• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (12 Viewers)

Ythan

Just couldn't get a decent picture of these against this background and distance, can anyone identify these from this rather bad photo, thanks

Jim.

Attachments

• Ythan 011.jpg
    Ythan 011.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 85
I took some students out around Seaton Park again yesterday. We had very good and prolonged views of a Dipper but the highlight was a brief view of a Kingfisher upstream from the Brig of Balgownie. I think that's only the second or third time I've seen one in that area.

Aberdeen birding

Hello

I am looking to come up to Aberdeen at somepoint and was wondering the best time of year to see waders/wildfowl/seabirds etc. Down in the South of England the best time to see these species is throughout the Winter and i was wondering if it is the same up in Scotland?

Many thanks

Simon

Hello

I am looking to come up to Aberdeen at somepoint and was wondering the best time of year to see waders/wildfowl/seabirds etc. Down in the South of England the best time to see these species is throughout the Winter and i was wondering if it is the same up in Scotland?

Many thanks

Simon

I guess it depends exactly which species you want to see. You should see quite a lot of waders, wildfowl and seabirds through most of the year, although it's generally better for seabirds through summer and autumn rather than in winter. Wildfowl are more autumn and winter, but some are present through the year. If there are particular species you're interested in, then I or others can probably make suggestions for times and places.

I guess it depends exactly which species you want to see. You should see quite a lot of waders, wildfowl and seabirds through most of the year, although it's generally better for seabirds through summer and autumn rather than in winter. Wildfowl are more autumn and winter, but some are present through the year. If there are particular species you're interested in, then I or others can probably make suggestions for times and places.

I am going to be around the Nigg Bay area, i just want to go when i will see the most.

I am going to be around the Nigg Bay area, i just want to go when i will see the most.

Do you mean around Nigg Bay and Girdle Ness in Aberdeen? If so, I'd recommend a look at the great 'Birds fae Torry' thread. Would say that this time of year is a bit thin for seabirds. Spring (especially May) and autumn will generally be best for the widest variety of birds, although seabirds will be numerous through the summer.

As Andrew states,If It Is Nigg Bay/Girdleness,the Birds of Torry thread Is the best for keeping up to date.There are usually a decent selection of birds all year round and coming from Somerset,there may be a few things going around,that you may not see regularly down south.

At least 8 Long tailed Duck on the Ythan Estuary this afternoon.Also 10+ Red breasted Mergansers on the river also.

No sign of the Red knecked Grebe at Peterhead,that was reported on ABZ Birds yesterday,although Dunlin,Purple Sandpipers and Turnstones were allowing very close views at high tide.

I went to look for Waxwings in Kincorth this afternoon - something I've been meaning to do for a while, but yesterday's report of a good-sized flock gave plenty of encouragement. It took a while to find them but they were up by the Spar on Provost Watt Drive, streaming in and out of the rowans there. It was hard to get a precise count but from a combination of photos and in-field counts 230 seems like a reasonable estimate. As well as feeding in the trees they kept swooping down on to the roof of the nearby pub, which was a bit strange - I wonder what they were finding there. After a short time they all sped off down the hill to Covenanters Drive, where I found them again briefly before they disappeared off. Quite a few Fieldfares and other thrushes feeding on the berries too.

Attachments

• Waxwing_Kincorth_221213a.jpg
    Waxwing_Kincorth_221213a.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Fieldfare_Kincorth_221213a.jpg
    Fieldfare_Kincorth_221213a.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 47
As well as feeding in the trees they kept swooping down on to the roof of the nearby pub, which was a bit strange - I wonder what they were finding there.

If a flat roof, most probably drinking in pools of water that may have formed. I thought that it was you that I saw ! There were a few colour ringed birds in that flock - might be good to check all photos.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back