• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (47 Viewers)

What a really good variety of smashing images. The conditions for much of the day were difficult but we had enough good sun to help. For those that weren't so frozen that we couldn't press the shutter!:storm:

My contribution to the image pot:

1, 3 & 4 taken at the Moors.

5 RNP in flight.

Rob
Its already been said Rob so I won't say how great you pics are ..but they are;);
I saw the Peregrines in combat after I left you.
I later spoke to Paul A the 'Peregrine man'. He told me that the pair in Bromsgrove had given up at the church nest site and had later laid on one of the masts, but had now ceased breeding. There is another bird intruding on their territory which was probably the bird taking the waders. Hopefully your shots of the skirmish are the last we see of that bird. :flyaway:

We all suffer from non-communication at some time. We often read about the species seen by someone who has been good enough to enter it in the hide log, but doesn't necessarily see the need to broadcast it through other medums. There are many days when Upton warren doesn't get a mention on Worcester birding, so even the most informed regional site lacks input from the reserve. If any one has a genuine solution to the problem then bring it on. But lets not get too carried away, we don't get that many rare birds annually, in the event of the next 'biggie' this forum will surely be at the fore with the info...so just keep watching and CONTRIBUTING it is a two way thing. Those who attend work parties or are wardens are automatically in the loop as they have not only showed commitment but have also interacted with others. Membership of the WWT doesn't automatically put you on the grapevine. Communication comes in all forms and is a two way thing:smoke:.

I didn't realise that we would be put to the test so quickly. To prove a point on just how many people read this forum, there were 2,759 hits in the 24 hours from 10pm 14th May to 10pm 15th May. B :)

What a really good variety of smashing images. The conditions for much of the day were difficult but we had enough good sun to help. For those that weren't so frozen that we couldn't press the shutter!:storm:

My contribution to the image pot:

1, 3 & 4 taken at the Moors.

5 RNP in flight.

Rob

Great shots. Is it just me or does the bottom bird in photo 3 appear to have metal ring on its left leg? It would be pretty difficult to read the number but fascinating to find where it was ringed. It would probably have been a pullus.

Its already been said Rob so I won't say how great you pics are ..but they are;);
I saw the Peregrines in combat after I left you.
I later spoke to Paul A the 'Peregrine man'. He told me that the pair in Bromsgrove had given up at the church nest site and had later laid on one of the masts, but had now ceased breeding. There is another bird intruding on their territory which was probably the bird taking the waders. Hopefully your shots of the skirmish are the last we see of that bird. :flyaway:

Thanks John. That's interesting info & I'm glad you got to see them.

Great shots. Is it just me or does the bottom bird in photo 3 appear to have metal ring on its left leg? It would be pretty difficult to read the number but fascinating to find where it was ringed. It would probably have been a pullus.

Thanks a lot. Yes it's a ring. Don't think I will be able to get any nos from it as I have already cropped the pics a lot but will look.

Rob

Got the original Phal text as I was leaving home with the intent to drop in and download the weather data anyway. Dave was in the hide when I got there but nobody else was present. John joined us a few minutes later. The RNP was still present when I left but as I approached Hen Brook the heavens opened so I took refuge in the HB hide for 45 minutes or so (during which the demise and resurrection of the RNP were text around the county)!
I'm getting some photos off the card as I type, but here's the rainfall graph since I last grabbed the data in the middle of last month - 85mm! Photos (V distant of the RNP) to follow as and when.

SJV
over 3 inches in a month opening the sluice for a day dropped 6cm (2 and a half inches.) good data mate..keep your pecker up kid;)

As I said...very distant and rather gloomy but it's the subject matter that counts. Hopefully the late shift will get some improved images.
I'll add a couple of Little Gull shots too (fantastic gull).

nice shots Sy. I forget to ask you yesterday if you could try and get a sound recording of the Little gull. Never heard that call from this species..its holding territory in front of the hide, sounds like a blackwit.B :)

The seven Dunlin (that later split into a 5 and 2) were together momentarily early this morning. Whilst sheltering in the Hen Brook I caught up with a couple of Reed Warblers. It's hard to say for sure but I think there are at least 4 separate territories visible from the hide (with another couple easily within earshot). Finally, I tried to pick some of the hawking Swallows out of the gloom over the Sailing Pool.

Yes Sy defo more birds and territories..almost certainly as a result of the channels that you/we cut:t:

As I am somewhat late to this particular discussion (didn't have time to log on last night) I can only say that I agree with what has been posted so far, particularly some of Laurie's points above.

For what it's worth my two penn'orth is:

I took the 'takeover bid' comment to be tongue in cheek, but perhaps it wasn't taken as such by 'Upton'!?

Slightly confused by the reference to 'members', who are not members of the Trust? If they aren't a member of the Trust (or a Trust) then they shouldn't be at Upton! What is it that they are not members of?

It isn't an Upton club, whereby everyone gets texts 'cos they're a member (like Worcester Birding for instance), 'cos there's nothing to be a member of, apart from the Trust as mentioned above. The texts we send between ourselves works as an old-fashioned grapevine, perhaps newcomers to birding aren't aware of such an antiquated system?

Two things - we can't text someone if we don't have their number, and we're unlikely to have their number unless they either offer it or specifically ask to be notified of rarities/scarcities. And even then is one individual going to want to spend their own cash texting everyone who wants to see rarities on the reserve!!

On the other side of the coin a twitter page is of no use to anyone without a) a twitter account and/or b) an internet enabled phone (which takes me out of the equation on both counts!).

IMHO if anyone wants to get news out, then let them by whatever means are at their disposal.

Mike
great points Mike and Laurie.....answer is simple, go birding when you can. When you can't, switch your phone off, don't look on the forum and put your bins in the loft. Tongue in cheek8-P but In the olden day's (here I go again), there were some big listers (nationally) that used to sit at home waiting for a phone call (no mobs in those days). Basically waiting for some one else, to find a bird for them, not only did it make these people leeches but it also made them socially inadequate on the birding scene. But more importantly they never experienced the thrill of finding their own birds, they also lacked the field skills you gain from observing and studying birds, but ultimately they missed out on the sheer enjoyment of watching birds and mixing with like minded people and here is the crux....exchanging phone numbers :smoke:SIMPLES8-P

More images from yesterday:

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB5298 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB5298 - Version 2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 82
  • _ROB5480 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB5480 - Version 2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 92
  • _ROB5512 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB5512 - Version 2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 80
  • _ROB5495 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB5495 - Version 2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 86
great points Mike and Laurie.....answer is simple, go birding when you can. When you can't, switch your phone off, don't look on the forum and put your bins in the loft. Tongue in cheek8-P but In the olden day's (here I go again), there were some big listers (nationally) that used to sit at home waiting for a phone call (no mobs in those days). Basically waiting for some one else, to find a bird for them, not only did it make these people leeches but it also made them socially inadequate on the birding scene. But more importantly they never experienced the thrill of finding their own birds, they also lacked the field skills you gain from observing and studying birds, but ultimately they missed out on the sheer enjoyment of watching birds and mixing with like minded people and here is the crux....exchanging phone numbers :smoke:SIMPLES8-P

Q.E.D. again! ;)

Had an amusing afternoon in the dungeon, despite how cold it turned out to be. As usual the phalarope stayed miles off, and most of my shots appear to have a phalarope-shaped dust-bunny on the sensor.

Middle of May and I genuinely was glad of my hand warmer.

Next time you are in there I am locking the door until you get a good pic8-P
great shots
dungeon..like it;)

No RNP, no Peregrine!

My pics from yesterday. Nothing special but some nice colours.

Attachments

• gold 1.jpg
    gold 1.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 73
  • king 1.jpg
    king 1.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 83

Users who are viewing this thread

Back