• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Passerine, Sichuan (1 Viewer)

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Supporter
Scotland
This passerine was seen at Mengbishan in Sichuan on 12th June. It was in high altitude conifer forest (I guess around 3500m asl). It rather puzzled me and my experienced guide in the field. It's sort of vaguely like a Plain Mountain Finch but seems not quite right, and didn't really have the right sort of jizz for that species. I'm still not really close to being able to figure it out, but perhaps I'm missing something obvious.

Both photos show the same bird. Most of the time it was in view I concentrated on getting shots of it, so don't have too much to add in terms of how it looked.

Attachments

• Passerine_Mengbishan_120618a.jpg
    Passerine_Mengbishan_120618a.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Passerine_Mengbishan_120618b.jpg
    Passerine_Mengbishan_120618b.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 63
My gut reaction was Chestnut-shouldered Petronia, or pale rock sparrow as it use to be called. No idea if that is a possibility in Sichuan though.

My gut reaction was Chestnut-shouldered Petronia, or pale rock sparrow as it use to be called. No idea if that is a possibility in Sichuan though.

Yeah, I wondered about that too. I don't think it's ordinarily found anywhere near Sichuan and even if it did occur there occasionally would probably gravitate towards different habitats. It does look somewhat reminiscent of one though.

I cannot see why it isn't a Plain Mountain Finch; wing pattern, undertail covert spots etc are all fine.

cheers, alan

I cannot see why it isn't a Plain Mountain Finch; wing pattern, undertail covert spots etc are all fine.

cheers, alan

I think that's probably the most likely explanation, even though in some ways it looks noticeably different to how most PMFs look (i.e. it looks much plainer on mantle and head). I've found a few pictures that look a bit similar:
http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=1975&Bird_Image_ID=120165
http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=1975&Bird_Image_ID=104493
It has an odd combination of a very strongly marked wing pattern but otherwise very plain plumage, but perhaps this is related to moult i.e. fresh wing feathers but worn plumage elsewhere.

That strongly marked wing pattern isn't shared by anything else in the region, so I'd plump for Plain Mountain Finch too. Was there a lot of snow suddenly high up? That often brings them way down into the trees during the summer.

James

That strongly marked wing pattern isn't shared by anything else in the region, so I'd plump for Plain Mountain Finch too. Was there a lot of snow suddenly high up? That often brings them way down into the trees during the summer.

James

Thanks James. There wasn't too much snow on the nearby mountains, though we'd had snow at Balangshan a couple of days earlier.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back