• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark Egret from Spain (1 Viewer)

Gonçalo Elias

avesdeportugal.info
Portugal
Hi all,

I would like to have opinions about the ID of this dark Egret. Seen today at Isla Cristina, Andalusia, Spain (pictures by Renato Bagarrão).

Could it be a Western Reef? A dark Little Egret? A mutation? A hybrid (between what)?

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks.
Gonçalo

Attachments

• egr-isla-cr-1a.JPG
    egr-isla-cr-1a.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 63
  • egr-isla-cr-2a.JPG
    egr-isla-cr-2a.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 191
  • egr-isla-cr-3a.JPG
    egr-isla-cr-3a.JPG
    328.5 KB · Views: 277
  • egr-isla-cr-4a.JPG
    egr-isla-cr-4a.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 161
  • egr-isla-cr-5a.JPG
    egr-isla-cr-5a.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 152
Having only seen one ;) Western Reef Egret (Carrapateira, Portugal, 2000 - see on Gonçalo's website!) Id say the bird in question seems to have a slightly long and thin bill for a WRE, as well as a small amount of white on the outer wing. The contrast between the grey and white on the head seems to be not so contrasty and the overall shade of grey looks a bit pale. Maybe juv. WRE can look more like this. Its more likely I thought that this bird is a hybrid sibling, given that quite along time ago WRE bred in Doñana IIRC.

Thanks everyone for the opinions.

Having only seen one ;) Western Reef Egret (Carrapateira, Portugal, 2000 - see on Gonçalo's website!) Id say the bird in question seems to have a slightly long and thin bill for a WRE, as well as a small amount of white on the outer wing. The contrast between the grey and white on the head seems to be not so contrasty and the overall shade of grey looks a bit pale. Maybe juv. WRE can look more like this. Its more likely I thought that this bird is a hybrid sibling, given that quite along time ago WRE bred in Doñana IIRC.

Hybrid is the possibility that is most oftion mentioned for this grey birds. The question is: hybrid between what species?

it might be such a hybrid. but is there any visible reason for not calling it a dark morph little egret?

Do dark morph Little Egrets exist at all?

Looks most like Little to me (or even Dimorphic).

I'm not sure I understand your comment. Dimorphic is just another name for what used to be considered the Indian Ocean subspecies of WRE. Which of the two are you suggesting: LE or WRE?

I'm not sure I understand your comment. Dimorphic is just another name for what used to be considered the Indian Ocean subspecies of WRE. Which of the two are you suggesting: LE or WRE?

Dimorphic Egret is currently treated as a full species using IOC taxonomy. I don't know how other authorities treat it. I was under the impression that they are structurally a bit more like Little, but I could well be wrong. The white patch on the leading edge of the wing reminded me of Dimorphic, as it's commonly found in dark morph Dimorphic. That's why I mentioned it, although I'm aware it would presumably be a very unlikely vagrant.

Dimorphic Egret is currently treated as a full species using IOC taxonomy. I don't know how other authorities treat it. I was under the impression that they are structurally a bit more like Little, but I could well be wrong. The white patch on the leading edge of the wing reminded me of Dimorphic, as it's commonly found in dark morph Dimorphic. That's why I mentioned it, although I'm aware it would presumably be a very unlikely vagrant.

Form Larry form, they don't change colour!!!! :t:

Form Larry form, they don't change colour!!!! :t:

Is this actually a distinction? I've never heard of colour morphs changing colour - in fact I thought it was a requirement that they retained the same plumage, otherwise it would be seasonal/age-related plumage variation.

Is this actually a distinction? I've never heard of colour morphs changing colour - in fact I thought it was a requirement that they retained the same plumage, otherwise it would be seasonal/age-related plumage variation.

It's not a thing that changes John as far as I'm aware, hence my dislike for the term.

The word 'phase' implies a transitory or alternating state which this is not.

1. dark little egret exists, i've seen one last year
2. what's wrong with the term 'morph'? it exactly means 'form' in greek language, it's identic - so why should 'morph' suggest that it changes colour (like in it is the case in 'phase').

Last edited:
I think you'll find this is one of Andy's bugbears if you look for the topic on previous thread going back over the years ... ;)

I get his point, but language is set by how it is used, not by rules imposed, in general I think.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back