• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

If you wished for a bird in your Garden, what would it be? (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hello there

As a life long keen bird lover. I would love to see a Bullfinch in my garden. That is my OH's biggest wish, and I feel the same way.

Yes, a male and female Bullfinch would go down very well with us. A Serin would be nice too, as they look like Siskens. We want to se the differences for ourselves.

We have seen most of the mainstream birds, and we would just like that taste of the more unusal birds

I'd go for a bird that I saw in my garden a couple of years ago.

I was videoing some Collard Doves that were feding close to my back door. They were nervous so I was filming through the net curtain. Anyway, one of them looked different, so I zoomed in a bit and saw that one of the Collard Doves wasn't a Collard Dove at all, it was a Turtle Dove.

I found it fascinating to think of how far it had travelled to end up in my back garden; I'd love to see another, but I doubt it will happen again.

Maybe if I get time I'll clean up the video and capture a frame so you can see it really was a Turtle Dove.

1. Azure Tit - feasible but remote chance.
2. Nutcracker (on my feeders) - frequent occurs, been within two metres of feeders, never yet actually on them.
3. Green Woodpecker - to finish off the woodpecker clan.

Last edited:
A nuthatch or a greater spotted woodpecker.
I had a gsw about 2 years ago and haven't seen one since, unfortunately this was in my pre-birding days, but I recognised it straight away even as a non birding type.

Peewit, when I got the bullfinches they knocked my socks off.
They were in my tree on and off for a couple of months and they are brilliant to watch, "sliding" up and down the branches.

I do hope you get them in your garden soon. :t:

Ian

would love to have the spotted Flycatchers back that used to nest on the end of my shed, didn't come back about 5 yrs ago and not seen since, don't know why but I have a bit of a soft spot for them.

Barn Owl would be nice, been close but not in.. yet :t:

Last edited:
would love to have the spotted Flycatchers. ... don't know why but I have a bit of a soft spot for them.

Hi Kathy,

Like Richard, I would love to have Spotted Flycatchers, we used to have them right at the bottom of the garden and watched them every year and it was magical. .....What happened? The blessed house had concrete cancer, had to be pulled down and we had to move!!!! :C They have such adorable eyes and I love their stance.

Still, we do have a pair of Bullfinches that visit most of the year round, good luck in getting yours!

Sue

I recently bemoaned the fact that I had not seen Siskins in our garden since moving in 18 years ago; the next day they arrived!

So what should I wish for next? 20 years ago, then living in Lincolnshire, if someone had said we would get Sparrowhawk sitting on the garden fence I would have laughed; but we do.

Having followed the recent I.D. threads about Redpolls they would be a nice addition to the list. Sadly, we have only two sightings of Song Thrush in the garden and I would certainly like to have them as a regular (we have loads of snails).

It used to be Tree Sparrow, but that one came true last year. So now I would be more adventurous and say Hawfinch (possible - they are present in very small numbers within 5 miles of my house) or Nuthatch (not so likely, but maybe one day!)

Have had long tailed tits in our garden at work for the first time this year. Also have had a pair of jays who i wish would stay long enough to for me to take their pic. Had greater spotted woodpecker last summer would like them back

Being from New Zealand we have many wonderful birds the Fantail and Tui being my favorites but now I live in Canada and one little bird that I never experienced back home in NZL but have realy taken a liking to here in Canada is the hummingbird.
There just seems to be something really magical about those little guys.
Love the hummingbirds.

A hummingbird. I put the window feeder up about 6 weeks ago.. I change the nectar every 3 days.. and I wait.. and wait. |=o|

Maybe in this lifetime.. right now, all I have are the squirrels coming around.

something to top female black redstart which i had from 30th december 2008 till 19th february 2009 :)

so ermm serin or lesser spot woodpecker would do :)

Hawfinch, would be nice, although green woodpecker would be nice, they fly over all the time,.I would also love a serin to turn up, always failed to see one.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back