• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 Premier LX-L: How much focus overdrive past infinity? (1 Viewer)

etc

Looking at 8x32 Premier LX-L, the latest and greatest 8x32...

Question, how much focus past infinity does it have?

I have severe myopia but would like to use them without eyeglasses, so I would need at least 6 Diopters of overtravel past infinity.

I understand eye relief is 17mm, that should be great with eyeglasses.

Hello etc;

I do not have an 8x32 of these, but just checked an 8x20. It measured, rougly, -6d but because of DOF and other considerations, +/- 1D would be likely. So close to your minimum that you would need to check the sample before you bought to be sure. The 8x32 version may have a different range too.

Sorry not to be any more help.

Best;
Ron

etc,

I own and use an 8x32 LX L. It probably has about -4D, perhaps not enough for your needs, but it's also not calibrated so I can't tell for sure.

After following several of your threads, all dealing with this question, I hope you're not offended by me suggesting that you may be barking up the wrong tree. I have moderate presbeopia and can operate with or without glasses. For many years I insisted on not using them with binoculars, but after I got the 8x32 LX L I finally realized that the view was much better with them on. Why? I also have astigmatism that is quite different in each eye. So without correction the view is compromised, whether I like it or not.

Fortunately, the 10x42 SLC I bought several years ago works quite well with glasses on, — but the LXL seems to have been designed with that in mind. It's most remarkable! You might give them a try just to see if it works for you. :t:

Blue skies,
Elk

Last edited:
I too have mild astigmatism but never noticed it whether using eyeglasses or not.

I read that 8x32 LX-L has 17mm of eye relief, so they should work nicely with glasses...

I too have mild astigmatism but never noticed it whether using eyeglasses or not.

I read that 8x32 LX-L has 17mm of eye relief, so they should work nicely with glasses...

You might make a deliberate comparison. My guess is the image will improve with astigmatism corrected by your glasses, and the viewing experience will be more natural and enjoyable. The LX L design does that for me. Also, for some reason color fringing seems to be less evident with my glasses on.

I tried a number of 8x32 roofs in the last few months,and that particular issue was my main concern,since i have myopia and i dont like to use my glasses all the time when viewing..the LXL ,well surpasses infinity with my 3.5 diopters....i estimate at least 6 in the LXL...The Pentax ED 8x32 was a great binocular but the overdrive was a mere 4 ,and although i reached infinity i was JUST there ,and i wasnt totally comfortable with the feeling..i often like to stress a bit the focus towards passing in-focus,and adjust with my eyes,perhaps to compensate my astigmatism..I can create very sharp images this way,and i wasnt able to play with this fact when using the pentax(an incredible binocular,by the way)...Minox BD 8x32 had even less overdrive,probably 3.5 diop....I also had a pair of Bushnell DISCOVERER 7x42 ,but i wasnt able to reach infinity with them,probably slightly under 3.5 diopter overdrive
I think the SUPER-CLOSE focus(4.5 FEET near focus) models are going to have always a bit less overdrive,just because they use most of their focus travel to get the lenses to focus up close.And i'd guess that roofs are more compromised in this aspect,due to their compactness and internal focus
The LXL suppose to focus at 8 feet,but without my glasses i can focus them at 5 feet...

Last edited:
This is an old thread, but perhaps myopes still search for this topic.

My myopia needs correction in the –6.0D to –6.5D region (perhaps one reason binoculars have fascinated me for so long!). I recently bought an 8x32 HG L. Not only does it focus to infinity without glasses, it does so with more leeway than any other binocular I’ve tried: there is something like 1/6th of a turn of focus knob remaining. Since these binoculars have a very fast focus, that feels like a huge amount of focus travel remaining (for example, there is much less than 1/6th of a turn between infinity focus for me with and without my glasses).

Etc: if you still get updates to this thread, I’d greatly appreciate a note on which binoculars have worked for you. I see you’ve created several threads on this topic, so it’s something that has preoccupied you for a while. Even today, it’s frustratingly hard to find this vital specification for binoculars. Swarovski is unusual in providing it, but their figures seem inaccurate or overly conservative.

This is an old thread, but perhaps myopes still search for this topic.

My myopia needs correction in the –6.0D to –6.5D region (perhaps one reason binoculars have fascinated me for so long!). I recently bought an 8x32 HG L. Not only does it focus to infinity without glasses, it does so with more leeway than any other binocular I’ve tried: there is something like 1/6th of a turn of focus knob remaining. Since these binoculars have a very fast focus, that feels like a huge amount of focus travel remaining (for example, there is much less than 1/6th of a turn between infinity focus for me with and without my glasses).

Etc: if you still get updates to this thread, I’d greatly appreciate a note on which binoculars have worked for you. I see you’ve created several threads on this topic, so it’s something that has preoccupied you for a while. Even today, it’s frustratingly hard to find this vital specification for binoculars. Swarovski is unusual in providing it, but their figures seem inaccurate or overly conservative.

I just saw this.

I have been using Swaro EL for the last 10 years with success, they go all the way to -6 D, just barely sufficient.

My next item will be Zeiss 8x42 SF. Zeiss told me they go to at least -6D.

I hear Nikon is really good too but cannot get specifics on various models, maybe someone has a chart.
FWIW Leica is competely out due to being -4D for all models.

I see Swaro EL 10x42 has -8D so that should work for you nicely. some SLC have up to -8D.

I think the SUPER-CLOSE focus(4.5 FEET near focus) models are going to have always a bit less overdrive,just because they use most of their focus travel to get the lenses to focus up close.And i'd guess that roofs are more compromised in this aspect,due to their compactness and internal focus
The LXL suppose to focus at 8 feet,but without my glasses i can focus them at 5 feet...

Interesting point.
I am much more worried about overdrive past infinity versus close-up focus that is irrelevant. I really don't care about 8 feet or even 25 feet. I think that's just absurd. Binos are for things 50 meters to half a kilometer away and beyond, not breathing distance away.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back