• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Howard & Moore 4th supplements or updates? (1 Viewer)

Les Christidis says that in due course HM should be available online and free and that, once it is, it should be updated regularly. Great news!

That is good news. As my classmate Andy Tanenbaum famously said, "The nice thing about standards is you have so many to chose from."

www.aviansystematics.org is the address for the Trust’s website with a commitment to make the “list pages” of the 4th edition of the Howard & Moore Complete Checklist of Birds of the World available ... and the Trustees have set themselves the task of updating the checklist.

Here is a message from Edward Dickinson which could please some of you:

"I am delighted to announce that in the last few days the "list pages" of the fourth edition of Howard & Moore have been placed on-line with a search function. Footnotes are included, but neither the Introductory texts nor the appendices (whether printed or in the CDs) are shown; they are not likely to be placed on-line in the immediate future.

The Errata and Corrigenda have been incorporated.

These on-line pages can be found in the website of the Trust for Avian Systematics (www.aviansystematics.org.) Your feedback on what we have done will be welcome.

The website also includes some information on plans for an Update and three Trustees (Edward Dickinson [[email protected]], Clive Mann [[email protected]] and David Wells [[email protected]] are recruiting the larger team need to update the checklist and to maintain an on-line list; if you want to help or to learn more contact any one of us ... we do need help."

How does this list compare with the downloadable online version by Christidis posted at....

https://www.howardandmoore.org/

Or is this another "standard?"

The H&M4 online checklist at https://www.aviansystematics.org/4th-edition-checklist should be consistent with the version 4.1 workbook posted by Les Christidis. But it is formatted along the lines of the two published volumes and includes footnotes and additional information from the books such as the gender of generic names.

Last edited:
... includes footnotes and additional information from the books such as the gender of generic names.

It's always been my opinion that those two things are what separate the H&M checklists from the others. A tremendous amount of work will have gone into the footnotes and they illuminate nomenclature issues which don't appear in the other checklists. It would be a great thing if that kind of research (and publication) could be continued.

Having trouble getting to the family by family section of the new H&M4 checklist at aviansystematics.org. I just get an inscrutable error.

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home2/tassite/29MB6W23/htdocs/includes/modules/families.php on line 54

Having trouble getting to the family by family section of the new H&M4 checklist at aviansystematics.org. I just get an inscrutable error.

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home2/tassite/29MB6W23/htdocs/includes/modules/families.php on line 54

Thanks for flagging this Joe.

I've added a note here that this is not working and the website developers are investigating already but that probably means it won't be fixed till Monday 6 April at the easliest as it's the weekend here. As that note says, for now the whole H&M4 species checklist list is available in Excel via the Links page.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back