• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40D died today! (1 Viewer)

Let us know what you think with the combination 40d + 400 f5.6.
BTW, what was your other camera you used with the 400 f5.6.
40D + 400 f5.6 is a superb combo, I have also used the 400 f5.6 with the 30D and 350D.
I still have my 30D but only use it as a second body these day as I much prefer the 40D especially for bird photography.
Some of the things I like about the 40D compared to the 30D is (in no particular order):
Better AF - although for Birds in flight (AI servo) you have to be careful as the AF is very sensitive and will lock on to something in the background as soon as you lose the bird.

6.5 FPS and bigger buffer.

Live View which I use for manual focusing in macro shooting.

The three custom modes C1 C2 C3 very handy for pre-setting various modes for birds.

The AF-on button
I have assigned AF to this button instead of using the shutter button, absolutely love this for birds esp when in AI mode (most of the time for me)

Highlight Tone Priority I use this for landscapes and find it very effective.

Automatic Sensor Cleaning IMO this really works.

Custom Functions there are lots of useful custom functions.

I also like the IQ, somehow there is a richness to the colours which is not there on the 30D (not sure if this is down to the 14bit processing).

On the negative side, I have a 400mm f5.6 lens which I use with a taped 1.4 converter at times - when using the centre point only acquiring AF with the tc is nowhere near as good as the 30D (although it works reasonably well on the outer AF points).

Last edited:
40D + 400 f5.6 is a superb combo, I have also used the 400 f5.6 with the 30D and 350D (I still have the 30D but only use it as a second body these days). The 40D is a great birding camera IMO.

I think I already know that ? Because I have the 450d, I don't think it makes
sence to buy a 40d, I will wait for the 50d.

40D + 400 f5.6 is a superb combo, I have also used the 400 f5.6 with the 30D and 350D.
I still have my 30D but only use it as a second body these day as I much prefer the 40D especially for bird photography.
Some of the things I like about the 40D compared to the 30D is (in no particular order):
Better AF - although for Birds in flight (AI servo) you have to be careful as the AF is very sensitive and will lock on to something in the background as soon as you lose the bird.

6.5 FPS and bigger buffer.

Live View which I use for manual focusing in macro shooting.

The three custom modes C1 C2 C3 very handy for pre-setting various modes for birds.

The AF-on button
I have assigned AF to this button instead of using the shutter button, absolutely love this for birds esp when in AI mode (most of the time for me)

Highlight Tone Priority I use this for landscapes and find it very effective.

Automatic Sensor Cleaning IMO this really works.

Custom Functions there are lots of useful custom functions.

I also like the IQ, somehow there is a richness to the colours which is not there on the 30D (not sure if this is down to the 14bit processing).

On the negative side, I have a 400mm f5.6 lens which I use with a taped 1.4 converter at times - when using the centre point only acquiring AF with the tc is nowhere near as good as the 30D (although it works reasonably well on the outer AF points).

I think I am right in saying that the 450d has all of the above, except the 6.5 FPS
it has 3.5 FPS, but thats pretty fast, can't say at the moment I have really
needed. The "AF-on button" I don't quite understand what you mean, and
weather its a asset ? and of cause the 450d's got 12.2 meg pix.
Also the 40d is very heavy compared to the 450d and the other bit I did
not like was the little window on the top with your settings the 450d has this
in large letters and numbers on the 3" screen with just one slow press of the shutter button.

Here is the thing will you upgrade to the 50d when it comes out with
all the new goodies like flip screen 13meg pix etc etc ???

One of the reasons I bought a 40D instead of the 450D was the metal body (especially for use with the longer lenses) and it's physical size as I found the 450D too small in my hands. The Canon £100 cashback also reduced the differential at the time to just £50 and as I would have had to purchase SDHC cards in addition to my existing CF cards there was no contest.

Will I buy a 50D when it comes out? I'll say no but have now owned a 300D, 350D, 400D and currently have a 30D and 40D so perhaps my reputation to date will prove me wrong!

There's no guarantee that the 50D will emerge in the Spring and certainly no way of knowing what the new bells and whistles will cause it to sell for.

'the other bit I did
in large letters and numbers on the 3" screen with just one slow press of the shutter button'.

The settings can also be displayed on the 3" screen on the 40D if you so wish in addition to the LCD on top. There is an advantage in having a LCD on top in addition to the 3" LCD. Very handy if the camera is mounted at a low level for example.

JSD

I think I am right in saying that the 450d has all of the above, except the 6.5 FPS
it has 3.5 FPS, but thats pretty fast, can't say at the moment I have really
needed. The "AF-on button" I don't quite understand what you mean, and
weather its a asset ? and of cause the 450d's got 12.2 meg pix.
Also the 40d is very heavy compared to the 450d and the other bit I did
in large letters and numbers on the 3" screen with just one slow press of the shutter button.
LOL - You are not seriously suggesting that the 450D is better than the 40D ;)

LOL - You are not seriously suggesting that the 450D is better than the 40D ;)

No, not at all Roy I am just trying to keep sane, over buying the 450d and not the 40d....

Knowledge is a terrible thing, you know when you might have made a mistake.

But given the same circumstances and the budget I thought I had I would have gone
for the 450d. Given the Budget I had in the end and did not tell
the wife I would have gone for the 40d.

Hope that all makes sense.

BTW, It will make more sence for me to upgrade when the 50d comes out.

Last edited:
Here is the thing will you upgrade to the 50d when it comes out with
all the new goodies like flip screen 13meg pix etc etc ???

I would think about buying one if they got their finger out at quality control.
I'm on my second 40D at the moment (touch wood ) the first one failed and it was the same problem as Ian's, error 99 & a stuck mirror/shutter, so come on Canon get it together!:-C

Last edited:
My wifes waiting patiently for the "50D" to come out. She's into macro work. Are there any firm indications as to what features/spec there will be on it? The ability to autofocus with converters on would be a help for a start (so I can borrow it when she's working!!). I use a 20D (with 100-400 and 1.4x kenko pro 300) and wouldn't really consider upgrading until this is possible.

My 40d will focus with the 1.4 converter with the prime 400mm f5.6 lens with the pins taped. It will not focus on auto with the 100-400IS lens

My wifes waiting patiently for the "50D" to come out. She's into macro work. Are there any firm indications as to what features/spec there will be on it? The ability to autofocus with converters on would be a help for a start (so I can borrow it when she's working!!). I use a 20D (with 100-400 and 1.4x kenko pro 300) and wouldn't really consider upgrading until this is possible.
The 40D (or any of the XXXD and XXD cameras) will AF with converters it is just that they will not AF over f5.6. If you have a f4 or quicker lens then AF with a 1.4tc is no problem. At the moment it is only series 1 cameras that AF at f8 (even then only with the centre focus point). I would be highly surprised if the next non 1 series camera would AF at f8 so I think you will be waiting a long time.

My 40d will focus with the 1.4 converter with the prime 400mm f5.6 lens with the pins taped. It will not focus on auto with the 100-400IS lens

Kim

Help me here please ... do you mean that your 40D will not focus on auto with the 100-400IS lens using any f/stop?

I think she means that it will not autofocus with the converter AND the 100-400mm. It SHOULD be ok with just the lens alone.

I got my 40D today, and so far I am very pleased with it.

I think she means that it will not autofocus with the converter AND the 100-400mm. It SHOULD be ok with just the lens alone.

I got my 40D today, and so far I am very pleased with it.

Thank you for sorting me out, Vectis.

I am hoping you will find the odd moment to report on how your 40D behaves with different lenses, incl 100-400mm, but also how much 17-85mm improves (?) on the old 18-55mm? Is this lens really worth £200 when I have 18-55, 100-400 & tamron 200-500? I have not got a 40D yet.

I didn't get the kit lens with my 40D, Bmarnell, because I already have some Canon lenses.

So far, it works well with my 400mm f5.6 and my 100-300mm Canon USM zoom, but I have not yet tried it with the Sigma 10-20mm - that is something for this weekend.

What a sickener Ian, hope you get the camera back this time working fine!..and permantly fixed...if not its money back.

Got it back today :t:

Only 5 weeks this time 8-P

Hopefully it will be okay from now on. I only managed to get out late this evening to try it out. Conveniently a pair Short-eared Owl have been around the last few days to pose as subjects.

Attachments

• IMG_5906ao.JPG
    IMG_5906ao.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_5913ao.JPG
    IMG_5913ao.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 126
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back