• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

50D Has Canon Got It Right (1 Viewer)

Here is a shot that I took last week with the 50D, its not great I know, but it is quite a heavy crop showing some detail.
I still have a way to go to beat Roys earlier picture that he posted on this thread, but maybe, just maybe tomorrow..........with a bit of luck and a following wind. The 40D is good, but I have now got the bug to prove that the 50D is better......LOL

Attachments

• Heron crop.jpg
    Heron crop.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Heron L.JPG
    Heron L.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 119
Here are the two comparisons unresized and un-Photoshoped.
Thus they are straight matching crops at 100%, so the 50D file has more 'pixels per Kingfisher', but, will it look much better as a picture printed or sized to the web or printed at the same dimensions? I think, very disappointingly, only barely so.
Of course, the 50D has other improvements and 'real photographers' do not take distant birds in poor light, of course, but rare bird photographers do all the time, and for those hoping for great cropability improvements over the 40D, of distant birds at moderately high ISO, it seems they may be disappointed.

Attachments

• 40DTestCrop.jpg
    40DTestCrop.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 50DTestCrop.jpg
    50DTestCrop.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 159
Thanks for posting this comparison which is to me more interesting. I feel there's more detail in the 50D KF although I doubt whether switching from the 40D to the 50D is as effective a way of getting a better image as adding more mm of lens or getting closer. However, it may well be felt by some to be a good enough reason to try the 50D in conjunction with the other improvements already mentioned.

An interesting debate but I shan't be changing cameras yet.

Thanks for posting this comparison which is to me more interesting. I feel there's more detail in the 50D KF although I doubt whether switching from the 40D to the 50D is as effective a way of getting a better image as adding more mm of lens or getting closer. However, it may well be felt by some to be a good enough reason to try the 50D in conjunction with the other improvements already mentioned.

An interesting debate but I shan't be changing cameras yet.

That is a very nice site you have there Tim, I love the layout, great work.

Last edited:
The weather yesterday was horrible all day again, the two shots are from last week again, take into account that I am no were near up to the photographic skills of a lot of the guys and galls on here, I just hope that I am doing the 50D a little justice, these again are with a 100 400 IS L lens and both are at 400mm ISO 400 and with some cropping.
When the sun shines I do (HOPE) to post better pics.

Attachments

• B-H-Gul.JPG
    B-H-Gul.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Reflection.JPG
    Reflection.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 109
Here is a shot that I took last week with the 50D, its not great I know, but it is quite a heavy crop showing some detail.
I still have a way to go to beat Roys earlier picture that he posted on this thread, but maybe, just maybe tomorrow..........with a bit of luck and a following wind. The 40D is good, but I have now got the bug to prove that the 50D is better......LOL

What were the settings for this shot - the crop seems very noisy to me. It's important to remember that the quality of 100% crops is more effected by the lens than the camera.

What were the settings for this shot - the crop seems very noisy to me. It's important to remember that the quality of 100% crops is more effected by the lens than the camera.

The info. is in the exif, I must confess that I have not spent much time doing PP. they are just done quickly in DPP and cropped within DPP, I should have taken more care and run them through CS3.
I thought I might be making a mistake by posting these two.

Last edited:
I wonder if 50D is more noisy than 40D.
Turnstone_1 is made with 40D and Turnstone with 50D.
Both had lenses 100-400 / f4.5 -5.6 IS,shot at the same moment.

Attachments

• Turnstone_1.jpg
    Turnstone_1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Turnstone.jpg
    Turnstone.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 96
I wonder if 50D is more noisy than 40D.
I have uploaded an album of ISO test results from my 30D, 40D and 50D converted to JPEG by DPP and Lightroom at default settings for NR, sharpening and everything else. Files were captured in all available variations of raw/sraw.

http://picasaweb.google.com/EezyTig...SRaw2ISO10012800TestShots?authkey=7KDmp1s3qLg#

I uploaded the files at full resolution but the website will resize them dynamically to fit your screen. You can zoom in somewhat, but not to 100%, by clicking the magnifying glass above each picture. You can download individual full size images or the whole album if you have Google's Picasaweb software installed.

If you want to see some discussion on the results, including my own limited analysis, and some alternative links to download the full sized files then please look at this thread on DPReview....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1019&thread=29918648

Last edited:
According to most reviews the 50D is on same level as 40D despite of increase in resolution by 50%. But some reviewers do claim, that from ISO 1600-3200 and more the 40D does have a small edge.

Maybe we can have some experiences from people actually owning both.

Todays efforts---Still very overcast----Allmost no light----Slow Shutter speeds----I must try going above ISO 400.

Attachments

• Hare.JPG
    Hare.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Raptor 06 11 08.JPG
    Raptor 06 11 08.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 104
Todays efforts---Still very overcast----Allmost no light----Slow Shutter speeds----I must try going above ISO 400.
Looks pretty good Rob. I have been shooting my 40D and 400mm f5.6 non IS lens at 1/100 sec on ISO 800 today (without a tripod) - like you say very overcast.

Attachments

• Marsh tit1.jpg
    Marsh tit1.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 101
Looks pretty good Rob. I have been shooting my 40D and 400mm f5.6 non IS lens at 1/100 sec on ISO 800 today (without a tripod) - like you say very overcast.

Thanks Roy, to be honest I will go out in any weather, I just like to get out in the fresh air and click away, I can't remember a day where I didn't get a few shots that I thought were worth keeping, and the best part of bad weather is you don't get lots of people scaring the wildlife, and it hopefully will get me better at clicking the more shots I take, I like you try to use manual when poss.

Dpreview have a report re the 50D,and they say that the 40D fares better in the ISO range.The extra pixels do not make for better photos.

Dpreview have a report re the 50D,and they say that the 40D fares better in the ISO range.The extra pixels do not make for better photos.

Thats not quite correct IMO. They say that the improvement on the 50D was not so much better as expected. IMO the team behind dpreview have this time made a review differing too much from others reviews . Why that? I still wonder?

Last edited:

DPreview may well be right, they def. know more than me about cameras, and I must say that I loved my 40D and got some fantastic shots with it, I also liked my 20D and got good shots, I hated my old 10D, and I would still be quite happy with a 40D, but as I have now spent the money, I have to try and justify it LOL, seriously, you are right pixels do not = better photos, and to be quite honest I don't give a C**P about noise levels.....Cropping.....or all the other pixel peeping stuff, I just want to try and get the best picture I can with the gear I have, my friend uses a Nikon 5700 old camera and he is happy with his pics. and that's all that matters, if I could afford it I would like a 500mm Prime......BUT I can't, as Granny said make do and mend.

As a 40D owner I was very interested when I heard canon were bring out a 50D with a 15 megapixel chip all the reviews I have read and posts on this forum suggest that there is not a great difference to the performance or photo quality of the 40D, ISO noise seems to be similar to the 40D. This camera is a bit expensive compared to the 40D a big disapiontment I will wait until I have to replace my 40D before buying the 50D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back