• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x43 ED3's - Have you pulled the trigger ? (1 Viewer)

it does make sense that the lower mag bin would have the "easier" view. any other thoughts on the comparison between 8x43 and 7x43? any difference in center field sharpness, depth of field, etc? although if the 7x43 has even more eye relief that may be a non starter for me as the 8x43 is right at my limit.

Center field sharpness didn't seem any different to me. But this is very subjective unless you use charts etc. which I didn't do. The depth of field is greater with the 7s but this is to be expected. Again the extreme eye relief of the 7s is a factor. With the 8s I just extend the eye cups all the way and bring the binoculars to my eyes and I'm ready to view. With the 7s I may have to readjust their position a bit. The "sweet spot" with the 7s is greater. To my eyes almost corner to corner. Keep in mind that there could be differences from pair to pair and I may just have lucked out with my particular pair.

Last edited:
This is the first post I have seen from anyone that has received a production unit of the 7x43. I didn't even know if they shipped on schedule....Charles never got back to me.

Any issues with them? Any play in the focusing mechanism? Are the dreaded crescents found in the first generation of the 7x36 ED2 noted under any conditions? Anything else to find fault with besides the long eye relief?

Am I the only one who received the 7x43 ED3? It's been almost 3 weeks since I received my pair and I'm surprised that no one else has commented on theirs. I'd especially like to know if the excellent sweet spot on mine is typical, or if I just lucked out. Any comments?

Truth be told I was thinking much the same thing this morning. I haven't seen another post from any forum members that purchased this bin.

I sent an email to Charles about the 7x43 production units this morning but, with it being the weekend, don't expect to hear anything until tomorrow at the earliest. Even he has to take a break from work from time to time. ;)

I should have one of the production units in my hand by Wednesday. I will post something in comparison to the 7x36 ED2, 7x43 prototype and some of the other various 7x bins that I currently have on hand.

Solution to the eye relief problem (for some users)

I solved the problem of the excessive (for me) eye relief of the Zen Ray 7x43 ED3 binoculars as follows:
First I attached a pair of winged eye shields, standard size, which I bought from Field Optics Research, http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/ I placed them over the Zen Ray eye pieces so he top of the folded down eye shields are level with the top of the binoculars' eye pieces.
When you do this the Zen Ray rain guard no longer fits. I solved this issue with a pair of eagle optics objective lens caps medium size http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocula...tics-tethered-binocular-lens-cover-set-medium
They fit nicely over the eye pieces and the folded down winged eye shields. (I clipped off the tethered rings as they are not needed.)
With this setup I no longer have to hold the binoculars away from my face.
This may or my not work for you depending on the shape of your face and vision, but at about $25.00 it's probably worth a try.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back