• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 - World Yearlist Record Attempt (1 Viewer)

Looking forward to today's update and indeed the Israel days. It should make the balance of WP planning for him a lot easier.

As his (changed) flight from Ghana has a stop-over in Madrid, he decided to get out there and not to fly back to Holland. So he actually has 5 days in Spain now. Yes, that's a lot given his goal. But it'll give him a few extra birds (better than a promo day) and a slight rest after the 1st part of the year. The lovely Mrs (a birder herself) will join him.

He'll never have another chance to set a total that won't be beaten. With the current worldwide political turbulence, this could be the last crack when an itinerary of this type is possible. I'm sure if Mrs Arjan is going to be around for the next five decades she'll be whispering in his ear about slipping a two day northern or eastern European trip in the middle of those Madrid days!

All the best

From my limited Dutch (i.e. non-existent), I would guess that
https://www.dutchavifauna.nl/list is the Dutch systematic list.
After a while I realised that Lees Meer is not a prolific author but the Dutch for 'read more'... I'm doing my best to be a good Euro-citizen ;-)
I like the links to Arjan's travels on the home page... it makes life a lot simpler.
Ken

So he will not make a presentation in the Netherlands? It would be cool, I wondered if it is possible to make birder a media celebrity.

PS. About "whether such big years will be possible in future". From I see in the last few decades, advances of international transport and better information would make Arjan's record easier to break. If something makes it difficult, it will be most likely increasing poverty among young people in the West.

Looking forward to today's update and indeed the Israel days. It should make the balance of WP planning for him a lot easier.

He'll never have another chance to set a total that won't be beaten. With the current worldwide political turbulence, this could be the last crack when an itinerary of this type is possible. I'm sure if Mrs Arjan is going to be around for the next five decades she'll be whispering in his ear about slipping a two day northern or eastern European trip in the middle of those Madrid days!

All the best[/QUOTE

Keep on splitting species and 10.000 species are possible in the future
��������

PS. About "whether such big years will be possible in future". From I see in the last few decades, advances of international transport and better information would make Arjan's record easier to break.

Keep on splitting species and 10.000 species are possible in the future
��������

In which case, I hope he enjoys the mid-year break and takes another holiday when he gets to 6,043. 3:)

Whose next? :cat:

All the best

He'll never have another chance to set a total that won't be beaten. With the current worldwide political turbulence, this could be the last crack when an itinerary of this type is possible.

Highly doubt this is the case. More areas accessible and/or safe today than in the last decades of the 20 Century. Always a flux of global political events or conflicts leading to areas opening or closing for assorted reasons ...don't see any current events to suggest anything different to come.

Highly doubt this is the case. More areas accessible and/or safe today than in the last decades of the 20 Century. Always a flux of global political events or conflicts leading to areas opening or closing for assorted reasons ...don't see any current events to suggest anything different to come.

Jos

I hope you are right. I haven't seen most of it yet and won't get a proper chance to start for another few years!

In general terms, I have always subscribed to the theory that the 'inaccessible' proportion of the world has remained stable over decades whilst the areas have been moving constantly.

Edit - hold on! I've read enough of your trip reports to think you could get into a scrape going shopping at Tescos in Clevedon (where as far as I am aware there is no adverse Foreign Office Guidance)! 3:)

All the best

Last edited:
Thanks Ken, but that's just the Dutch (not WP) list. The old website had both.
I assume it will pop up again once the "WP Birding" section is up and running.
Some other things disappeared too (a few photos for example) and there are a other issues (such as the log-in function).
The site looks pretty difficult for non-native speakers at the moment!

I assume it will pop up again once the "WP Birding" section is up and running.
Some other things disappeared too (a few photos for example) and there are a other issues (such as the log-in function).
The site looks pretty difficult for non-native speakers at the moment!
OK, thanks Jan. Probably just needs a bit of time to reinstate all the previous features...

So he will not make a presentation in the Netherlands? It would be cool, I wondered if it is possible to make birder a media celebrity.

PS. About "whether such big years will be possible in future". From I see in the last few decades, advances of international transport and better information would make Arjan's record easier to break. If something makes it difficult, it will be most likely increasing poverty among young people in the West.
He already was our TV and newspaper birder the last couple of years. But during his Biggest Year, his Mrs took over!

And Arjan saw some good - and almost last-chance-to-see - birds today: Redwing, Northern Grey Shrike, Woodlark, Eurasian Treecreeper, Bearded Reedling...
And I even forgot Jack Snipe, Rook and Red-necked Grebe that he won't have a chance during the rest of his WP leg further south!

So using some of the days planned for Spain in beginning of July for a trip to northern or eastern Europe (as Paul suggested) could be a good idea...

Arjan is yet to see the following number of species that Noah added from the following WP countries:-
Iceland - 10 species
Norway - 28 species
Turkey - 70 species
Spain - 36 species
France - 1 species
Total - 145 species

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back