• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID of wader/ Iran (1 Viewer)

Shahrzad

Iran
Have any comments on identifying this bird?

3 Agu. 2017 , Near to Varamin / Iran

Attachments

• 3I3A1411111.jpg
    3I3A1411111.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 259
The only other possible candidate would be very much less likely on location. (Wilson's Phalarope)

I don't think I'd be as quick to suggest Marsh Sand as an alternative if this was a US photo :)

Last edited:
Same here especially with that white face and bill.. It certainly has a Ruff look to it..

Haha-now that I've said 100% not Ruff you're going to prove me wrong! The reflection perhaps gives a truer impression of Ruff for some reason (maybe just me) but it does indeed appear to have a broader-based bill with subtle down-curve that would indeed make it one :eek!:

They never illustrate Marsh Sandpiper with sods of mud on the bill in field guides do they? Ruff might be, traditionally, shorter-billed than Marsh. Also the overall plumage deets represent a non-Ruff. My contribution FWIW.

Last edited:
I had trouble to be sure it is Marsh Sandpiper, but I've no trouble to exclude definitely Ruff. Marsh Sandpiper should be the conclusion, as no other suggestion done (away from Ruff, but all plumage, bill length/shape, wing structure are wrong).

Could a Marsh Sand look like this in a low resolution picture - well here is one to compare to - taken from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v57gkEVG0pk

And for fun Ruff AND Wilsons Phal

I just don't see the body shape of a Ruff in the mystery

Attachments

• marsh s.png
    marsh s.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 78
  • wilson.png
    wilson.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I think it's Marsh Sandpiper
A low quality image of Marsh Sandpiper for comparison taken last week; probably same location.

Attachments

• DSCN2131.JPG
    DSCN2131.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 93
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back