• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today at the feeder (1 Viewer)

On my wish list for this winter is the red-headed woodpecker. They had a pair in Central Park, NYC, so I know it's possible.

I am not sure this "report" really belongs here, but I am too excited to hunt around for the appropriate place! I hope you will all forgive me! ;o)

A couple weeks ago, I think it was Sara (on the Ohio River) who talked about a Carolina wren who sang like crazy just before hopping into a birdhouse attached to the side of Sara's house to sleep for the night.

Since I had a pair of Carolina's who have nested two years in a row in a hanging fuschia basket by the front door, I decided to fix it up with a roosting pouch with additional cotton batting and llama hair.....it looked very cozy to me!

Tonight, about 5 p.m., I happened to see one of the two Carolinas hop her way up close to the basket, and zip into the shelter I had smushed together for her!

I am just as pleased as I can be! What a little Christmas present! It is really chilly here tonight....about 20 with breezes, and it's so nice to know that at least one little creature is snug.

almost 80 degrees out here.....I have more squirrels lately than birds it seems. Scrub jays, allens hummers, both lesser and american goldfinches, yellow rumped warbler at the suet feeders, house finches only a handful, I think the cooper hawk has been picking them and the house sparrows off...

Christmas birdy gift #2 for me today!

About 5 p.m. again (!) BOTH Carolina wrens hopped around and twittered and chirped their way into the hanging basket to roost for the night!

They are about the cutest things....a little gang of cardinals watched the proceedings from a nearby crabapple tree....I was afraid they would get pushy, but not this time.

Wondering if Sara's wren is still spending the nights in her birdhouse?

Hi jeffdebra,

Tammie, in Canada, with her Pine and Evening Grosbeack, Siskins and Snow Buntings....

You with your Lesser Goldfinch, Scrub Jays, Allen's Hummingbirds.....

Makes my Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers and House Finches seem rather mundane.

Hi Marianna - I'm a bit slow to get upstairs these days due to knee surgery. SO GLAD that you had success with your wrens! I do think they are the new time pieces with their puctuality! It is very important to provide them with shelter as they don't do well when the temps drop too low!! Yes, mine are also bedding down together every night right next to my bedroom - I think about them all cozy in their house when I fall asleep in mine!!

Way, Way out west here in Utah I had many dark-eyed juncos, some mountain chickadees. One morning dove and some American Goldfinches, and one Downy woodpecker. The morning dove must be wintering in Utah this year.

Hope you are recovering well, Sara! It is good to hear from you and also to know that your wrens are snug too. This has sure brightened these gloomy long winter days.....although the feeders are quite busy all day long now....and the squirrels have apparently forgotten where they hid any nuts, so are back in the birdfeeders!

The little pine siskins are still about, so I think they intend to hang around for awhile at least. No red-breasted nuthatches....yet....I was hoping this would be their year to show up in Indiana again.

I love to hear about the pine and evening grosbeaks....and the redpolls....WOW! Those birds would thrill me.....as I suppose the 20 plus cardinals that gather at dusk here would thrill you folks! Good thing we all don't have 'em all, huh?

I love the "snug wren" stories. I can only hope. I have 3 birdhouses in my yard and they have never been successfully used, by anything. Oh, forgive me, in the last snowstorm I did see some chickadees taking shelter in one. Good for you Sara and Marriane!

I heard irregular rapping in the yard today. A yellow-bellied sapsucker was actually a few feet from the house. It was a great way to start my day.

Hey, Jeff, don't rub it in about the 80 degrees-my driveway is a sheet of ice. Arizona looks better every day. I have yet to see a roadrunner.

Interesting birding in the yard lately.......Sunday a large flock of robins stopped by to forage in the wetlands of my woods, and with them came waxwings....always welcome here, of course. Later I saw a pileated in the yard. To my amazement, I also discovered that a yellow-bellied sapsucker is making neat rows in a pine tree, 30 ft. from my bedroom window. I can watch(and I have been) every morning and late afternoon! I need a more powerful lens-immediately. :D

I've had a white-throated sparrow hanging out with the house sparrows the last couple of days, a rare finding out here. I also woke up to a red-shafted flicker saturday morning. It was in the backyard tree, but I never saw it at the feeders. A couple of new backyard birds

At the feeder today
Bluetit
Great tit
Greenfinch
Chaffinch
Wren
Robin
Blackbird
Starling
Jackdaw
House Sparrow
in the Garden Herring Gull and Black Headed Gull
and a flyby Sparrowhawk and Greylag Goose
your birds seem so much more exotic than mine but then I am about 5000 miles east of you all!

Got this Long-tailed Tit on his approach to one of the feeders this afternoon. Sorry about the grain, but the low light where I live (under the edge of a plantation) makes for difficult photography. I thought our American friends would like it - we get a flock of around 10 birds every afternoon.
Chris

Attachments

• LTT231203.jpg
    LTT231203.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 272
What a cute little bird. Thanks for sharing that with us, Chris.

CJW said:
Got this Long-tailed Tit on his approach to one of the feeders this afternoon. Sorry about the grain, but the low light where I live (under the edge of a plantation) makes for difficult photography. I thought our American friends would like it - we get a flock of around 10 birds every afternoon.
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back