• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reptile IDs - Thailand (1 Viewer)

BKKBen

Hi all,

I really have very little idea about reptiles, and would like some help on a few IDs from a few seen in Thailand.

The first pic is a monitor from Kaeng Krachan NP. It doesn't look much like the Water Monitors I see in and around BKK, so was wondering whether it was a Clouded Monitor (or something else - sorry about the pic quality)?

The turtle is also from Kaeng Krachan NP, where I rescued it from the middle of the road, and I have no idea.

Lastly, the snake is from Loei province in the (north) north-east. Is it some kind of rat snake?

Thanks in advance.

ps: What is the best field guide for reptiles in Thailand currently available?

Attachments

• dscf1323 (1).jpg
    dscf1323 (1).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 36
  • dscf1331.jpg
    dscf1331.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 22
  • dscf4955.jpg
    dscf4955.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 31
The snake is a Copperhead Racer Coelognathus radiatus, lovely.

You won't ID a Clouded Monitor from a shot like this, you need to see the shape and position of the nostril.

Last edited:
The snake is a Copperhead Racer Coelognathus radiatus, lovely.

You won't ID a Clouded Monitor from a shot like this, you need to see the shape and position of the nostril.

Cheers, Andy.

Yeah, the monitor pic isn't the best I'm afraid. It emerged from the forest, sat on the road for a bit then returned to the forest once a car approached.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back