• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Windows 7 (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
I really didn't like Windows 10 so have stuck with 7 however, I'm now having problems asscociated with its age.

My e-mail system often has gliches and Firefox is often faulty which I suspect is down the age of my OS.

Yesterday, I got a message from Skype 'Skype no longer supports the version of Windows you are using', has anyone else had issues like this?

Looks like I will finally have to upgrade at some point soon.

Hi Andy... had no choice I had to get a new laptop, and it had the dreaded W10 on it.

However, the computer shop installed a wee free programme called Classic Shell, which makes your computer screen look and act like W7, with the start button and task bar etc. Been using it now for several years and forget I've actually got W10 on this machine LOL

Here's a link: http://classicshell.net/

After a near hard drive failure my PC guy has installed W10 and I’m dreading getting it back. Support and updates finish for W7 in January 2020. Not sure what to think. At least I have my iPad Pro.

I have been happy enough about 10. I am using my ipad for fun, but when I need work done, a PC functions better for me.

Niels

I don't get the problem here. Windows 8 was radically different, and weird.
But Windows 10 is very similar to windows 7 isn't it? It has start button, file manager, desktop etc.
I put most of my family members on Linux to escape windows 8 when xp ended!, but they have all gone on to windows 10 now without any problems.

So, i'd say windows 10 should be fine, (not as good as my Chromebook, but you can't have everything;) )

I don't get the problem here. Windows 8 was radically different, and weird.
But Windows 10 is very similar to windows 7 isn't it? It has start button, file manager, desktop etc.
I put most of my family members on Linux to escape windows 8 when xp ended!, but they have all gone on to windows 10 now without any problems.

So, i'd say windows 10 should be fine, (not as good as my Chromebook, but you can't have everything;) )

I installed W10 when it first came out, I did it myself with the assurance that 'all your files will be where you left them', they were not and the desktop is very different from what I remember. The eventual installation of 10 is inescapable now though it seems.

Last edited:
Well, save your data before doing anything like that, maybe go on YouTube, watch some windows 10 tutorials.

I did have stuff backed up but it still didn't do what it claimed it would, luckily, I was able to 'roll back' and reinstall W7 and this time, everything was where I left it!

I did have stuff backed up but it still didn't do what it claimed it would, luckily, I was able to 'roll back' and reinstall W7 and this time, everything was where I left it!

But you will soon have to ‘move on’ Andy. The guy who repaired my PC told me that W10 is far better than it was and I should have it. I didn’t have any choice...he just installed it without asking.

I rarely use the PC as everything is done on the iPad, so it’s no big deal. Apart from having to part with £150.00 tomorrow :-((

Last edited:
But you will soon have to ‘move on’ Andy. The guy who repaired my PC told me that W10 is far better than it was and I should have it. I didn’t have any choice...he just installed it without asking.

I rarely use the PC as everything is done on the iPad, so it’s no big deal. Apart from having to part with £150.00 tomorrow :-((

£150 to install Windows.....!!!

I can get a terabyte hard drive and a full installation / configuration for less than that. If you have a purchase certificate for the Windows operating system, the update should be free?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back