• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 300 f2.8 on a 40D. (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
At this moment In time & for the next 12 months I am saving up for a Canon 300mm f2.8 IS lens to use with my 40D. Now I have asked about the 300 f2.8 before & now know Its a cracking bit of kit, what I want to now Is, Is the partnership with a 40D a good combination for birding/wildlife & can the setup be handheld quite easy with a 1.4x & 2x each on their own not stacked or would It be beneficial to use a Monopod & can you use any Monopod, I dont want a 500/600 prime, because that would mean a different type of photography with the use of tripods etc & I prefer to walkabout a lot.

Regards.
Sean..

The 300 is a fab lens to use with any camera body. It is fine to handhold, even with an extender, as long as you've got plenty of light, but a(ny) monopod would no doubt help. Frankly, in this country you will probably need to crop fairly heavily if using a 300mm as a walkabout lens, so any way of improving stability should be capitalised on as the slightest bit of camera shake will be very obvious on heavily cropped images.

Sean.
I've now had four "L" series lenses and the 300 f2.8 is by far the best IMHO. I use it often with a 40D and only in hides etc do I resort to the 600 which is rapidly becoming redundant
It is a fairly heavy chunk of gear and my first impression was that I'd made a mistake, however a camera seems to balance it and I can easily carry it for a few hours and never tire of it.
It takes a 1.4X convertor really well and I have no problems handholding. The 2X also is fantastic on this lens, but I have to have some form of support when I use mine with it attached.
I dont subscribe to the popular opinion that it's too short for birds. Sure you'll be found wanting on some occasions but more often you'll be smiling.
For walkabouts it must be the best that canon has to offer. Get one!!!!
Mike.

I find it quite easy to handhold and the results with a 1.4x converter are excellent. I'm hoping the weather will be nicer today so I can go out and try it with my new 2x on my new 50D. Since getting it I've not used the 100-400 at all.

With the long Canon strap attached to the lens I can carry it over one shoulder and it's easy to swing it around for shooting. If I have a long walk I'll carry it in a ThinkTank Glass Taxi.

I hope I might be able to post a few sample images later today.

At this moment In time & for the next 12 months I am saving up for a Canon 300mm f2.8 IS lens to use with my 40D. Now I have asked about the 300 f2.8 before & now know Its a cracking bit of kit, what I want to now Is, Is the partnership with a 40D a good combination for birding/wildlife & can the setup be handheld quite easy with a 1.4x & 2x each on their own not stacked or would It be beneficial to use a Monopod & can you use any Monopod, I dont want a 500/600 prime, because that would mean a different type of photography with the use of tripods etc & I prefer to walkabout a lot.

Regards.
Sean..

Hi Sean
I've had my 300 f2.8 for nearly a year, great lens too heavy for me to use as a walk about, I use the 300 f4 for those situations. The first time I used the f2.8 all day was at Cadwell, my shoulder ached for many weeks afterwards. Old age does not help when your carrying 3 kilo piece of kit so I mostly use that lens on location on the monopod. I have been retired 15 years suffer with muscle waste that does not help being an old git. Works fine with both converters, great piece of kit.
My mate GyRob hand holds his 500f4 he also uses the 300f2.8 hand held so I guess it depends, how good you are at weight lifting...

www.royhowell.co.uk.....few samples on my site..note the picture data.

regards

Roy.

Interesting thread as I have though long and hard about a 300 2.8 (with tc's) as a means of getting more reach than my 400mm f5.6. I have no doubt that it is superb with the 1.4 but to gain any real reach advantage I would have to use a 2x (or stacked 1.4's !). I am weary of relying on the 2x as the norm because of mixed opinions from other birders - in fact I have just read a comment from a guy over at POTN who says that he is always disappointed by the softness and lack of contrast when using a 2x with this lens. I would have no qualms about using support but need to be convinced that the 600 f5.6 option is the way to go. Mike seems happy enough with a 2x, I will be pleased to here your opinions Frank.

Sean, why don't you try a monopod, It can be carried quite easily and is very less obtrusive than a tripod (albeit not as effective).

I do have a Slik Monopod, which I would use when using the 2x TC or Beanbag. I have seen more good reviews regarding the 2x on a 300 f2.8 than bad & a couple of months ago I missed out on a 2nd hand 300 2.8 at a steal at £1.5k, but didnt have the funds then (God dammit), but will probably buy one brand spanking new from Warehouse express. So keep saving my pennies....

thats a great image Mike, I am definetley getting the 300mm & both TC's, but will still keep my 100-400. I think It will be a nice pairing..

Thanks for the pic Mike.

I use a 300 2.8 on a 20D. AF is extremely quick, marginally slower with a 1.4x TC, slightly slower still with a 2x TC, but still possible with stacked 1.4x+2x TC's. It is possible to hand hold the lens with a 2x TC for short periods but I find that results are better when using a monopod. Also the monopod takes the weight off your arms or shoulders. If you are standing waiting to get a particular shot a monopod is very useful for that reason. On occasions when I intend remaining in one position I prefer to use a tripod, particularly when using stacked TCs, and a remote shutter release which I attach to the pan handle.

There is some loss of contrast when using a 2x TC or above, but I generally find this can be rectified in Photoshop. There are several shots taken with this combination in my gallery.

I suggest anyone interested in what this lens can do have a look at this
http://www.pbase.com/ingotkfr/favorite_shots

I borrowed one over a couple of days and though I didn't think it was that heavy it did give me a bit of a back problem. I think it is something one has to gradually get used to and easily can overdo with.

Here is a shot I got with this lens and borrowed camera
http://www.pbase.com/peterericsson/image/106614083
Some very nice stuff there Peter, great looking birds.
I notice everything is stopped down one notch, I have read before that this helps a lot with the 2x attached to the 300 2.8.

in fact I have just read a comment from a guy over at POTN who says that he is always disappointed by the softness and lack of contrast when using a 2x with this lens.

Is that softness and lack of contrast in comparison to the bare lens? Because anything at all is going to be disappointing in comparison to that.

Mike seems happy enough with a 2x, I will be pleased to here your opinions Frank.

Damn weather decided it was going to be foggy all morning then rain in the afternoon, so no chance to give it a try.

That one is certainly very nice Mike. Do you use the 2x most of the time or just occasionally?
p.s. may I ask what pod and head you use with the 300 Mike.

Hi Roy.
I bought the 2X specifically for use with the 300 2.8 as every report I'd read on the combo was positive.
This was the one and only time it's been used so far and I used a beanbag, it is encouraging and bodes well for the future. Most of the time I have a 1.4 X attached, although I am currently experimenting to improve my atrocious record with BIF shots and just use the lens on it's own for this.
For support I use a Gitzo 3540LS and Wimberley11.
Mike.

The 2x tc does work quite well but not to bring a distance bird closer but to bring a close bird closer .
TCs often fail in the IQ states simpley because the bird is to far away in the first place and wont even cover the center circle in the VF -Thats fine for a record shot but not for getting fine detail.
Rob.

The canon 300 f2.8 is a top drawer lens and can produce top drawer images with either a 1.4 or 2x converter when used correctly. As with any lens you play it and its combinations to its advantages to achieve the best results. If the almighty declared I would not be able to use anything but a Canon 300 f2.8 plus converter options I certainly won't go to bed crying....in fact I'd probably have a good night! 8-P:king::king::king:

The canon 300 f2.8 is a top drawer lens and can produce top drawer images with either a 1.4 or 2x converter when used correctly. As with any lens you play it and its combinations to its advantages to achieve the best results. If the almighty declared I would not be able to use anything but a Canon 300 f2.8 plus converter options I certainly won't go to bed crying....in fact I'd probably have a good night! 8-P:king::king::king:

One of the funniest things I have read on here! :)

Monopod

I found the 40D and 300 2.8 too heavy to carry on a strap around my neck. This setup with a monopod is less fatiguing for me.

For a shoulder-pad I use an original Camelback water carrier. I replaced the water bladder with three layers of foam. The lower end of the Camelback is empty, and I wound the lower Camelback straps to secure the lower end of the Camelback to the monopod. The business end of the lens hangs downward over my back, I grasp the monopod in front for security. I don't know if Camelback still makes the "original" which is simple and required no modification for this purpose other than as I described and to cut off two nylon straps on top.

Attachments

• IMG_3545.JPG
    IMG_3545.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_3548.JPG
    IMG_3548.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 159
300 2.8 with 2x TC

Took this in the only semi-decent light we've had on a weekend for ages.

Shot at f5.6 1/90. It's handheld which may explain why the 100% crop isn't as good as I might have expected.

Attachments

• Rye Meads 20081207 039 800x600.jpg
    Rye Meads 20081207 039 800x600.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 272
  • Rye Meads 20081207 039 100crop.jpg
    Rye Meads 20081207 039 100crop.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 303
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back