• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Empidonax in Quebec city (1 Viewer)

Widus

Hi there,
These three different Empidonax flycatchers* were photographed May 24 in Quebec city. What can be said about them? My feeling is that the first may be a different species than the last two.

*Well, at least photographed at different locations and moments

Attachments

• Empidonax sp 001 - 2018.05.23 Quebec City (Québec) Canada.jpg
    Empidonax sp 001 - 2018.05.23 Quebec City (Québec) Canada.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Empidonax sp 002 - 2018.05.24 Quebec City (Québec) Canada.jpg
    Empidonax sp 002 - 2018.05.24 Quebec City (Québec) Canada.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Empidonax sp 003 - 2018.05.24 Quebec City (Québec) Canada.jpg
    Empidonax sp 003 - 2018.05.24 Quebec City (Québec) Canada.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 38
Thanks. The color tones on the back (e.g. olive versus greyish) are therefore not to be considered when identifying these flycatchers.

The color should be considered, but only along with other ID marks as the lighting can affect that. In this case, I feel the primaries on the first bird are not long enough for Yellow-bellied, but I could be wrong. A photo showing the throat might help.

Lighting should always be considered. The first pic is in bright, open sunlight, while the other pix are of birds in diffuse lighting. This difference can certainly account for the different color tones of the birds. The lack of yellow on the underparts of the bird(s) should rule out Yellow-bellied, and the short primary projections apparent on all rule out anything else expected in Quebec.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back