• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hello, i have a roadrunner question!! (1 Viewer)

tasneem

hello everyone..
i need to know how many tail feathers a typical (greater) roadrunner runs around with? i am reconstructing a fan from old feathers, and need to knwo the accurate amount, if anyone knows! thanks very much....

Hello tasneem,
On behalf of the staff, welcome to the Birdforum.
As to your Roadrunner question, I can only give you an approximate answer - 12. I say this based on counting the feathers from this photo.
Hopefully someone can confirm or correct this.

The other link you should check is that concerning the various Bird Protection Laws in the US. It is illegal to keep feathers/ nests, etc. of most migratory birds (not sure if RR is covered since it is non migratory).

Hello tasneem,
On behalf of the staff, welcome to the Birdforum.
As to your Roadrunner question, I can only give you an approximate answer - 12. I say this based on counting the feathers from this photo.
Hopefully someone can confirm or correct this.

The other link you should check is that concerning the various Bird Protection Laws in the US. It is illegal to keep feathers/ nests, etc. of most migratory birds (not sure if RR is covered since it is non migratory).
Hi Tasneem and Dave

The copyrighted "Birders Handbook" by Ehrlich, Dobbins, and Weheye has a very extensive discussion of the early treaties re: migratory bird protection between The United States Great Britain (on behalf of Canada) and later with Japan, Russia, and Mexico, and also the legislation to augment these treaties.
Following quote is from Pete Thayer's Birds of North America electronic version of said Birders Handbook.

Under special permits, protected non-game species (but not endangered species) may be killed if they become serious local pests. This provision has been used primarily with regard to species of blackbirds and cowbirds when their gigantic fall and winter roosting flocks become nuisances, although control programs have not been without controversy. House Sparrows and starlings, both non-native species, are not protected. No other birds, except those for which there are designated hunting seasons, can be legally killed, trapped, harassed, or possessed (including birds found dead). Even "adoption" of young birds that appear to have been deserted by their parents is illegal without a permit. If found, these apparently unattended young should be left alone, as, more often than not, the adults are not far away. In the United States or Canada, anyone molesting protected birds in any way should be reported to the state or provincial Department of Fish and Game
or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

birds has been interpreted as any body part including feathers, also eggs and nests. Penalty in US up to 6 mo in jail and $500.
Craig

thank you all for the info. and welcomes! i will look more into the migratory bird laws, especially in relation to native americans, my family! i still, however, want to find out the number of tail feathers on a roadrunner!!! any leads would be appreciative!
thanks and blessings!

thank you all for the info. and welcomes! i will look more into the migratory bird laws, especially in relation to native americans, my family! i still, however, want to find out the number of tail feathers on a roadrunner!!! any leads would be appreciative!
thanks and blessings!

I counted 5-8 long tail feathers on a Greater Roadrunner in New Mexico so would go with Craigs photo. With regard to possession of feathers my understanding is that even if you are enrolled in a federally recognised tribe a permit may still be required. Though I don't think the RR migrates?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back