• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello and help (1 Viewer)

paigerich

Hello and HELP!!

I'm Richard from Chester and I'm after some help and advice.
About 4 weeks ago our cat chased a baby collared dove that had obviously fallen from his nest. I managed to save him and placed him in a box of out of harms way. It then transpired that mum was still around so we let him out of the box twice a day and mum would come down and feed him. I also thought his wing was broken so had him checked by the local vet who said he was fine.
Anyway this has gone on for about 4 weeks he can fly now but not far but a little further and higher each day. Mum isn't coming down anymore but he's eating wild bird food and drinking water from a rescepticle in the garden. My question is what do I do now? When will he actually be strong enough to fly off and look after himself? Do I take him to a field and let him go...... Please if anyone has any help I'd be very grateful.
Many thanks
Richard

Hi Rich and welcome to BirdForum. Hopefully you’ll get the right advice from one of our very knowledgable members soon.

Rich

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

I would leave him alone in the garden to fend for himself. Another time, it would be better to leave baby birds where their parents can reach them and look after them rather than put them in a box.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back