• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdguides BWPi (1 Viewer)

peteh

Is anyone thinking about getting this DVD?
I am tempted as it seems to be the ultimate collection (text, maps, artwork, videos, images & sound) on 1 dvd but at 175quid its a bit pricey.
(obviously compared to the £1100 for the books its a bargain of course!)

ta
Pete.

Hi Pete.
yes I to am tempted, then think of other things!!!!
will see if there are any offers at martin-mere
bird fair in november.
bert

Pete,
I vaguely remember that an attempt was made to get BWP onto CD/DVD a while ago and a product did appear in the market but it was very poor. I believe that the text was scanned and there were lots of incorrect letters in many words and that the pictures, maps etc turned out poor. It then seemed to disappear presumably because no one was buying it. I assume that this newly advertised DVD is of good quality. I would like to see a demo before I buy. As Bert says, maybe try it out at the bird fair in a few weeks time or try to fnd another place where it can be viewed.

Colin, I think the one you're referring to was the one that BWP produced themselves.

The BirdGuides one was demonstrated at Rutland Bird Fair and it looks excellent. I'm not sure if they're going to Martin Mere.

Diane,
Yes, you have jogged my failing memory. It was BWP themselves. Haven't seen this one but I didn't want Pete to shell out if it was the duff one. Sounds a good price to me. Might investigate it myself. See what BirdForum has done to me now!!! - spending money. Gone all faint at the thought of opening my wallet :bounce:

I am just wondering as I have never owned any bwp stuff.
Does it cover just what breed in the wp or does their books cover everything that has occured in the wp?
Like american stuff etc.
ta
Pete.

Hi all,

The BWP cd's were very good ......... if they installed properly! Perhaps something to do with Borland databases running on Micro$oft systems? Mine, (@ £99?) not installed since recent reinstall of Windoze, so I will have to rely on (dodgy) memory, had all spp. that occur in the WP; some vagrants restricted to the type/plumage that had occurred here; therefore only a paragraph or two for some. I thought it was good value, though for the amount of detail on most species.

Andy.

A word of caution Peteh, i paid £150, for birdguides DVD rom to all the birds of europe, after a year it just stopped working, i worked out in the year it had been in use about 10 hours.
tried to get some help from birdguides but no joy so i am left with an expensive ashtray.

ooerrr!
Good word of warning.
Ive never thought about backing up any of my dvds before
but I would if I got that bwpi dvd!

By co-incidence I got a catalogue from them this morning, although I did not ask for it. I think their DVD guide to British Birds for £49. 95 seems more up to my abilities. It still has over 700 video clips covering every species, nearly 500 recording of songs and calls, over 700 illustrations, and almost 400 distribution maps and over 3000 screens of text as well as a list of the best sites in Britain to see over 100 rarer species. Also available as a two disc Cd rom set for £39. 95. Each order is + £1.99 p & p.

Hi Geoff,
That dvd is what I have at the moment and am just now finding things missing that I needed to learn (just in case!) like calls of some vagrants etc etc.

The BWP CDRom is excellent and I use it regularly. I also have the Birdguides DVD All The Birds of Europe also very good. Put the two together and you must have something very very good.
Brian

I also have been using the Birdguides DVD All The Birds of Europe (ver 7) as a brilliant guide for some while. I have given details in another thread on mounting the entire DVD (or CDs - depending on your version) onto the hard drive of the computer and running it from there. It becomes much more user friendly. It also solve the problem of having to back up DVDs in case of failure (as per Cuddy's post).
Still wondering about the BWPi version!

All

If you're a registered user of Birdguides All The Birds of Europe DVD or CD-rom, The BWPi is available for £140!!

THe same goes if your are the registered user of BWP cd's.

I have both but am still going to buy BWPi. More money than sense, or was it no money and no sense!!

;) paj

digi-birder said:
No. It's a couple of quid dearer.

Ralphj

Interested in loading DVD All the birds of Europe onto my hard drive but can't find your thread. Could you let me know where it is.

Thanks

paj

ralphj said:
I also have been using the Birdguides DVD All The Birds of Europe (ver 7) as a brilliant guide for some while. I have given details in another thread on mounting the entire DVD (or CDs - depending on your version) onto the hard drive of the computer and running it from there. It becomes much more user friendly. It also solve the problem of having to back up DVDs in case of failure (as per Cuddy's post).
Still wondering about the BWPi version!

Colin said:
Pete,
I vaguely remember that an attempt was made to get BWP onto CD/DVD a while ago and a product did appear in the market but it was very poor. I believe that the text was scanned and there were lots of incorrect letters in many words and that the pictures, maps etc turned out poor. It then seemed to disappear presumably because no one was buying it. I assume that this newly advertised DVD is of good quality. I would like to see a demo before I buy. As Bert says, maybe try it out at the bird fair in a few weeks time or try to fnd another place where it can be viewed.

BWP has been on CD for at least 4 years to my knowledge! Nothing poor about it runs perfectly on a machine that does not have any programmes that conflicts with it. Also due to it being on 3 CD's its a pain changing disks. Although nowadays the second, 2 can be copied to the HD so you don't need to keep changing disks! or have more than 2 CD/DVD drives common now but not when the original BWP came out.

A DVD might be an improvement doubt it, the reason is that a DVD holds more info that's all!

I'll stick with the original ;) BI info etc 'aint changed the much!

Os

peteh said:
Is anyone thinking about getting this DVD?
I am tempted as it seems to be the ultimate collection (text, maps, artwork, videos, images & sound) on 1 dvd but at 175quid its a bit pricey.
(obviously compared to the £1100 for the books its a bargain of course!)

ta
Pete.

Quite how you come to a figure of £1,100 price for Western P's books, I don't know ;) I've plenty of accurately informed books covering this region costing less. Unless you're talking about the "official" BWP books? Plenty of mistakes in the books and could/will be include on the DVD as on the original BWP CD and books.

Also have the original BWP cd's. I won't be tempted. When in the field I don't want to lug a computer around ;)

Os

BirdGuides Customer Support

cuddy said:
A word of caution Peteh, i paid £150, for birdguides DVD rom to all the birds of europe, after a year it just stopped working, i worked out in the year it had been in use about 10 hours.
tried to get some help from birdguides but no joy so i am left with an expensive ashtray.

A quick message for Cuddy and anyone else requiring support a BirdGuides CD-ROM or DVD-ROM (sorry for the long delay but I've only just seen Pete's posting).

We offer free Customer Support by phone (for the cost of a local call only) on 0870 011 9803, by email at [email protected], or online at www.birdguides.com/support

If a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM is damaged or otherwise defective we'll happily issue a free replacement (in most cases and, in the case of older versions, assuming we still have replacement stock available). If a problem arises because of (e.g.) an operating system upgrade we'll do what we can to get it working again.

Regards

Dave Dunford
BirdGuides webmaster

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back