• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow 'Nesting hole' in our Eaves. (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

I think I have found our Sparrow hole for their nesting requirements in our eaves. Little monkeys have been doing some woodwork of their own.

I also believe this 'hole' might have been a creation by the local Starlings. (we have a lot of them in our garden too)
As we all know how sharp their beaks are.
The reason why is because one of the little blighters got stuck down the chimney stack (the protruding wall is the chimney stack) last year. All we could hear was the cheaping that they do so I can only imagine the worst.

We can live with it as the eaves will protect any rain from getting in ther hole. I like my Sparrows too much I am afraid!!

So we will live with it all together. Anyone else had any experiences like this?

Last edited:
Here are the photo's of the hole

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hi Kathy,

Many many years ago we had Sparrows getting through the end board on the fascia and nesting in the loft. I'm afraid that they had to go as in our case rain was getting in. We let them nest first and then replaced the board.

Since then the only thing was a BIG wasp nest under the edge of the tiles. I noticed Summer 2007 that there were a lot of wasps flying around the drive and had my suspicions. Didn't do anything then as we were due to have some roof repairs done anyway. When they lifted the tiles in early 2008 this is what they found!

Bill

Attachments

• DS wasps nest under tiles 280108 1.jpg
    DS wasps nest under tiles 280108 1.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DS wasps nest under tiles 280108 3.jpg
    DS wasps nest under tiles 280108 3.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DS wasps nest under tiles 280108 4.jpg
    DS wasps nest under tiles 280108 4.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 15
Hi Kathy,

Many many years ago we had Sparrows getting through the end board on the fascia and nesting in the loft. I'm afraid that they had to go as in our case rain was getting in. We let them nest first and then replaced the board.

Since then the only thing was a BIG wasp nest under the edge of the tiles. I noticed Summer 2007 that there were a lot of wasps flying around the drive and had my suspicions. Didn't do anything then as we were due to have some roof repairs done anyway. When they lifted the tiles in early 2008 this is what they found!

Bill

Hi Bill

That is a bit of a mess for your roof space. Looks like a mixture of Sparrow nesting material, and Wasps nests too. I hope that it was not too costly for you. Have you any further problems now? :eek!:

I think with the Sparrow issue we will wait until they have nested and have a look in our attic. We can stand upright in our attic so it is not confined in any way. We will see what is what then. Just hope Wasps or Bees do not take a notion to the hole too, otherwise that wil be the end of the line for the Sparrow nest.

The thing is now we do not want to disturb the Sparrows just incase they are in the nesting phase at the moment. I get a feeling that the hole in the eaves was there long before we moved in the rental, so it might be a well established home for the Sparrows now.

We will see what happens next. ;)

Hi Kathy,

No that was 'just' wasp nest material, I didn't get to see it until after the roofers had disturbed it. That area of tiles comes down to a flat roof and that needed re-covering; normally they would have only removed the first row of tiles but with the nest there........ All OK now, the wasps didn't come back last summer. Just as well because I'm allergic to wasp stings. Instead I had Hornets in the blue-tit box!

We let our Spadgers finish nesting before we repaired the hole but apart from wet getting in they had made quite a mess up there. I suppose the answer is a Sparrow nest box but we live in a bungalow and the eaves are a bit too low. Also we have concrete paths all round and it could get pretty messy.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back