• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to carry binoculars? (1 Viewer)

November

Hi erveryone,

I cannot make friends with most of the bino carrying straps.
I wonder what you are using when beeing out on an observation trip to carry your binos.

Do you use the carrying strap provided with the binos or do you have a different solution and if so, what is it?

Furthermore some manufacturers of optics supply a bino case in the scope of delivery. Do you use this case or not?

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with a birding beginner. :)

Best regards,
November

I am out on a 1-1.5 hour walk in the fields and woods every day (weekends 2hours) and always carry my binoculars (usually 7x42 or 8x42, occasionally larger) on the neck strap.
For me the most natural, efficient way to carry binoculars.
I have tried all sorts of other devices, such as cross straps etc., but always came back to the neck strap.
Not all binoculars come with a comfortable strap, so I occasionally use third party products (e.g. from Niggeloh).

Canip

Hi,

strap user here too - never tried anything else and am usually fine with the supplied ones - but I tend to use lighter pairs and care more about how I carry my scope...

As for cases - when out birding, certainly not, neither any lens covers just a rainguard for the eyepieces, either supplied or 3rd party if the supplied ones is not so great.
Might use the case before I put the bins into my backback or so - depends on what pair I use... a pair of roofs with a good armour, rainguard and integral lenscovers on will go in as is, a nice porro will probably get the case...

Joachim

I cannot make friends with most of the bino carrying straps.

You don't say why you can't make friends.

I can't be friends with most neck straps but I do use them. I'm one of the odd people who doesn't like neoprene straps for their tendency to be quite hot, bulky, not breathable, and chafe my skin. With one exception. The small, rolled edge strap that came with my Zeiss Victory 8x25s is pretty good. Too much strap for the little Zeiss, I use the strap on my 8x42 Monarch HGs and is pretty ideal for that IMO.

I made a hybrid strap of 1.5mm nylon cord and leather for the Zeiss 8x25s and use the Leica supplied strap for my 8x32 Trinovid BNs. Leica got this strap right. It is unobtrusive and but 10mm wide except for the area behind the neck which widens to about 20mm and is rubber.

All my larger binoculars have no straps. I hand hold them or they're carried on a tripod. Other smaller binoculars have a wrist tether attached to be secured to one's hand while carrying.

Attachments

• 8x32 1.jpg
    8x32 1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 130
  • Zeiss with Strap.jpg
    Zeiss with Strap.jpg
    745.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Nikon Strap.jpg
    Nikon Strap.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back