• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barbary / Peregrine Falcons (1 Viewer)

Acrocephalus

Morocco
Rodríguez B., Siverio F., Siverio M. & Rodríguez A. 2011. Variable plumage coloration of breeding Barbary Falcons Falco (peregrinus) pelegrinoides in the Canary Islands: do other Peregrine Falcon subspecies also occur in the archipelago? Bull. B.O.C. 131 (3): 140-153.

See also this paper by the same authors:

Siverio M., Siverio F., Rodríguez B., Rodríguez A. 2011. Long-term monitoring of an insular population of Barbary Falcon Falco peregrinus pelegrinoides. Ostrich 82 (3): 225-230.
abstract

Last edited:
The Go-South website collates some very useful ID information, images etc...
  • www.go-south.org > Birds > Additional information: Falco peregrinus / Falco pelegrinoides - Barbary / Peregrine Falcon - Faucon de Barbarie / Pélerin

Peregrine sspp

White, Sonsthagen, Sage, Anderson & Talbot (in press). Genetic relationships among some subspecies of the Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus L.), inferred from mitochondrial DNA control region sequences. Auk. [abstract]

White 1994 (HBW 2).

PS. "...two areas where subspecies distributions overlap."
Is this suggesting sympatric breeding of subspecies, or just non-breeding ranges?

Last edited:
White, Sonsthagen, Sage, Anderson & Talbot (in press). Genetic relationships among some subspecies of the Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus L.), inferred from mitochondrial DNA control region sequences. Auk. [abstract]

White 1994 (HBW 2).

PS. "...two areas where subspecies distributions overlap."
Is this suggesting sympatric breeding of subspecies, or just non-breeding ranges?

I skimmed a little of this paper this morning: Taita Falcon falls within peregrines in a single locus phylogeny (mitochondrial control region).

Niels

PS to answer Richards PS, samples were collected from breeding birds in overlap areas between subspecies and if the individual could not be assigned to subspecies on morphology was assigned to F.p.? (if I have understood correctly.

Barbary Falcon

Incidentally, although Barbary Falcon Falco pelegrinoides was recognised as a distinct species in H&M3, it's lumped with F peregrinus in H&M4 (Dickinson & Remsen 2013):
For treatment within F. peregrinus, contra Dickinson (2003) see Stresemann & Amadon (1979) and Naoroji (2006). Wink (2000) found support for treating pelegrinoides as a separate species; however, later studies, e.g. Wink et al. (2010) have contradicted this.

Last edited:
Morocco

Dick Forsman, www.dickforsman.com:
I have just returned from a private tour to Morocco. My targets in Morocco were the large falcons (Lanner, Peregrine and Barbary) and the Atlas Long-legged Buzzard. The birding was focused to the west coast and Atlantic Sahara, but the weather caused some problems. In the desert south of Guelmim it was raining heavily for several days while we were there, and the entire desert was flooding! Still, the trip was a great success, and I manged some incredible encounters with my target birds, one of which is shown above. The Peregrines and Barbarys of this area have been of great interest to me since my first visit in 1991. This time I finally managed to get some material, which may throw some light on the problem. Traditionally several sources claim, that Peregrines and Barbarys occur here side by side (sympatric) without interbreeding, thus proving that they are different species. I have always had a slightly different opinion myself, and now I managed to get some supporting evidence for my ideas. Unfortunately, I cannot elaborate on it any further, as it has to be published first on other forums. Anyway, pictured above is one of my study birds, but which one is it? Is it a Barbary or is it a Peregrine, or is it neither, or perhaps both? Interestingly, it was found at exactly the same site where I had a pair almost on the date 22 years ago, the pair that originally spurred my interest for these Moroccan falcons.

Incidentally, although Barbary Falcon Falco pelegrinoides was recognised as a distinct species in H&M3, it's lumped with F peregrinus in H&M4 (Dickinson & Remsen 2013):

Presumably that's Wink, M, A-A El-Sayed and J Gonzalez. 2010. Fortschritte in Erforschung der Phylogenie der Greifvögel und der Fakten. 50 Jahre Orden Deutscher Falkoniere, 22-28?

This may also be relevant: Wink, M. 2011. Falkenmischlinge- Fakten, Fragen und mögliche Konsequenzen. Der Falke 58, Sonderheft, 36-41.
MJB

There is also a long discussion about the species question of Barbary Falcon in White, Cade & Enderson 2013: Peregrine Falcons of the World - both in the introduction and the (sub)species account. My favorite quotation:
"Data, some good and some questionable, support nearly any view one wants to take on the status of these falcons".
Still it seems to me that the authors prefer to lump.

eBird/Clements

Incidentally, eBird/Clements seems to be alone at the moment in treating F pelegrinoides as a monotypic species, assigning babylonicus to the nominate ssp group within F peregrinus.

Socotra

Porter & Suleiman 2014. The populations and distribution of the breeding birds of the Socatra archipelago, Yemen: 2. Shearwaters to Terns. Sandgrouse 36(1): 8–33.
Peregrine Falcon Falco peregrinus ... it would not be unreasonable to assume the Socotran population was c30 pairs, ...
The taxonomic position of this isolated island population is unclear. Prior to 1999 both Peregrine Falcon and Barbary Falcon F. pelegrinoides had been recorded (see eg Kirwan et al 1996) but in the subsequent years only birds resembling F. peregrinus were observed. Jennings (2010) considered these to be of the race minor though he also speculated that the Socotran population might turn out to be a new taxon. We have always considered that the birds most resembled minor though more relevant views and photographs are required for a more robust opinion. However examination of a recent photograph of an adult male suggests traits of pelegrinoides (Dick Forsman pers comm). The taxonomic position of these falcons is now the subject of a critical examination of all the photographic and other material from the island (Porter & Forsman in prep).
Porter, RF & D Forsman. In prep. Comments on the taxonomic position of the Peregrine Falcons on Socotra.

Last edited:
White et al 2013

There is also a long discussion about the species question of Barbary Falcon in White, Cade & Enderson 2013: Peregrine Falcons of the World - both in the introduction and the (sub)species account. My favorite quotation:
"Data, some good and some questionable, support nearly any view one wants to take on the status of these falcons".
Still it seems to me that the authors prefer to lump.
The Lynx Edicions preview gives a partial view of the subspecific treatment.

The authors evidently give common names to the recognised subspecies, including...
  • calidus – Siberian Tundra Peregrine
  • brookei – Mediterranean Peregrine
  • tundrius – North American Tundra Peregrine
  • babylonicus – Red-naped Shaheen
I'd be very grateful if someone with access to the book could give a complete list...

European Peregrine peregrinus
Siberian Tundra Peregrine calidus
Japanese Peregrine japonensis
East Siberian Peregrine harterti
Mediterranean Peregrine brookei
Black Shaheen peregrinator
North American Tundra Peregrine tundrius
American Peregrine anatum
Peale's Peregrine pealei
African Peregrine minor
Australian Peregrine macropus
South American Peregrine cassini
Cape Verde Peregrine madens
Madagascan Peregrine radama
Iwo Peregrine furuitii
Ernest's Peregrine ernesti
Island (Melanesian) Peregrine nesiotes
Barbary Falcon pelegrinoides
Red-naped Shaheen babylonicus

"atlantis" peregrine (Morocco)

Further to the news posted last year by Richard from the website of Dick Forsman (post No 6), these 2 lines were posted recently on his website (the underlining is mine):

Gulls, gulls, gulls! On a recent trip to Morocco to study Atlas Long-legged Buzzards and the disputed "atlantis" -form of Peregrine, I paid a short visit also to Agadir fishing port. Busy and bustling with life and action it would be the highlight of a trip for anyone with an interest in gulls (Agadir, Morocco, Jan 10th, 2015)
Should we expect something to be published about these falcons in the near future?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back