• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikons: SE 8x32 v. MHG 8x42? (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I know any comparison isn't apples v. oranges. But I'll try to explain my dilemma, and ask for observations. I love SE 8x32. There is a peculiar intensity to the view that I can't describe, and I don't 'do' technical. But I recently got MHG 10x42, and I think these are also wonderful. There's not a lot in it, and any optical difference might be down to the magnification difference rather than anything more subtle.
Now my problem...I like the wider FOV of the MHG (giving a very pleasant AFOV). The 7.5* FOV of the SE's has always been a satisfactory trade-off for it's spectacular view. I don't worry about the whole light-transmission thing (in fact some binos have appeared 'too bright' to me, if that makes sense), so I'm not going to trade my SE's for MHG 8x42 for extra light. But I am intigued by the 8.2* FOV of the MHG 8x42, and wonder if anyone has compared them side-by-side?

I know any comparison isn't apples v. oranges. But I'll try to explain my dilemma, and ask for observations. I love SE 8x32. There is a peculiar intensity to the view that I can't describe, and I don't 'do' technical. But I recently got MHG 10x42, and I think these are also wonderful. There's not a lot in it, and any optical difference might be down to the magnification difference rather than anything more subtle.
Now my problem...I like the wider FOV of the MHG (giving a very pleasant AFOV). The 7.5* FOV of the SE's has always been a satisfactory trade-off for it's spectacular view. I don't worry about the whole light-transmission thing (in fact some binos have appeared 'too bright' to me, if that makes sense), so I'm not going to trade my SE's for MHG 8x42 for extra light. But I am intigued by the 8.2* FOV of the MHG 8x42, and wonder if anyone has compared them side-by-side?

Sancho,

I have both the SE 8x32 and Monarch HG 8x42 but have not really made a comparison of them yet. It is a nice day here in NE PA so I will try to spend some time with both of them and try to get back to you with my impressions.

FWIW Allbinos has reviewed the Monarch HG 10x42 and the SE 10x42 and has ranked them respectively 8th and 9th in their 10x42 Ratings. You might want to look at their reviews of them.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

Bob

Last edited:
Sancho,

I have both, and yes the SE is a very special glass, for me it is all about the view whether roof or porro, my favorite 10X42 is still the SE over other 10X42 roofs I have, though having less FOV.
The MHG 8X42 is a nice glass, a nice wide view but what comes with it sacrificing size/weight is a view which is a bit, (how should I say it) compressed in certain situations - I notice some pincushion when panning it does not bother me, it may bother other viewers. When viewing stationary, it provides a really nice clear bright view, for a glass at this price point and light in weight as you have noticed with the 10x42. The 10X MHG may suffer less of this (compression) at 7 degrees, but I have not viewed through it, though only 2X more they should be about the same as the 8X42 in general viewing, (both have approximately the same APOV ~60-62 degrees). By providing an additional 1.3 degrees FOV in the 8X42 and to keep the size/weight down, there are likely to be some subtle differences between the 8 and 10X MHGs.
My suggestion would be to get one (8X42) and try it out, and possibly add to your collection.

A.W.

Thanks Bob and AW! I was half thinking of selling the SE to part-fund an MHG 8x...I don't want to have a collection anymore, just an 8x, a 10x and a compact (although I suppose that's a 'collection', and I forgot my old Minox 15x58!). But I think selling the SE would engender regret...another nice roof will be along shortly, but SE's are gone.

If you are looking for a wider field of view without sacrificing the nikon porro view you could sell the SE and buy an E2 in its place... o:D

George

View

If you are looking for a wider field of view without sacrificing the nikon porro view you could sell the SE and buy an E2 in its place...

George

Why not have both in 10X.

A.W.

Last edited:
When madness approaches me and I begin to wonder whether to sell my 8x32 SEs, I am turned back to sanity by just a quick look through them.
I know if I sold them I would always regret it, big time.

Sancho. You said the Nikon MHG 10x42's were wonderful. Did you like them better than your Nikon 8x32 SE's?

It depends on what kind of mood I'm in. I don't like one over the other, and obviously when out and about I couldn't care less what bins I have. Like Boogie said, the best way to fall in love with the SE's is to look through them again. I've had three pairs over the last 20-odd years, this current pair I bought from a goodly BF member (whom I hope isn't yearning for them now!). They're the 551xxx series, which some folk suggested were 'upgrades', but I don't know if there's any real difference. There is something very vivid and intense about the SE view, not bright, not wide, but I find it.....comforting;).

Regarding the difference, and mind you I do not look through them each day, one a 502XXX the other 550XXX, there is a slight color difference in the objectives and perhaps the later model is minutely brighter, the difference is to me however, is minor.

A.W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back