• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good birds seen from restaurants (1 Viewer)

My oh my, Allen. What a great thread! How have I missed it before? Glad you bumped it up for us relative newcomers to Birdforum to see. I'm not into cars and birding or planes and birding, but restaurants and birding...oh yes. The thing is I worked in the industry for fifteen years and I've got too many tales to tell, but I also, like you, enjoy being on the other side and sitting eating whilst casually watching things going about their business in front of me. The guys I first went birding overseas with in 1988 are now World Listing at some 6000 and 7000 species, but not me. I'll give it my all for a few hours but leisurely lunches and afternoon naps are a must. I used to regularly relax at Los Colibries Restaurant in Mindo, Ecuador with its many hummingbird feeders outside. One day,mid-morning, I noticed the proprietress looking unusually anxious arranging tables and chairs. In halting Spanish I asked if there was anything I could do to help and that's how I ended up serving there for three days with Booted Racket-tails and co zipping about outside. Had a six-month spell cheffing on Fair Isle as well. Blyth's Reed Warbler, several Red-backed Shrikes, Booted Warbler, Citrine Wagtail from the kitchen window. Had to run out for a White's Thrush one morning while cooking breakfast for thirty-four people!
I must admit to liking this thread as well. It's pretty clear that a lot of us birders like our food:eat:

Rich

I must admit to liking this thread as well. It's pretty clear that a lot of us birders like our food:eat:

Rich

perhaps there should be a "Collins" guide to the best eats at birding sites (No visit to Titchwell would be complete without a pasty from the RSPB café.):eat:

I can't say that I have seen any unusual birds when eating out but I have certainly found some great places to eat when out birding.

perhaps there should be a "Collins" guide to the best eats at birding sites (No visit to Titchwell would be complete without a pasty from the RSPB café.):eat:

I can't say that I have seen any unusual birds when eating out but I have certainly found some great places to eat when out birding.

Perhaps I should have styled the thread something enjoyable eating and birding, as birds don't have to be unusual to be enjoyable to watch.

Perhaps I should have styled the thread something enjoyable eating and birding, as birds don't have to be unusual to be enjoyable to watch.

In that case if anyone is ever in the north Derbyshire/south yorks area I can heartily recommend the Riverside herb centre café in Hathersage. Not only is the food good but they have panoramic windows overlooking the woods and river with feeding stations that bring non stop action from a whole variety of birds including a full array of tits, finches, siskin, nuthatch and GSW etc. right up close.

A great way to while away an hour or so.

Attachments

• hathersage.jpg
    hathersage.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 23
Sandwich Tern and Iceland Gull seen whilst eating a sluice of Chocolate Fudge Cake at Juliet's Garden, Porthloo, St Mary's this afternoon. (Sadly I nearly choked when reading the tweets of a twitchable Iceland Gull on my patch - a patch tick - about half a mile from my house.)

All the best

Sandwich Tern and Iceland Gull seen whilst eating a sluice of Chocolate Fudge Cake at Juliet's Garden, Porthloo, St Mary's this afternoon. (Sadly I nearly choked when reading the tweets of a twitchable Iceland Gull on my patch - a patch tick - about half a mile from my house.)

All the best

Eating a whole sluice of Fudge Cake, I'm not surprised you choked!

John

Carvi Beach Hotel, Lagos, Portugal

I stayed in Carvi Beach Hotel at the southern edge of Lagos last month. The restaurant, Luca's Rooftop Restaurant, was great for an excellent selection of Portuguese food and wine, and allowed good views of the local birdlife. The azure-winged (Iberian) magpies were an almost constant feature around the hotel and sometimes perched on the railing by the restaurant. One evening a hoopoe flew overhead while I was enjoying my meal. Other birds seen from the restaurant included little egrets, common swifts, bee-eaters and kestrels.

We had a party of the scarce Black-faced Babbler pass by as we sat at the bar at Roy's Camp in the Caprivi, seemed easy to see there generally.

Osprey from the restaurant of Clachan Cottage Hotel, Lochearnhead, Scotland, and near Dijon, France, Black Redstart in the courtyard of Logis Hotel La Flambee.

Lee

I had my lifer Broad-tailed Hummingbird from a restaurant in the Grand Tetons in Wyoming. I didn't have binoculars on hand, but the wing trill erased any ID doubts!

I was in Australia in September, having some good bird experiences while dining. The best, although it didn't involve a rarity, was in Busselton, WA. I had my lunch every day in the Zen Coffee Lounge, which is on the main drag in town. On each of the three occasions that I ate there, a Willie wagtail came into the café and wandered around, not eating much if that is what it was looking for. I like to think that it was just checking part of its territory. The lasses behind the counter told me that the bird comes in quite a lot. On the last day, when I was about to leave the town, the Willie wagtail came in, stood next to me and started singing. "He doesn't do that very often," I was told. A friend in Perth told me that some of the Aboriginal people think of Willie wagtails as spirit birds. I had been thinking that there is something very special about them!

Hi Restaurant Birders

I've dipped into this thread on and off for years but never really had anything to contribute UNTIL NOW.

Earlier this year I went to Provence; in March. Top of the list of target species was Wallcreeper. Les Baux is a known winter location for this species but mid-March was pushing it.....was it too late? Nevertheless we made the attempt. This species winters at lower altitudes. We scanned the crags on the way, no luck and arriving at Les Baux we strolled up to the top, found there was a 6 Euro entrance fee to the citadel, decided to do it but went back to the car for the scope, got the scope and then decided to stop for coffee on this sunny morning. My husband wanted to sit inside as it was a little chilly; I said no let's sit outside. Happily drinking our coffee outside and scanning the crags with bins.....heyho presto a Wallcreeper! What luck! Husband gets on to it too and we watch it for about 5 minutes, really clear and nice views! Then it flies behind some trees out of site on another bit of crag. So we take to scanning elsewhere and see Alpine Accentor on a rooftop.

We continue on up to the citadel as planned, spend about half a day there looking for another glimpse of the Wallcreeper..............no luck, the cafe view was the only sighting we had.
Hi - any idea when in March you saw Wallcreeper in Les Baux?- we have been twice in February but this year it may have to be letter and wondering whether Les Baux isn't going to be worth it.

I’ve been in Köyceğiz in SW Turkey for the last couple of weeks. From any of the promenade restaurants I’ve seen multiple Black-necked Grebes, regular Marsh Harrier, a couple of Pygmy Cormorants, Kingfisher, Serin, Crested Lark & countless Black Redstarts. Often for the price of a glass of tea.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back