins on stars. I could not for the life of me get a stable look at stars with a 7x50 or even a 7x35, but I can bird all day with 8x and 10x for shorter trips. I wouldn't give up on them yet for birding stability based on the star stability. Stars are just pinpoints, planets even are tiny compared to the size of a bird in the view, and in my eyes that makes a difference to what looks or feels stable.

I still wish someone still made a really good $300 7x35 porro, in a metal housing please.

Have you seen that Vortex 6.5x32? That might please you.

Right, 7x35 is a sorely needed addition. Hard to believe Leica doesn't make it. I suspect it's more practical than other sizes. I had an ancient Zeiss in that power and it was pretty small and useful.

This Trinovid 8x42BA is a superb optical device. I would suggest don't compromise, I don't think one set of bins can do it all. I am very pleased with it, but they are not a compact binoculars. Nor are they star binoculars, I would want a higher power like 10x or 12x and on a tripod.

I thought about getting a 8x32 Trinovid as a compromise piece, one size do it all, but then decided to get 2 units: A full size and compact set. However, 8x42 Trinovid is really not that big, nor is that it that heavy.

I have the 7 x 42 Trinovid BA. It is now discontinued. Leica's sole 7 x 42 is now the Ultravid. My Trinovid's size and weight is about the same as your 8 x 42 which is typical of a 7 x 42. The Ultravids weigh about 4 ounces less with their new magnesium body and titanium focusing shaft. If weight is a factor, you could trade up to an Ultravid. These binoculars are built to give many years, if not a lifetime, of rugged service. You will save at best 10 Ounces or so off your Trinovid 8 x 42 by using an 8 x 32 instead. Depending on the amount of time you spend with them, it might not be worth your while to change, especially if you give the case they came with a real try out. You might be surprised at it's lightweight versatility. I didn't like mine either until I read Alexis's comments of approval on it in this forum and I decided to give it an honest tryout. It's the neatest little rainguard for both objective and eyepiece lenses I've ever seen. It is fast and efficient to use. All you have to do to use the binocular is unzip the case, slide it down the strap to about chin level and put the binoculars up to your eyes! This case, which is made of thin quality leather, weighs practically nothing and is an excellent rain guard. Of course, if you want to lug your binoculars around in a thick, 2 pound cordovan leather case, you can do that too. Just leave that case in the car until you get back. Your binoculars and their small case will fit into it handily.

Cordially,
Bob

Last edited:
Hi etc,

Congratulations on your purchase - I never thought the handling of my Zeiss 10x40's could be matched, but the 2 Trinovids I bought last year (10x42BN & 7x42BN) have really grown on me....they're just so 'right'. I felt they were too weighty at first but they are, IMHO, superbly balanced. Plus, as you say, that solidness provides a reassuring feel of quality.

All in all, I'm sorted - the 10x & 7x complement each other very well (I agree with everything good that has been said about 7x binoculars on these forums - they are just about the perfect configuration for easy day-to-day use). It's surprising how little you lose out in terms of magnification when comparing 10x & 7x side by side - and how much you gain from a slightly less shaky view.

As for a good carry round case, I think you should check out the Lowepro Sliplock 60AW. It works superbly for my Trinovids - plenty of room inside for the bins & strap (even with eyecups raised!) & excellent protection too as it's nicely padded in all the right areas & it's made from that waterproof ballistic nylon stuff - plus they're cheaper than anything from Leica/Zeiss/Swarovski.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mook.

Thanks. I am currently trying to figure out the focusing feature. Wearing glasses or not, the focus is different. Without glasses, I have to adjust the focus mechanism all the way to the right. Could you shed some light on that?

Hi etc,

I find the diopter setting on Leica Trinovids to be very well thought out. Once you pop up the top section of the focusing wheel, you can then adjust for each eye individually - the top (smaller) section adjusts the right side optics, the lower (larger) section adjusts the left side optics.

On the underside of the binoculars you should see two triangular arrows on the rubber armour - one on the left barrel & one on the right. These point in towards the focusing wheel - the right side one to the smaller (top) section of the wheel, the left side one to the larger (bottom) section of the wheel. These arrows remind you which wheel adjusts which side of the binocular.

A little trial and error should find the right combination but I don't wear glasses so can't comment on whether or not there should be a difference in settings when you switch between glasses/no glasses.

Cheers,

Mook.

Duluth Pack, www.duluthpack.com, sells very nice canvas and leather luggage and packs, many of which are suitable for binoculars. Check out their Shoulder Bags, Mini Haversacks and Shell Bags. Many selections available.

Bob

etc said:
Thanks. I am currently trying to figure out the focusing feature. Wearing glasses or not, the focus is different. Without glasses, I have to adjust the focus mechanism all the way to the right. Could you shed some light on that?

The diopter set up is quite remarkable! I don't wear glasses. I set my right eye for it's best focus at minus one half the first diopter at 100 feet when I got them 6 months ago and I haven't changed it since for any distance and I guarantee it isn't going to move on it's own! I don't know why it wouldn't work in the same way for people who wear glasses. Put the focusing wheel and diopter wheel in their neutral positions, then close your right eye and focus the left one on an object about 100' away until it is sharp, now close your left eye and focus the right eye on the same object using the diopter wheel until it is sharp, now open both eyes and fine tune the focus with the left eye wheel. Now click the right eye diopter closed. That's all you have to do. Naturally, you will have to do this every time you decide to use them with or without glasses.
:hi:
Bob

Last edited:
I have pretty bad eyesight. I have to wear glasses or contacts. The latter is the ideal option of course, but glasses work with it pretty well. I specifically wanted 8x42 or 7x42 due to more generous eye relief. Nevertheless, the field of view is smaller with glasses. Yet the third option I found out is to adjust the diopter so things in focus without glasses. Not sure it's adjusting enough, but seems to work, I need to run test and compare both ways.

The concern I have with secondhand Leica's is, you're on your own if you ever have a problem and need to send them back for repairs. Their warranty is non-transferable and they won't budge....

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back