• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DROBO hard drives (1 Viewer)

mdb2

hi all After reading the previous thread about WD external hard I was a little worried as I have the same in 1tb form. I have been impressed with this ex hard drive so far. being that computers have come late in my years on earth, it seemed a great idea that of plug and play. however I have always thought that when it breaks down especially with me being not that knowledgable with computers it would be a good idea to make backups as well to disc. Now I use a mac and the time capsule is very expensive per GB stored. My question is this is the Drobo external hard drive a better deal for our photos, has anyone got this system? Comments appreciated. Regards. Mike

Mike, my topic about the WD ext. drives is specific to those with the Smartware software, there are also equivalents from WD without it.

I know nothing of the Drobo drives.

A good place to check on most hardware components/devices is Newegg.com, check through the reviews from verified owners. Ebuyer/Amazon reviews can be useful too but read all reviews carefully, sometimes they're for an older version or even a different product altogether.

I love my DROBO, I have the 4 port unit with 4 x 1Tb drives docked buts its configured as an 8Tb drive so I can double capacity very easily. I have it partioned with a 500Gb drive which is time machine, so all imac hard drive back ups are secure on DROBO.
It runs 800Mb firewire and works as effectively as any connected drive.
Its my fav gadget
Checkout their website for up to date info, I've had mine nearly 2 years and its never missed a beat.
Feel free to ask any more questions

I love my DROBO, I have the 4 port unit with 4 x 1Tb drives docked buts its configured as an 8Tb drive so I can double capacity very easily. I have it partioned with a 500Gb drive which is time machine, so all imac hard drive back ups are secure on DROBO.
It runs 800Mb firewire and works as effectively as any connected drive.
Its my fav gadget
Checkout their website for up to date info, I've had mine nearly 2 years and its never missed a beat.
Feel free to ask any more questions

thanks Duke, that's what I was looking at is the 500gb time machine essential? And what is partioned please? Also is the DROBO easy to set up? Regards mike

Last edited:
Mike the Drobo in essence is one large drive, so when you plug it in and set it up (very easy indeed) you can partition the drive so on my imac its basically an 8Tb volume. This I have split in to 2, a 500Gb partition and the rest 7.5Tb. The 500Gb I have told the mac is the time machine backup so manages the security of the internal hard drive, the rest is where I dump my images so on the desk top I have 2 as in the picture but both are on the drobo

Attachments

• screen-grab.jpg
    screen-grab.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 73
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back