• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Returning Nikon Prostaff 7s 10x42? (1 Viewer)

bugeyed

I am exchanging my Nikon Prostaff 7s 10x42 bins tomorrow & the only in-stock replacement choice is the Vortex Diamondback 10x42. Is this a good swap? Any opinions? Good move or should I hold out for the Nikons?

Thanks,
Kev

Last edited:
Vortex has one of the best warranties in the business so that should be no problem if you have to deal with them.

The Diamondbacks are not Vortex's best binoculars but they have been one of Vortex's best sellers over the years.

The current 10x42 is probably the 3rd version of the 10x42 Diamondback. It is not as ruggedly built as the original version which was built like a tank. I have one of the first 8x42 tank versions of the Diamondback.;) I got mine about 12 years ago. I seldom use it any more but it is still working well. It cost just under $200.00 then.

I'd call it an even swap for the Nikon Prostaff 7S 10x42.

I'm thinking about donating mine to my American Legion Post which overlooks a lake that has a variety of waterfowl and a nesting pair of Bald Eagles nearby.

Bob

Last edited:
Good move to ditch the Prostaffs. I checked out a pair thinking they would make good car binos with their light weight and wide fov. The glare was so bad it was like looking through an ice fog. I’m not a big fan of Vortex’s and sold my Diamondback 8x32s so will leave it at that.

My advice for a nice glass in that price range would be the Bushnell Engage. There is currently a $70 rebate deal through the end of the month so they would cost about the same as the ProStaffs. These have very impressive optics. Another option would be the Bushnell Legend M. These have garnered great reviews here and come with a lifetime no fault warranty. Both of these have much better optics than the ProStaff at comparable prices.

Yes! I believe the Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42 would be a better choice. Vortex have a better warranty.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back