• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mixed King and Common Eider nesting (1 Viewer)

pva

Georgia
Hello,

I've found two old articles (1958 and 1973) about the Eider farm Gisli Vagnsson in the north-western Iceland with one of the biggest Eider colony. In this colony there were several mixed nests - the males King Eider were mating with the females Common Eider. I couldn't find any further information about this farm, so I don't know whether it still exists, and if so, under what name.

Do you have any information about the mixed King and Common Eider nesting in Iceland today? If so - where does this happen? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Common Eider X King Eider hybrids are not infrequent in Iceland (close to 50 records, see here https://notendur.hi.is/yannk/status_sommxs.html) and King Eider is present in Iceland in small numbers throughout the year, invariaby with Common Eider and in summer often in Common Eider colonies. Here's a nice close up of one from eBird https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S27374052
The farm is probably at Mýrar in Dýrafjörður. The farm still exists but the farmer you mentioned is long dead I think. Common Eider is very common in that area and King Eider is surely regular but there aren't many observers. Check eBird although the list of observations is not complete

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back