• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flint Point, Shotton & Chester (1 Viewer)

Shotton Steelworks

11/07/16

No visit to site today.....but tomorrow morning, will see my 100th visit to the steelworks for 2016.......and I have to say, that I'm slightly disappointed with my performance during the first six months of the year, with only a very modest 141 species recorded on site, for the first half of 2016.

Shotton Steelworks

12/07/16

24 Canada Goose, 14 Mallard, 4 Moorhen, 4 Mute Swan, 7 Little Grebe, 24 Tufted Duck, 1 Great Crested Grebe, and 21 Coot, were on the water, with 3 Grey heron, 56 Lapwing, and 15 Common Sandpiper feeding around the margins.

The Black Headed Gull and Common Tern colonies remain stable, with very good number's of juvenile's now present, and there was also a surprise, in the form of 1 Arctic Tern ( 1st Summer ), noted on the 'rafts' also.

200+ Swallow, 20+ Swift, and 20+ Sand Martin hawked over.

1 Yellow Wagtail, 1 Whimbrel, and 300+ Starling passed through.

1 Cetti's Warbler was heard.

2016 Site List to date ~ 142 species ~ Latest ~ Arctic Tern

Patch List since 2010 ~ 197 species ~ Latest ~ Spotted Crake

Last edited:
Shotton Steelworks

17/07/16

2 Great Crested Grebe, 5 Mute Swan, 14 Little Grebe, 6 Moorhen, 21 Coot, 25 Tufted Duck, 2 Oystercatcher, 19 Mallard, and 10 Canada Goose, were on the water, with 2 Grey Heron, 17 Lapwing, 4 Common Sandpiper, and 1 Green Sandpiper ( first returning ), noted around the margins.

Common Tern and Black Headed Gull colonies, are both still very active.

20+ Blackbird, 500+ Starling, and 1 Whimbrel passed through.

Rough grassland/scrub/bare ground.......1 Stonechat, 2 Whitethroat, 3 Reed Bunting, 1 Grasshopper Warbler, 4 Kestrel, 14 Linnet, 5 Pied Wagtail, and 50+ Swallow.

7 Siskin, were noted in the woodlands.

Shotton Steelworks

18/07/16

12 Tufted Duck, 33 Mallard, 2 Great Crested Grebe, 5 Mute Swan, 16 Little Grebe, 6 Moorhen, and 22 Coot, were on the water, with 3 Lapwing, 5 Little Egret, 2 Grey Heron, 2 Oystercatcher, 6 Common Sandpiper, 2 Green Sandpiper, and 1 Wood Sandpiper, noted around the margins.

Common Tern and Black Headed Gull colonies, are both doing well.

5000+ Black Headed Gull, hawked over the rough grassland/scrub areas, presumably feeding on the masses of newly hatched, high flying ants, and also there were, 3 Stonechat, 2 Meadow Pipit, 2 Reed Bunting, 2 Skylark, 2 Kestrel, 2 Buzzard, 2 Sparrowhawk, 2 Raven, 8 Linnet, 30+ House Martin, 50+ Swallow, 16 Swift, 50+ Starling, 1 Grey Wagtail ( flyover ), 2 Sedge Warbler, 2 Common Whitethroat, 1 Lesser Whitethroat, and 3 Grasshopper Warbler.

7 Siskin, remained in the woodlands.

Last edited:
Shotton Steelworks

19/07/16

An ID question ?........

I recently found a bird, amongst the terns on the 'rafts', that I believed to be a ( 1st summer ) Arctic Tern.

Unknown to me at the time, was the fact that Arctic Tern in 1st summer plumage, is actually very rare locally, which led me to cast a slight element of doubt, as to whether I'm correct with my identification.

I considered 3 other options....Common Tern ( adult winter ), Roseate Tern ( adult winter ), and Arctic Tern ( adult winter ).

I dismissed Common Tern ( adult winter ), because the bird was slightly smaller than the surrounding Common's, had a more bouncy flight style, black legs, not red, narrower wings, a white forehead, which appeared to be grainy on the crown, as opposed to more uniformly black, as with Common, and most significantly, the bird had a clearly shorter black bill, than I would have expected on Common.

I dismissed Roseate Tern ( adult winter ), because of black legs, not red, a far shorter bill, differing forehead pattern, and I didn't feel that the bird presented as being white enough in appearance overall.

I dismissed Arctic Tern ( adult winter ), because I thought that it was probably to early for a moult to have taken place.

Any further thoughts please anyone?

Last edited:
Shotton Steelworks

20/07/16

I've noticed that this topic has been discussed previously on this Forum, on the Bird Identification Q&A section, and it's been very interesting to read the replies, and to be able to observe some of the photos.

I'm still not 100% sure,.......but after studying the notes that I made at the time, and considering the opinions, and photos of other's.......1st Summer Arctic Tern, is still looking like the most reliable ID, for the bird at Shotton.

Shotton Steelworks

Why not 1st summer Common Tern?

Hi Phil.........thanks for the reply.

I started to dismiss 1st summer Common Tern, quite early on, because I felt that the bird that I was looking at, was more round headed, slender winged, shorter billed (almost stubby), and generally seemed to have paler upperparts, than I would have expected from a 1st summer common, and this was quite apparent, when the bird was flying, because the wings were clearly more uniformly plain.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reliably judge the birds leg length, because it was perched on the perimeter wire fence, and was always jerking backwards and forwards when at rest.

The field guides mention, (dark carpal bar), 1st summer common, and a (fainter carpal bar), 1st summer Arctic, on birds at rest, but to be truthful, the bright sunlight at the time, hampered me a little, whilst I was trying to make a confident decision on this particular ID feature.

Last edited:
Shotton Steelworks

23/07/16

3 Cormorant, 8 Moorhen, 42 Coot, 5 Mute Swan, 2 Great Crested Grebe, 10 Little Grebe, 2 Oystercatcher, 14 Mallard, 4 Gadwall, and 22 Tufted Duck, were on the pools, with 9 Common Sandpiper, 4 Green Sandpiper, and 1 Grey Heron around the margins.

26 House Martin hawked over.

Common Tern and Black Headed Gull colonies, held 1 Common Tern, which had already begun moulting into winter plumage.

1 Tawny Owl, was seen going to roost.

Rough grassland/scrub/bare ground areas......5 Raven, 8 Whitethroat, 3 Kestrel, 2 Mistle Thrush, and 10 Linnet were noted.

Shotton Steelworks

24/07/16

05.00am this morning......

1 Shoveler (female), 1 Wigeon (female), 24 Tufted Duck, 21 Mallard, 4 Gadwall, 2 Oystercatcher, 6 Moorhen, 2 Mute Swan, 6 Little Grebe, and 16 Coot, were on the water, with 2 Grey Heron, 15 Lapwing, 7 Common Sandpiper, 3 Green Sandpiper, and 1 Avocet (juvenile), noted around the perimeter's.

1 Whimbrel, and 3 Sanderling, passed through.

Rough grassland/scrub/bare ground.....200+ Starling, 1 Lesser Whitethroat, and 1 Sparrowhawk.

2 Great Spotted Woodpecker, and 1 Tawny Owl, were in the woodlands.

1 Little Owl, was perched on a roadside lampost.

2016 Patch List to date ~ 143 species ~ Latest ~ Sanderling

Patch List since 2010 ~ 197 species ~ Latest ~ White Winged Tern ~ Spotted Crake

Shotton Steelworks

30/07/16

05.30am this morning......

35 Coot, 3 Mute Swan, 11 Moorhen, 20 Tufted Duck, 9 Little Grebe, 2 Great Crested Grebe (+ 1 juv), 18 Mallard, 2 Oystercatcher, 4 Teal, 22 Gadwall, and 2 Shoveler, were on the pools, with 1 Dunlin (summer plumage), 1 Greenshank, 2 Grey Heron, 4 Lapwing, 6 Black Tailed Godwit, 1 Grey Wagtail, 9 Common Sandpiper, 4 Green Sandpiper, and 2 Canada Goose around the margins.

Common Tern, and Black Headed Gull colonies, are continuing to thrive.

1 Cetti's Warbler, and 1 Spotted Crake were heard.

2 Little Owl, were perched along the riverbank footpath.

Rough grassland/scrub/bare ground.......2 Lesser Whitethroat, 2 Mistle Thrush, 500+ Starling, 2 Raven, 4 Stock Dove, 20+ Jackdaw, 2 Kestrel, 2 Buzzard, 100+ Linnet, and 1 Merlin, were noted.

Last edited:
Shotton Steelworks

31//07/16

36 Tufted Duck, 52 Coot, 1 Great Crested Grebe (+ 1 juv), 5 Mute Swan, 9 Moorhen, 12 Mallard, 27 Gadwall, 9 Little Grebe, and 5 Teal, were on the water, with 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Common Sandpiper, and 2 Grey Heron around the perimeter's.

12 Dunlin passed through.

Rough grassland/scrub/bare ground.......13 Raven, 1 Barnacle Goose, 3 Lesser Whitethroat, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Grasshopper Warbler, 2 Whitethroat, 1 Garden Warbler, 2 Buzzard, and 2 Kestrel.

Shotton Steelworks

04/08/16

2 Teal, 28 Tufted Duck, 3 Shoveler, 6 Little Grebe, 16 Gadwall, 27 Mallard, 2 Great Crested Grebe (+1 juv), 4 Mute Swan (+ 1 juv), 10 Moorhen, 32 Coot, and 2 Cormorant, were on the pools, with 2 Grey Heron, and 10 Lapwing around the margins.

Common Tern and Black Headed Gull colonies, are now winding down for this year's breeding season, although some Black Headed Gull's are still attempting to build new nests.

100+ Starling, and 3 Swift, passed through.

Shotton Steelworks

05/08/16

2 Cormorant, 9 Little Grebe, 4 Teal, 23 Gadwall, 16 Mallard, 2 Shoveler, 2 Canada Goose, 42 Tufted Duck, 5 Mute Swan ( 4ad +1 juv), 31 Coot, 15 Moorhen, and 3 Great Crested Grebe ( 2ad +1 Juv), were on the pools, with 2 Green Sandpiper, 1 Grey Heron, 2 Lapwing, 3 Greenshank, 11 Stock Dove, 2 Oystercatcher, and 1 Curlew Sandpiper ( summer plumage ), noted around the perimeter's.

Rough grassland/scrub/bare ground areas........1 Marsh Harrier, 2 Lesser Whitethroat, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 20+ Swallow, 2 Sand Martin, 2 Stonechat, 6 Skylark, 10 Linnet, and 1 Redstart (female).

1 Spoonbill, was noted flying high over the pools at 06.40am.

2016 Patch List to date ~ 145 species ~ Latest ~ Spoonbill, Curlew Sandpiper

Patch List since 2010 ~ 197 species ~ Latest ~ Bearded Tit, Dotterel, Yellow Browed Warbler, Temminck's Stint, Black Tern, Firecrest, Bee-eater, White Winged Black Tern, Spotted Crake

Last edited:
Shotton Steelworks

09/08/16

2 Cormorant, 2 Canada Goose, 4 Mallard, 5 Teal, 17 Gadwall, 10 Little Grebe, 24 Tufted Duck, 3 Mute Swan, 33 Coot, 6 Moorhen, and 3 Great Crested Grebe (2ad+1juv), were on the pools, with 5 Common Sandpiper, 5 Green Sandpiper, 2 Greenshank, 2 Grey Heron, and 3 Spotted Redshank around the perimeter's.

6 Dunlin, 2 Whimbrel, 1 Great White Egret, and 250+ Starling passed through.

1 Kingfisher flew along the gulley's.

Rough grassland/scrub/bare ground areas........2 Raven, 4 Kestrel, 1 Marsh Harrier, 25+ Swallow, 20+ Meadow Pipit, 2 Buzzard, 58 Lapwing, 20+ Stock Dove, and 3 Peregrine Falcon (2ad +1 juv) were noted.

Last edited:
Shotton Steelworks

10/08/16

20 Tufted Duck, 8 Teal, 4 Moorhen, 3 Mallard, 4 Little Grebe, 23 Coot, 27 Gadwall, 2 Mute Swan, 3 Great Crested Grebe (2ad +1 juv), and 1 Barnacle Goose, were on the pools, with 5 Ringed Plover, 1 Greenshank, 2 Grey Heron, 3 Spotted Redshank, 5 Dunlin (inc, 1 summer plumaged), 10 Black Tailed Godwit, 1 Common Sandpiper, and 3 Green Sandpiper, noted around the perimeter's.

5 Whimbrel, and 5 Mistle Thrush passed through.

Rough grassland/scrub/bare ground areas.......5 Stock Dove, 1 Buzzard, 14 Meadow Pipit, 2 Kestrel, and 1 Marsh Harrier were noted.

Shotton Steelworks

15/08/16

4 Mallard, 12 Gadwall, 14 Moorhen, 16 Coot, 14 Tufted Duck, 2 Mute Swan, 2 Little Grebe, and 3 Great Crested Grebe (2ad + 1 juv), were on the water, with 2 Greenshank, 5 Green Sandpiper, and 2 Spotted Redshank, noted around the perimeter's.

Rough grassland/scrub/bare ground areas......1 Marsh Harrier, 1 Peregrine Falcon, 3 Kestrel, 3 Buzzard, 17 Mistle Thrush, and 6 Stock Dove were noted.

Shotton Steelworks

21/08/16

First light this morning.......

27 Coot, 2 Great Crested Grebe (1ad + 1 juv), 2 Mute Swan, 84 Tufted Duck, 10 Moorhen, 9 Mallard, 6 Teal, 3 Little Grebe, 9 Gadwall, and 2 Shoveler, were on the water, with 1 Common Sandpiper, 1 Green Sandpiper, and 12 Lapwing, noted on the Rocky Pool.

1 Cetti's Warbler was heard, and 2 Kingfisher were perched in the poolside vegetation.

2 Whimbrel, and 1 Grey Wagtail passed through.

Rough grassland/scrub/bare ground areas.......2 Peregrine Falcon, 4 Kestrel, 1 Marsh Harrier, 30+ Swallow, and 200+ Starling were noted.

Shotton Steelworks

28/08/16

06.00am this morning......

91 Tufted Duck, 13 Coot, 7 Moorhen, 1 Mute Swan, 2 Great Crested Grebe, (1ad + 1juv), 6 Mallard, 3 Gadwall, 11 Teal, and 5 Little Grebe, were on the water, with 2 Green Sandpiper, 1 Common Sandpiper, and 5 Lapwing, noted around the margins.

Rough grassland/scrub/bare ground areas......a steady overhead passage of circa 300 Swallow early morning, which also included circa 50 Sand Martin, and also there..... 4 Raven, 2 Kestrel, 1 Grey Partridge, 1 Grasshopper Warbler (juv), 2 Bullfinch, 12 Stock Dove, 1 Wheatear, 1 Grey Wagtail, and 1 Marsh Harrier (female).

Last edited:
Shotton Steelworks

03/09/16

2 Mute Swan, 2 Great Crested Grebe (1ad+1juv), 31 Tufted Duck, 18 Coot, 5 Moorhen, 5 Mallard, 4 Gadwall, 7 Teal, 5 Little Grebe, and 4 Shoveler were on the water.

1 Green Sandpiper, 3 Grey Wagtail, 1 Spotted Redshank, and 2 Snipe passed through.

3 Kingfisher frequented the pools.

Rough grassland/scrub............ 2 Marsh Harrier, 2 Kestrel, 30+ Long Tailed Tit, 40+ Swallow, 25+ Linnet, 5 Meadow Pipit, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Garden Warbler, and 1 Stonechat were noted.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back