• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x36 ED2 vs 7x43 ED3 (1 Viewer)

I think you may need to work on that link. It translated for me correctly but it looks like somebody's blog or something, I don't see anything related to binoculars.

Actually I was able to find the specific entry, here is the direct link: http://iskatel.livejournal.com/1052358.html

Here's the copy/paste of the Google translated text:

BINOCULARS. COMPARE ZEN-RAY 7X36ED2 & 7X43 ED3.

Mar. 7th, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Compared Zen 7x36ed2 & 7x43 ed3. x43 noticeably heavier, although technically the difference is not very large (as with 8h43 ed3). In his hand are both well. comparison was carried out on a clear day when the sun is gone, so that on the one hand, there was not a lot of light, but, on the other hand, there was enough light to see all the details and evaluate the chromatic aberration (at very low the light is not visible, but with a strong barely noticeable).

Sharpness and contrast a little bit better at x43.
x43 have a level field and a few sharper edges, and the decline of field begins (in%) later. Simply put, a clear area of the field, in% more, but about the "clarity from edge to edge" to say no.
At the same time, even given the fact that the field of view of x43 is clearly smaller than the x36, for binoculars with a field edge sharpness is very good.
Same goes for x36 - more blurred edges and blurred starts (in% of the field) before, but the field more.
Yes, here at Nikon EDG ... but we are not about Nikon. and zeiss 7h42, according to reviews, is roughly the same region. Grace. Day, bright day, looking at the ships in the roads, the distance to the house, my glance at the trees on the slopes, and a small difference is visible, even if you do not go into the semi-darkness under the high treetops. The difference is very small during the day, but there is. At night, there will be more. Both Xena - one of the brightest roof models in its price range. chromatic. Great subject - the white foam of the surf in dark gray, with dark green, almost black moles. A bit of light, there is nothing to mask the chromatic fringing, but it is more than enough to see any detail. Small chromatic distortion visible in most parts of the field as in x43 and x36 with. It seemed to me, in their x36 bit less than the x43. What is important, even on the edge of the field chromaticism did not reach that critical level when the picture is just too unpleasant to consider. Both binoculars chromaticism is at an acceptably low-level. For less critical images (eg, more sun) chrome practically invisible. Branches of trees against the sky - chromaticism meager or even invisible. (The sky is something much lighter.) Eye relief is quite large, it is possible to speak of about 3 mm difference with the x36. As a result, without removing the lenses can be seen almost every field. And quite comfortable seen. Unfortunately, increasing the removal of the pupil, the engineers forgot Zen increase the range of adjustment of eye cups, so that the glasses are very comfortable, but no points if the rest the eyecups in the face, or even just to bring almost back to back, getting funny blackouts. If alienate x43 on behalf of those most about 3mm, then everything will be fine, but keep it uncomfortable. x36 with no points - very convenient to watch and glasses lost 15 ... 20 percent of the field (depending on the points and they sit). "amateur Council "with birdforum to lengthen eye cups on x43 solves a problem for people without glasses, but ochkarikov binoculars abruptly becomes less convenient. And do what you want. Focusing in x43 is very fast and sharp, small wheel turn it significantly changes. Hence it follows another point. There are binoculars option that virtually none of the manufacturers of binoculars in the specification clearly and honestly is not documented, it is a complete margin diopters when focusing at infinity (and vicinity). I'm talking about big minus infinity. x36 We reserve is huge - with a large red, and in the black, there is a considerable margin of diopters, with stepless adjustment allows it to build up very accurately. At 8h43 ed3 margin nearly as well, or at all slightly less (subjective assessment). And here at 7h43 range of adjustments decreased slightly sacrificed "fast focus", so there's margin of minus subjective, became a little less for a couple of diopters., that is. (If someone that are important details to tell). Finally, a subjective parameter - the comfort of images and observations. Both 7x it is very comfortable, enjoyable (as for me) than most 8-rock.

Funny, I noticed that when discussing how the eye relief on the 7x43 is TOO long for those who don't wear glasses, something often commented on here: "Unfortunately... the engineers forgot Zen increase the range of adjustment of eye cups, so that the glasses are very comfortable, but no points if the rest the eyecups in the face, or even just to bring almost back to back, getting funny blackouts".

... They appear to bring up the Steve C patented eyecup modification! "amateur Council with birdforum to lengthen eye cups on x43 solves a problem for people without glasses"

Takeaway seems to be that the 7x43 is a bit brighter and sharper, but most importantly when sacrificing overall FOV vs. the x36 the x43 has increased the size of the sweet spot and edge performance.

Eitan, sorry, saw your posts here only at this stage! What I did (in case this is easier for other readers) is "copy-and-paste" the relevant text from the blog into the Google Translate panel.

If you have compared the two bins "side by side", do you instantly notice the bigger FOV of the 7x36 ED2, i.e. that despite the less sharp outer area you usefully see more of the scene? The writer does say (in that transln.) that the FOV of the 7x43 ED3 is "clearly smaller" but this might mean just the specification. PS If he/she saw "ships in the roads" there may be serious problems with resolution. (Sorry couldn't resist.)

Last edited:
I am not Eitan but I did compare the two side by side. I couldn't see the difference in field of view referenced but that was most likely because I can't quite see the full field of view in the 36. The ocular surface is recessed from the eyecup edge just a bit more than I would prefer. I don't immediately notice it because the percentage of the field of view that I can't see is relatively small.

Frank, thanks (not being Eitan excused). More of the FOV will be cut off from me as I wear specs. A bit of a relief, actually, as it means no useless regrets, at which I'm rather skilled. Should be getting my ED3 7x43 at last very soon! PS But ah, that Kruger Caldera 8x42... so small and light, equal field, 8x image...

Last edited:
Bh4, I read several comparisons of the Caldera and ED3 and all said or implied the latter was a bit better optically. But I still like the factors I list above in the former. A main reason to go for the Zen is that there was more certainty about QC.

If you have compared the two bins "side by side", do you instantly notice the bigger FOV of the 7x36 ED2, i.e. that despite the less sharp outer area you usefully see more of the scene?

I've never seen them side by side, in fact have never tried the 7x43 ED3. I have owned both the 7x36 ED2 and the 8x43 ED3.

That said, I think the extra FOV of the 7x36 ED2 falls into that zone of "diminishing returns" I've mentioned before. In my opinion once you get beyond 8 degrees or so it starts getting less and less noticeable. For example, when I compared the 9* Celestron Granite 7x33 to some 8* bins (like the Alpen Rainier 8x32 I had at the time) I could only tell the FOV was wider if I specifically tried to look for it, e.g. by measuring against some fixed reference in the FOV.

YMMV but I personally would NEVER sweat the difference between the FOV's of the 7x43 and the 7x36. To me, the ED3 is so much better as a series that any minuscule difference in this respect would be far outweighed by all the other improvements... wider sweet spot, much better glare control, better edge performance, better eyecups, MUCH better focus knob, nicer tactile feel to the rubber armor, etc.

Eitan, thanks. I do now remember what you had written, but there's so much useful info. in BF that some of it is difficult to locate when you want to!

A main reason for pursuing info on the 7x36 ED2 has been the very last bit of the text copied below after the 7x43 ED3 has been included in the writer's list. This fine summary, in 2012 Nov., is in the blog in the website of Hyannis Whale Watcher Cruises at Cape Cod in the USA. The reason I copy rather than direct through a link is that it's easier to see the whole of it without the intervening pics of the bins.

[All formatting simplified here in copying]
Binoculars for Cape Cod Whale Watching [...]
Some Recommendations
Forums and discussion boards (Better View Desired, Optics Talk, Bird Forum, 24 hour Campfire, to name a few.) on the web allow readers access to tons of detailed reviews and useful information regarding binoculars. Use those resources to research your options, or better yet, check out our list of favorites below.
We have carefully hand-picked a batch of exceptional binoculars from $70-$450. They meet our criteria by being 6-7 power, with objective diameters between 30mm and 43mm. They all have advanced coatings, and many models boast excellent glass. There are some porro prism models that offer great value and accommodate smaller viewers. There are also some roof prism models that boast some of the best views in the world. Best of all, none go past $450! So with no further delay here are a dozen models to brood over:

[Photos omitted here]
Eagle Optics Ranger-SRT 6x32
Eagle Optics Kingbird-6-5x32
Leupold Katmai-6x32
Leupold Yosemite-6x30
Kowa YF 6x30
Vortex Viper HD-6x32
Vortex-Raptor-6.5x32
Vortex- Diamondback 7x36 (discontinued model, worth finding-a GREAT glass for low $$)
Leupold BX-2-Cascades-7x42
Nikon Action Series 7x35
Swift Eaglet HP 7x36
Zen-Ray ED2-7x36
Zen Ray ED3 7x43.
This is a list for an American market only. Other options may exist across the pond. If you have suggestions for other full/mid sized 6 or7 power binoculars that I have missed, I hope you will feel free to share them here. Likewise, any other questions and or comments. We hope this series leads you to finding the right binocular for whale watching and every other outdoor pursuit! Pssst, if you’ve read this far, a tip: Zen-Ray ED2-7x36. You will never regret a penny spent on this incredible glass. These days, I leave my Leicas on the dock.
Jonathan Brink

It's link to my review. 8~}

>>PS If he/she saw "ships in the roads" there may be serious problems with resolution. (Sorry couldn't resist.)

Google translation isn't very accurate. And some phrases require manual translation.

Day, bright day;
I'm looking at the ships (see details) in the roads [ships at anchor, (~3-6 km) from me],
looking to another object, big house (white windows, good for resolution/CA test) ,
looks at the trees on the slopes, and a small difference [between x36 and x43 binos] is visible, even if you do not go into the semi-darkness under the high treetops. The difference is very small during the day, but there is.

My translation also isn't ideal, but, I think, its better than Google-trans.

No serious problems with resolution, but resolution of 7x43 is slightly better.

>> that the FOV of the 7x43 ED3 is "clearly smaller"

Yes, but I can see entire field in 7x36 only without glasses, with glasses 15-20% of field is out. I see entire field in 7x43 with glasses.
And sweet spot in ed3 (%% from entore field) is bigger.

Evgeniy, thank you for the replies. I knew, of course, that the strange text was created by the translation program!

I'm happy you like your bin! Unfortunately, for me, in the meantime there's been a change. When I wrote that (above) I had not yet got mine, but when I did a few things about this fine instrument disappointed me. I wrote about it in the thread "Zen Ray 7x43 ED3" in this ZR forum. That was just after I got it but then I found eye relief was a bigger problem. I have -4.5 d. short sight and with or without specs I need to position my eyes pretty far back to be able to practically use the bin and then the field of view is narrowed a lot.

For this reason and others indicated in that thread I much prefer the 8x ED3, so now I'm hoping to get one instead.

Last edited:
Frank, thanks, figured that out months ago when prowling the 'net for wide-field 8xs and 7xs. He's another - like you - whose reports I always appreciate. Unfortunately, in this case his receptivity /interfacing /! whatever with the Z-R ED3 7x43 - like yours too - does not match mine. Maybe it's my short sight (-4.5d), maybe other factors, of whose existence knowledgeable people in BF have commented, but with the major ones not all known yet, it seems. Am exchanging my 7x for an 8x, with Charles at Z-R very kindly helping, in (I gather) his usual manner. Hope to then see the full field, practically imposs. with the 7x.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back