• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trophy 8x27, anyone got a pair (1 Viewer)

Sorry, I can't help, I tried and failed to find reviews of these on the web recently. I eventualy decided on the 8x40's.

Like the nickname btw. :)

rozinante said:
Sorry, I can't help, I tried and failed to find reviews of these on the web recently. I eventualy decided on the 8x40's.

Like the nickname btw. :)
Trying to find reviews is pretty infuriating anyway,you enter the item into Google and up comes 247,000 results and then when you start ploughing your way through the results they all come up with the same sorry tale of woe, " there are no reviews available at present", why do they bother listing a review is available?. I notice reference to the Cornell review in some threads,can anyone enlighten me on what this refers to?

8x27 Trophy,First impressions

Purchased a pair from Microglobe for £61,inc Royal Mail Special Del,arrived day after placing order.First impressions are very good, centre hinge is much better than twin hinge,and they feel well made,bought a pair of 9x25 Nikon Travelite on fleabay last week which were listed as new,arrived to reveal rubber coating hanging off,thankfully seller took them back,but it gave me a chance to look through them and I would say that Trophy's are noticeably sharper and definitely brighter,plus an extra 25m on the FOV.Focus wheel is stiff and no optic covers or rainguard,any suggestions to where I can get?

The 9x25 Travelite isn't that bad. Pretty useable, and FOV OK. The appeal is in the 9x25 Prostaffs that are waterproof. Good for hiking canoeing etc.

Good that you are satisfied. It is sometimes a big job to go through all these compacts and try them out, as every store just has one or two brands. I rejected some Audubons as even less sharp than the Travelites.

Tero said:
The 9x25 Travelite isn't that bad. Pretty useable, and FOV OK. The appeal is in the 9x25 Prostaffs that are waterproof. Good for hiking canoeing etc.

Good that you are satisfied. It is sometimes a big job to go through all these compacts and try them out, as every store just has one or two brands. I rejected some Audubons as even less sharp than the Travelites.

Sorry but I have to strongly disagree, either the pair I tried were complete lemons (and that is possible) or the9x25 Travelite is a very flimsy made binocular.What surprised me more than anything was not so much that the rubber armour was peeling,that would have been easy to rectify, but when I held it back in place ,it did not fit, leaving a noticeable gap when compared with the other side, optically I put the Trophy well ahead, and I have been a Nikon fan since I was in school and that was not yesterday. I am still looking for an ultra compact 8/10x 25, length under 100mm, Leica Trinovid are inside budget but Fov on 8x is only 110m, Opticron DBA Oasis are 105mm but have an impressive FOV of 131m and cost less,£199 ,Opticron BGA TPC 8x24 are 103mm,same FOV as Leica's ,cost £135,Leica are £249 ,all on W/E, so much choice and it is really difficult to decide whether to take the Leica plunge,can I justify £ 114 more ?, are they that much better?

Sure, the Leicas are better, no doubt. I use a number of pocket size porros. They seem OK for most casual birding. The Travelites come in a waterproof version, so the materials can be better. The pocket size roof prisms are harder to make, cheaply. I have a pair of gold Minoltas that look ugly but optics are OK. My first pockets were Bushnell 10x25 roof prisms. They are better than nothing, but the sweet spot is tiny, cost about 20 dollars here. I have them in my bike bag, use once a year.

Minox might be worth a look
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?dept=1&type=19&purch=1&pid=413
I have never gotten to look at ANY Minoxes myself.

People have liked the Nikon high end compacts as well, but I don't know how durable they are.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-8x20mm-premier-lx-binoculars.html

I'm sure there is a thread on them here somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back