Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2020

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.40 average.
Old Monday 22nd June 2020, 20:30   #626
Mike Montier

I have only seen two or three Bee-eaters this year at Son Bosc. There are usually quite good numbers there but this year they seem very poorly represented.
The strange thing is, I keep seeing two’s and three’s in Parc Mondragó, very unusual for this time of the year.
I’m wondering if they may be breeding nearby.
Red kite are now established in the park as a breeder as is Common Buzzard so it’s all good news at my local patch.
Mike
Old Tuesday 23rd June 2020, 10:39   #627
hughm

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- VERY RARE-ONLY SEEN TWICE IN 17 EASTERS
(CRESTED COOT- seen since 2009 but when did they (if they have) become self-sustaining? Opinions welcome!)
BLACK-NECKED GREBE 25.iv.2000 and 10.iv.2008- both at Depuradora
WHITE-HEADED DUCK 18.IV 2000 and 7.iv.2004- male at Albufera (probably same bird- from failed re-introduction)
MONTAGU'S HARRIER 16.iv 2000 at Pollensa Park hotel and 14.iv.2003 10 at Boquer Valley
SPOTTED CRAKE 18.iv.2000 and 7.iv 2004 both at Albufera
TEMMINCK'S STINT 3.iv.2013 and 5.iv.2017 (2) both records at Albufera
BLACK-TAILED GODWIT 28.iii.2002 and 9.iv.2014 both at Albufera
WHIMBREL 24.iv. 2000 at Torrent San Jordi and 23.iv 2010 at La Gola
MARSH SANDPIPER 28.iii.2002 (3) and 9.iv.2008 (2) at Albufera
GULL-BILLED TERN 25.iv.2000 (2) at Salobrar de Campos and 22.iv 2003 at Albufera
TURTLE DOVE 19.iv. 2003 and 23.iv 2010 at Port de Pollenca
RED-RUMPED SWALLOW 8.IV 2004 at Pollensa Park Hotel and 1.iv.2016 at Maristany
BLACK-EARED WHEATEAR 25.iv.2003 and 11.iv.2015 both at Boquer Valley
ROCK THRUSH 27.iv.2000 and 18.iv.2003 both at Boquer finca terrace
REED WARBLER 18.iv.2000 and 10.iv.2016 both at Albufera
WHITETHROAT 16.iv.2000 AND 25.iv.2003 both at Boquer Valley
COLLARED FLYCATCHER 31.03 2002 Boquer foot by car park, and 2.iv.2016 Avinguda de Bocchoris (pine avenue)
All that now remain are the once only super rarities (for me at Easter anyway) so that will be the next episode
Old Wednesday 24th June 2020, 20:56   #628
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughm View Post
(CRESTED COOT- seen since 2009 but when did they (if they have) become self-sustaining? Opinions welcome!)
Hi Hugh
As I understand it (and I'm not sure if it was an introduction (possibly) or reintroduction) but on Mallorca, at S'Albufera, 20 captive-bred individuals were released in 2004 and others at s'Albufereta in 2007. What I've not checked is if any subsequent releases were done. In 2007 s'Albufera had 5 breeding pairs were recorded as raising 13 chicks. Most, if not all, of the released birds had the white neck rings.
Old Thursday 25th June 2020, 20:52   #629
Mike Montier

It’s all gone rather quiet here, as is to be expected.
Migration is over and it’s a bit early for returning waders.
It’s also been a funny old year, for obvious reasons.
The strange thing is, I’ve just had a count-up of all the species I’ve seen this year, and my total is my highest ever.
All a bit strange as I couldn’t leave the apartment for at least eight weeks.
I guess I’ve seen a few species that I wouldn’t otherwise have encountered were it not for lockdown.
I missed so many really common migrants though, like Whinchat, Wood Warbler and even flaming Willow Warbler. I hope to catch up with them in the autumn but they are not as easy then.
If I manage that I should reach my target of 200 which is always very satisfying.
A few Brits are coming out soon which will be nice.
I look forward to seeing some of you later in the year too.
I hope everyone is well,
Mike
Old Saturday 27th June 2020, 09:50   #630
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Rock Sparrow

It is always nice to comprove that the little colonies are still present one year more, in this case is the Rock sparrows colony near the Cap Blanc (south of Majorca), today I have seen at least 11-13 birds, leaving the cliffs to feed in the fields, and several chickens.

I am so glad one year more they survived the falcons and gulls in the cliffs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	198 GorrioRoquer.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	730799  Click image for larger version

Name:	198 GorrioRoquerJove.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	730800  
Old Monday 29th June 2020, 18:27   #631
Mike Montier

A boat trip out today from Porto Colom was fun and I was amazed at the number of Pallid swift colonies that we saw.
The birds were swirling round and sweeping into the caves, of which there are plenty along the coast going south.
Common Swift can be seen in huge numbers in just about every village here. The young are on the wing but sadly they will depart all too soon. It’s a sad day when they go, like something is missing.
Mike
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 10:50   #632
hughm

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- THE RAREST OF ALL- SEEN ONCE
Caveat- this only refers to my Easter visits- many of these are common winter visitors I saw if they were late leaving one year, as well as the genuinely rare passage migrants. I also have missed some common summer visitors as the latest date I have been on Mallorca is 28th April- so I have never seen Honey Buzzard.
GANNET 9.iv.2007 at exit from Coves d'Arta
BITTERN 18.iv.2000 heard at Albufera
BLACK STORK 22.iv.2003 2 at Salobrar de Campos
WHITE STORK 7.iv 2013 over Pollensa Park Hotel
SPOONBILL 3.IV 2013 at Albufera
EGYPTIAN GOOSE 4.iv 2002 at Depuradora (status unknown- comments welcome)
COMMON SCOTER 1 and 3.iv 2017 at Maristany
RED-BREASTED MERGANSER 26.iii.2005 at Pollenca Bay
SHORT-TOED EAGLE 7.iv.2013 at Boquer Valley
HEN HARRIER 14.iv.2003 at Boquer Valley
PALLID HARRIER 6.iv.2017 at Albufereta
COMMON CRANE 10.IV.2013 at Albufera
GOLDEN PLOVER 6.iv 2007 at Albufera
LAPWING 23.iii.2005 at Albufera
KNOT 18.iv.2000 at Albufera
CURLEW SANDPIPER 17.iv.2003 at Albufera
JACK SNIPE 5.iv.2017 at Albufera
SLENDER-BILLED GULL 2.iv.2002 at Depuradora
LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL 25.iii.2002 at Pollensa Bay
SKYLARK 2.iv.2007 flock of ca20 N through Albufereta
RED-THROATED PIPIT 9.iv.2014 at Albufera
EASTERN STONECHAT (variegata) 24th-28th.iii.2002 Pollensa Park Hotel grounds
SPECTACLED WARBLER 21.iv.2000 at Cuber Reservoir
GARDEN WARBLER 20.iv.2000 at Banys de la Font
GOLDCREST 3.iv.2015 at Alcanada
GOLDEN ORIOLE 23.iv.2000 at Postage Stamp Wood

THE END
(MALLORCA LIST 178- PLUS SACRED IBIS WHICH I DO NOT COUNT)
THANKS FOR PUTTING UP WITH ME OVER THE LAST 15 WEEKS!
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 12:15   #633
johnsnapper

thanks for putting your reports on i have enjoyed reading them, missing puerto pollensa, love the place,
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 13:56   #634
tperry

Very interesting account Hugh.

We have been to Majorca several times starting in 1987 and always enjoyed our family and birding holidays

Sadly we won't be able to visit again so it is good to follow this thread and it was also good to read about your experiences and the places you have been.

Tony
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 18:45   #635
Ben Nevis

Fantastic reading,Hugh.Thanks for posting.

This shall be the first time In 8 years,we shall not be visiting Mallorca.To make matters worse,we always fly out from Scotland on the first weekend of July
Needless to say,I hope to be back as usual next summer,as I love the Island,It's people and It's birds
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 19:56   #636
Mike Montier

It seems that the Brown booby has taken up residence on the Island of Cabrera.
There is some stunning footage of it in flight.
I think it can be seen from Cap de Ses Salines as I often see Gannets flying by in the winter and they are quite visible even at that distance.
I will be there in the morning.
No sleep tonight then.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Wednesday 1st July 2020 at 21:16.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 20:19   #637
foresttwitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Brown boogie
Don't forget your dancing shoes then Mike.

Can't see the birds for the trees!
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 20:57   #638
Mike Montier

Oops! Spellcheck, sorry...but an amusing response Pete.
Old Thursday 2nd July 2020, 06:47   #639
timsg80
Gregor Tims

Sadly I’ve been too busy to be able to look for most of my remaining Mallorca targets in recent days, but I’ll be sure to try for each of them before I head off on the 8th, it feels very soon now!

Thanks to Josep and Mike’s directions, I was able to find the Rock Sparrows at Cap Blanc, at least eight of them by the cliffs, what beautiful birds they are. Also lots of Blue Rockthrushes and some Tawny Pipits there. The same day I went to Es Salobrar. Sadly no migrant waders there yet, but a wonderful number of Avocets and Black-winged Stilts with lots of young and four Flamingoes there too.

Besides that, my only birding has been in the form of regular trips to Bassa de Can Guidet and Prat de Sant Jordi every time I’ve been into Palma. There have been quite a few Green Sandpipers at both, as well as some Common Sandpipers at Can Guidet, so autumn migration is underway! The Barnacle Goose is still at Sant Jordi, along with two Glossy Ibises and a handful of other waterbirds. There’s a magnificent summer-plumage Black-necked Grebe at Can Guidet.

I’ve tried lots of times to find the White Storks around Sant Jordi/Casablanca but without luck, so if anyone has any advice on where to look it would be very much appreciated!

A Brown Booby would definitely be a nice bonus before I go!

Thanks��
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CA41C486-2B2B-428C-9FDC-AD7499637221.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	486.3 KB
ID:	731194  Click image for larger version

Name:	28CE54F3-736C-421C-AD20-2AEB1A41B2F0.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	731195  

gregorsbirdblog.blogspot.com
Old Thursday 2nd July 2020, 12:48   #640
Mike Montier

Nice photos Gregor.
How far did you have to walk from the lighthouse?
I was at the Cap de Ses Salines very early this morning.
There were a few Scopoli’s shearwaters and mixed gulls.
I had a sighting of a large bird flying towards me from far out but I lost it pretty much as soon as I got on it. It definitely wasn’t a gull.
I will be going every morning from now on and hope that it stays a while longer.
Mike
Old Thursday 2nd July 2020, 13:59   #641
timsg80
Gregor Tims

Thanks Mike! I walked about two kilometres east of the lighthouse, the exact coordinates were (39.3674033, 2.8049938). The sounds of cicadas was totally overwhelming so I couldn’t hear any birds and decided to wait at a spot overlooking the cliffs, and the sparrows soon appeared!

It’s surely likely that the Brown Booby will stay for some time, if I can find the time I’ll try to look for it. It would be nice if it relocated to some Mallorcan cliffs

Old Thursday 2nd July 2020, 19:33   #642
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsg80 View Post
I’ve tried lots of times to find the White Storks around Sant Jordi/Casablanca but without luck, so if anyone has any advice on where to look it would be very much appreciated!
Today 8 white storks were at the Cami de Muntanya, in sonferriol, you have turn right in the Repsol petrol station and go on this path until the end near airport.
https://goo.gl/maps/BE7itQ2qpbM4Gfyh6
Good luck
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 09:45   #643
timsg80
Gregor Tims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep Manchado View Post
Today 8 white storks were at the Cami de Muntanya, in sonferriol, you have turn right in the Repsol petrol station and go on this path until the end near airport.
https://goo.gl/maps/BE7itQ2qpbM4Gfyh6
Good luck
Thanks so much again Josep, I found the eight White Storks exactly there this morning! Also two Quails calling, two Peregrine Falcons and a handful of other nice farmland birds there:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S71074663

I then went to Bassa de Can Guidet again, where there are now two summer-plumaged Black-necked Grebes among the other common waterbirds. Also four Green Sandpipers, a beautiful Marsh Harrier flying behind the reservoir and an Eleonora's Falcon hunting over the water.

Finally I also made a quick visit to Sant Jordi. There was no sign of the Barnacle Goose nor the Glossy Ibis today, but a nice number of waders were present, with eight each of Black-winged Stilt and Green Sandpiper, some Little Ringed Plovers and, best of all, two Wood Sandpipers, a Mallorca tick for me! What a fantastic morning :)

Old Sunday 5th July 2020, 17:53   #644
timsg80
Gregor Tims

I did the beautiful walk from Valldemossa to Puig des Teix this morning in search of Common Rockthrush and Spectacled Warbler. Thanks to Josep for his directions! I would have been totally lost without them!

Sadly I didn’t see either of the targets, though I did hear Common Rockthrush. I actually saw loads of rockthrushes up at the top, but every individual I checked (at least nine!) was Blue. I suspect I probably should have gone in June or May instead as the warblers weren’t calling. But at least I’ve got a couple of targets for the next time in Mallorca!

There were some nice birds on the way, including several Black and one Griffon Vulture, Eleonora’s and Peregrine Falcons, lots of Wrens and Firecrests, a Wryneck and most surprisingly a Chiffchaff singing. I see that they were also seen here in June, is there a small population breeding here?

Old Tuesday 7th July 2020, 12:51   #645
Mcnswiss2

Back on the wonderful Island.
Flights easy and health check up at the airport very efficient. A great app “ Spain Travel Health” SPTH really helps.
Thanks to all those on the Island for keeping the birding spirit alive.
I enjoyed reading this forum during our lockdown.
Many thanks to Hugh for his interesting stories.
It is possibly not the best time to visit as migration is over and temperatures are rising, but the low number of people around for this time of the year makes it an interesting visit.
A short trip to S’Albuferata (North) and Can Currassa Road showed the ususal species including Fan-tailed warblers, Cetti warblers, Little Egrets, Common Kestrels, distant view of booted Eagle, Goldfinches, Swifts, Black winged Stilts, Purple Gallinule and Ringed Plover.
Now where are the Rollers, Bee Eaters, Spotless Starlings, etc etc

Last edited by Mcnswiss2 : Tuesday 7th July 2020 at 13:34.
Old Tuesday 7th July 2020, 16:43   #646
Mike Montier

Welcome back Mike, glad you made it and thanks for the very useful information which will no doubt be good news for others to hear.
I will look forward to your posts as it’s been a bit of a struggle keeping the forum going without any visitors.
It’s the quietest time of the year anyway but there should be some return migration soon.
Lots of common Swift are leaving now and I saw seven Turtle doves on the road down to the Cap de Ses Salines a couple of days ago. They always leave early.
I have been most days looking for the Brown booby and I have seen a bird three times flying around just to the right of the lighthouse but it’s so far away it’s just a shadow. It’s not a gull though.
Some friends are getting a boat over there, all non birders, and I have managed to hitch a ride. I will ask if they can detour en route to take in the small islands where the bird was seen. You never know. Gregor said he thinks it may stay but it has already been there a long while I assume. We will see.
No other news but hopefully I will be meeting up with the Brits who are coming over and we can see what’s around.
Mike
Old Tuesday 7th July 2020, 20:56   #647
Geordie Dave

Mike, I'm looking forward to arriving back in Mallorca next Tuesday. It will be my first visit in 4 months, I last left in mid March the day after "lock down" started. Clearly I've missed the spring migration but after this 2 weeks stay I will be back again in August and September/October so I've a chance of seeing some of the return passage. Looking forward to catching up with you and Mike Swiss and anyone else who's about. I've not been in Mallorca in July before, preferring to avoid the hottest time of the year, so the weather combined with the fewer numbers of people around should make for an interesting visit. See you next week?
Old Wednesday 8th July 2020, 14:45   #648
Mcnswiss2

Early Morning visit to Son Real, Son Bosc and the Depuradora.
The cicadas were deafening! Many Swallowtails, Cleopatra, Speckled Woods Butterflies. A great time for entomologists.
Birds seen included:Tawny Pipit, Turtle Doves, Greenfinches, Nightingales, Cetti Warblers, Blackcaps, Goldfinches, Serins, Kestrels, Blackheaded gulls, Yellowlegged gulls, Blackwinged Stilts, Common Terns.
No sign of bee eaters at Son Bosc. Maybe too late!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7E262B12-4A6F-4D90-8D35-4C27D6A05D88.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	731696  Click image for larger version

Name:	92694814-73F5-424C-9008-DC84F10F260A.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	731697  Click image for larger version

Name:	9DAFD7B4-73F8-45D9-B6C9-477F84408542.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	731698  
Old Wednesday 8th July 2020, 15:19   #649
Mcnswiss2

And a few bird photos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CFE6CE5C-9188-4BAB-B662-32B92A13294A.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	731705  Click image for larger version

Name:	7A66C524-F7C3-451F-8036-EA3A8B508940.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	731706  Click image for larger version

Name:	DF1E78E8-A117-44A4-9FC8-58EFFB67811A.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	601.3 KB
ID:	731707  
Old Wednesday 8th July 2020, 19:52   #650
Mike Montier

Going back to the debate some time ago about the Red-necked Nightjar heard calling in Mallorca on the tv series “White Lines”, I spoke to a tv producer last night and he said that every time they do a shoot, especially at night time, they are always adding in Tawny owls, foxes and other animals for extra effect.
I have little doubt that the calling Nightjar was added afterwards and was not heard here in Mallorca at the time of filming. They are an extreme rarity here.
Hope that settles the debate.
Mike
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: