• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attention seeking dipper - any advice? (1 Viewer)

Kainokane

Hi All, about a week ago a dipper appeared on our window ledge and has barely left since. He spends a couple of hours each day going through some kind of ritual, fluffing his feathers, cheeping and flapping against the window pane as if attempting to come in. It would be rather endearing if it wasn't for the fact he poos all over our windows! And I'm wondering how best to help him. Any advice? I should add we do leave bird food out on the bird table in a separate part of the garden...he doesn't seem particularly interested. Thanks in advance.

Are you sure it's a Dipper? They rarely leave waterways. In fact I've only ever seen one that wasn't on a stream or river.
I've seen people who've had other birds at their windows and it can be because they are seeing their reflection and therefore seeing competition. I'm not sure though, haven't read much about it.

Hi Kainokane and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Can you get a picture of him? As Gus says, it's most unlikely to be a Dipper as their habitat is almost exclusively rocky streams and rivers.

Even a poor picture will give a clue as to the species.

Some bird, more than others, seem to see their reflection in the glass and attack it thinking it is a rival.

Hello - thanks for the replies. It is 100% a dipper - identical to your photo Delia Todd. I will try to get a photo. We live opposite a fast-flowing stream. I'm not sure it's aggressive behaviour so much as potential courtship, but then I don't know very much ;)

Amazing behaviour for the species! I'd suggest you stick a falcon silhouette on the window sharpish, before it damages itself against the glass.

Wow!! Kainokane

That really is most unusual behaviour, at least I've never heard of them doing this before.

Is there any chance you could upload these images to the Gallery as well, with a description of his behaviour? I'm very much afraid that these images will get lost in the depths of Birdforum threads eventually. They'll be much easier to find in the Gallery.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back