• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New York - Lindenhurst - Canal (1 Viewer)

I've spotted the same waterfowl twice, both times it dove underwater after a few seconds and didn't come back up where I could see it.

The back and head are uniform light gray, with a white throat.

It looks to be about the size and shape of a cormorant, it's bigger than the scaups and mergansers that were around.

I spotted it today, March 13, and about a week prior.
I haven't managed to lay eyes on it for more than a few seconds total, but it isn't a type that I've seen before.

Does anyone have any ideas?

One of the loons maybe?

The closest thing I could find in my bird book was Common Loon (winter plumage), but I'm not sure. The white marking on this one is very distinct, while photos I've found of loon winter plumage have a less clear line.
The gray color is much closer to a seagull, but all the gulls around here have either white or black heads. Also, this one dived, which I haven't seen any of the gulls do.
We did have a loon here once, 5 or more years ago, but it only stayed for one afternoon in Summer.

It's definitely not a cormorant, we have lots of those. This one is much lighter than any cormorant I've seen.

It's not an Anhinga either, they're darker and swim with more of their body underwater.

It might be a red-throated loon, this photo looks similar.

I guess I'll have to wait until I spot it again, hopefully I can get a picture next time. I live next to a small swampy sort of wildlife preserve, so there's plenty of hiding places I can't see. I can only spot what hangs out at the waters edge or in open water.

Last edited:
It's definitely not a cormorant, we have lots of those. This one is much lighter than any cormorant I've seen.

It's not an Anhinga either, they're darker and swim with more of their body underwater.

It might be a red-throated loon, this photo looks similar.

I guess I'll have to wait until I spot it again, hopefully I can get a picture next time. I live next to a small swampy sort of wildlife preserve, so there's plenty of hiding places I can't see. I can only spot what hangs out at the waters edge or in open water.

Your idea of Red Throated Loon may well be correct.
There is a very confiding one currently staying on the Harlem Meer in NYC Central Park, so they are around.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back