Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Lesbos

Old Wednesday 31st October 2007, 20:53   #1
hancock

Lesbos

Have just booked a holiday in lesbos 1st may 2008 for 14 days, we are staying at the kalloni 11 at Skala Kalloni,We would like to know the best mode of transport in and around the skala kalloni area,we generally like walking is this ok or is it better hireing a car and if so can we hire one when we get there.
Old Wednesday 31st October 2007, 22:59   #2
scary-canary
Canaries forever... and i'm not always scary, sometimes it's just Chris!

It's been a few years since i went there, but if i remember rightly you won't need a car for lots of the sites, but three or four days would give you some extra sites. Certainly not needed for the fortnight and you can hire them in the town. You won't get the nuthatch without one though.
Old Thursday 1st November 2007, 11:54   #3
Sandra (Taylor)
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock View Post
Have just booked a holiday in lesbos 1st may 2008 for 14 days, we are staying at the kalloni 11 at Skala Kalloni,We would like to know the best mode of transport in and around the skala kalloni area,we generally like walking is this ok or is it better hireing a car and if so can we hire one when we get there.
Lucky you! We're missing out on Lesvos in 2008 for the first time in about 8 years! Hire a car every time! ou'll easily be able to get to the whole island then. We've had a good deal the last 2 yrs with Billy's in Petra - free delivery to your hotel, or pick it up at the airport. There are also a couple of car hire places in the square at Skala Kalloni. There's useful information on the Forum - try 'Lesvos' or 'Vacations'. Read the many reports on there - you'll find them very interesting and informative, and will be able to plan your holiday round them.

Sandra

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 2nd November 2007, 08:01   #4
Sleeper

Hi hancock

We are heading to the same hotel on the same date and I wonder how well the hire companies will deal with the increased need for a hire car all within a short spell and so early in the season.

I have to say that whilst I prefer to hire a car for a few days, it seems it does not detract from the place if we cannot. The most useful part of a hire car, having read a few comments and listened to others peoples experiences, is the fact that it acts as a great hide to aid photography.

See you there! And I promise not to take the last hire car.
Old Friday 23rd November 2007, 18:25   #5
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

Hi Hancock

You've got some great birding on foot from Skala Kallonis. If its been a wet winter then the S Kallonis pools will be good (right outside the hotel) but a dry winter means these are useless, and both Christou (west) and Tsiknias (east) rivers are both easily reached on foot. You could walk to Kalloni Saltpans from S Kallonis, but by the time you're there it will be getting seriously hot (upto 30 degrees by the start of the second week of May).

However, the rest of the island is only accessible by car, and as sleeper has already satted, provides a great birding/photography hide.

I've just announced a new website which you mght find interesting - www.lesvosbirding.com.

I'm on the island 17 April - 8 May staying at Pasiphae Hotel (next door to Kalloni II) so maybe see you around.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 10th January 2008, 14:41   #6
Ghostly Vision
The Upside Down

Hi there

As I've just said on another thread, if you are visiting Lesvos in May, there is a rare and beautiful Orchid to see there, Comperia comperiana.

See this link for pics: (Sorry it's so big)

http://www.guenther-blaich.de/le/com...3D10%26hl%3Den

It is really worth the effort since almost everywhere else it grows, in Turkey, it is being dug up to make Ice cream from the roots!

Sean
Old Saturday 12th January 2008, 17:50   #7
davidg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned bike hire in Skala. 5 Euros a day from Maria's Bikes and you can easily get to the main sites - Salt pans, inland lake, East and West rivers, Potamia valley. Achladeri is probably a bit far, though.

David
Old Tuesday 15th January 2008, 11:10   #8
Ghostly Vision
The Upside Down

Sorry, here is the link

http://www.guenther-blaich.de/artsei...ria+comperiana
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: