• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus E-5 (1 Viewer)

As someone who only buys an slr when it is being remaindered to clear the shelves - I have recently added an E-30 to the collection. Fear not Ron - almost every decent Olympus camera I have ever owned since 1964 is still going - despite much use! Unless you are very unlucky the E-30 will probably work for a bit longer. In the mean time - when are Olympus going to replace the E-5 - I want one!

J

As someone who only buys an slr when it is being remaindered to clear the shelves - I have recently added an E-30 to the collection. Fear not Ron - almost every decent Olympus camera I have ever owned since 1964 is still going - despite much use! Unless you are very unlucky the E-30 will probably work for a bit longer. In the mean time - when are Olympus going to replace the E-5 - I want one!

J

Interesting point of view...

if it is anything like the E 300 it will, but the E 620 is not as rigid and durable.

i am also waiting for the E 5.

What evidence have you got for your comments on the E-620? I've got one and I'm very happy with it. It is well made and I see no reason why it will not be durable.

Dave

J
Congratulations on your new purchase. The E-30 is a great camera and I am sure you will get on well with it. I would like to hear your assessment of it once you are more used to it. Perhaps this would be better in a new thread, rather than hijacking this one.

I bought my camera from Jessops about 15 month ago. It was on sale for £699 with the 14-42 lens but when I went into the store I discovered that they were also including a free 40-150 lens. They took a boxed one off the shelf which was priced at over £200. The prices didn't appear to drop below this before the camera more or less disappeared from all the stores, which is quite comforting. In general, though, I think your trick of buying run-out stock is a good policy and gives the best value. I am hoping for a few more years of service from mine as I can't afford to replace it.

Ron

Adobe have now released Photoshop Lightroom 3.3 and Camera Raw 6.3 support for the E-5 so hopefully there will soon be a full review of the camera on DP Review. There seems to be plenty of enthusiastic comments from the first users of the E-5 and it sounds as if it is a very good camera but I still think the price is too high at the moment.

Ron

Hi Rajsurin.

Nice to have another Oly user on board. Your photos look very good, especially the Common Tailorbird. I, too, would like to know what you think of the E-5's noise performance, as my E-30 is awful, bordering on the unusable, in low light. I use Topaz DeNoise but even that doesn't really solve the problem.

Ron

Hi Rajsurin,

Did you use any noise reduction methode/software for the last two pictures?

All straight off camera..I've been taking JPG+raw ..initial days yet..just cropped in LR3 and some brightening.
I've been curious of the noise performance too..
at around ISO 1200 and above the noise seems to show up as grains..but if the exposure is spot-on perfect (which some people somehow manage) noise does not show at all even at ISO1600.
Have put up another of the tailor bird - much cropped almost 50%..and i like the look of the resolution.again no N-reduction.
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/345930/ppuser/87599

Am curious to try this body with the 70-300 lens ..have seen some people do a great job with it.(i guess they are just good at photography ;) )
so far i'm comfortable with the 50-200 attached and the EC1.4 and EC20 on standby..makes for a good hand-held package.

As an added thought..
I just tried the free download software fro Hasselblad..on the mac..(also available for windows)..i think its great and simple..its output seems to be very clean..(no support for E5 files yet, but it takes care of files from the E3/620/510 and the pens).
http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/phocus-25.aspx

Regards.

Last edited:
The long-awaited review of the E-5 has just been posted on the dpreview website:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse5/

I haven't read it properly yet but, looking at the conclusion, they seem to think that it is the best 4/3 camera so far but still has some of the format's shortcomings, such as poor high ISO image quality and slightly limited dynamic range compared to the competition. I will read it properly later.

Ron

I haven't read it properly yet but, looking at the conclusion, they seem to think that it is the best 4/3 camera so far but still has some of the format's shortcomings, such as poor high ISO image quality and slightly limited dynamic range compared to the competition. I will read it properly later.
I got the impression (from the small part of it that I read) that they think the camera should be smaller to get the benefit of the smaller sensor.
One of the initial promises of the Four Thirds system was that it would make camera bodies and lenses smaller. This has come true to an extent, but mainly for lenses. There is no denying, for example, that the super compact 9-18mm f/4-5.6 is much smaller and much lighter than an 18-36mm lens of the same nominal aperture range would be for a full-frame system, and the same goes for lenses such as the excellent 12-60mm f/2.8-4. Depth of field is a separate issue, but purely in terms of coverage, Olympus's Four Thirds lenses are generally smaller and more compact than equivalents designed for APS-C or full-frame systems. However, despite their smaller sensors, the top-end Four Thirds DSLRs - the E-1, E-30, E-3 and E-5 - have all been big, heavy, and comparatively expensive for their specification.
I suppose they're right, but I think the body size almost becomes irrelevant with a long lens, because of the huge savings in lens size. Maybe this is a niche camera for wildlife photographers.

But they certainly don't can the camera:
Let's make on thing very clear from the outset: the Olympus E-5 is the best Four Thirds DSLR ever made.

For me, a full frame camera(film or digital) + E-5 + Olympus OM 350/2.8 + the proper adapters = birding perfection.

This setup yields 350mm, 490mm, 700mm, and 980mm variations with spectacular IQ.

Though Olympus isn't issuing new birder friendly lenses, a reach back into the past has settled my needs for the present and future.

Texsport

For me, a full frame camera(film or digital) + E-5 + Olympus OM 350/2.8 + the proper adapters = birding perfection.

This setup yields 350mm, 490mm, 700mm, and 980mm variations with spectacular IQ.

Though Olympus isn't issuing new birder friendly lenses, a reach back into the past has settled my needs for the present and future.

Texsport
Hi,
Out of curiosity - what price is asked for OM 350mm/2.8 in good condition? (assuming one can find one for sale, which is another story...)
/Tord

Hi,
Out of curiosity - what price is asked for OM 350mm/2.8 in good condition? (assuming one can find one for sale, which is another story...)
/Tord

Sorry for the belated reply.

When searching for a 350/2.8 I found prices ranging from $2,500 to $4,500.

Frequently the price depends on if the seller is an individual or a camera store---the stores all asking higher prices.

One thing to note about the OM 350/2.8 and 250/2.0 is a absolute scarcity of replacement parts. I needed a good example to justify my purchase.

The IQ of the 350/2.8 is startling beginning at f4.

The selling factor for me was the 2X E-5 effect on the EFL.

Texsport

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back