• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best binoculars in £300 price range? (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

As I am looking at upgrading this year, I would welcome peoples views. People say you pay for what you get, but this is definately not always the case with binoculars.

I am considering the following, and would welcome peoples views who perhaps tried some of them out before deciding...

Avian F series 8 or 10 x 42
Viking GR 8 x 32 or 8 x 45
Minox 8 x 44 BP porro prisms
RSPB High Grade 8 x 42 PC

The RSPB High grade are just under £400 actually, the rest being just under £300. But the RSPB High grade have received excellent reviews - all have actually at some time, but the advantage they have over the other 3 is the 1.25 turn speedy focussing wheel, that helps you get views of that flitting warbler!
I currently have chunky 10 x 45 Viking binoculars that give superb clear views (for the money), but in winter I find focussing very difficult as the wheel becomes stiffer.

Any opinions on the above would be appreciated.

wolfbirder said:
As I am looking at upgrading this year, I would welcome peoples views. People say you pay for what you get, but this is definately not always the case with binoculars.

I am considering the following, and would welcome peoples views who perhaps tried some of them out before deciding...

The RSPB High grade are just under £400 actually, the rest being just under £300. But the RSPB High grade have received excellent reviews - all have actually at some time, but the advantage they have over the other 3 is the 1.25 turn speedy focussing wheel, that helps you get views of that flitting warbler!
I currently have chunky 10 x 45 Viking binoculars that give superb clear views (for the money), but in winter I find focussing very difficult as the wheel becomes stiffer.

if you are not hung up on 8x then the Nikon HG10x32 on warehouseexpress take some beating at £339

wolfbirder said:
the advantage they have over the other 3 is the 1.25 turn speedy focussing wheel, that helps you get views of that flitting warbler!
I haven't used any of the bins on the shortlist, so can't comment on that - sorry.

However, I'd issue a word of caution about really quick focus wheels - they're not everyone's cup of tea. I can remember trying the new Zeiss FLs (or at least I think it was these) last year, and disliking the rather fast focus. It's probably great at close range, but viewing at any distance you've got such a small margin to get things in sharp focus that viewing gets slightly tricky. I quite like having the ability to fine-tune the focus in small increments, seeking the perfect image...

Anyway, the moral of the story is the same as ever - once you've heard other people's views, try them all out in person, to see what you think, and what you like.

Swift 8.5x44 poros (fov=430ft at 1000yds). You might find some of the older leica and zeiss models within your budget on US web sites. If it's flitting warblers etc the lower the mag; wider field of view(fov). Many of the new roofs although good optically often have relitively poor fov's.

thanks for your views - not going to rush this. will of course try various models come the time. your views are very interesting and i appreciate your thoughts and information folks.

I appreciate the models listed are not really top brand ones (Swar. Zeiss, Nikon etc) but they all come out well in Birdwatch/Birdwatching test reviews.

Keep it coming!

wolfbirder said:

Nothing at all currently matches the spec and value of the Nikon 10x32HG still available from Warehouse Express - these bins were more than double that price just a while back and the newer model is nearly identical (identical optically). The view is walk-in, wide, clear, bright and sharp edge to edge. Mechanically the bins are as good as any available anywhere and are fully waterproof.

wolfbirder said:
thanks for your views - not going to rush this. will of course try various models come the time. your views are very interesting and i appreciate your thoughts and information folks.

I appreciate the models listed are not really top brand ones (Swar. Zeiss, Nikon etc) but they all come out well in Birdwatch/Birdwatching test reviews.

Keep it coming!

Wolfy those Nikon HG 10x32 are TOP bins. if you go here http://www.alula.fi/GB/index.htm and select optics you'll see a review dated 4/2003 where the 8x32 is compared VERY favourably against the Swaro EL and if you check out the 1/2004 the 10x32 fairs equally well.

You'll only be able to try the HGL's but the only difference I can tell is that the HGL's are 20grams lighter.

The RSPB High Grades are great value binoculars. I think they were flogging
the 7x42's at Titchwell for under £300. Excellent depth of field and great optics
for the money. If i had 300 quid to spend, that's what i'd buy. :)

dave...

deboo said:
The RSPB High Grades are great value binoculars. I think they were flogging
the 7x42's at Titchwell for under £300. Excellent depth of field and great optics
for the money. If i had 300 quid to spend, that's what i'd buy. :)

dave...

you may be right think they are being discontinued.

wolfbirder said:

I would add the Nikon E11 8x30 to that list as well. I believe they are just under 300 in UK. Check out soem of the reviews here on this site and also on BVD and Alula and you'll see they come out very well against the more expensive models. Also they have a great field of view 461 ft at 1000yds, not many 8X can match that and even a 7x thats a great FOV. Downsides are they are not waterproof but they are very lightweight. Try them out on your list

I'd add the RSPB 8x32 version to the list. I'm pretty sure they are within your £300 budget, unlike the 8x42 model. I tried them a year ago and loved them - they stood up extremely well against my Leica 8x32s and if I had £300 to spend on new bins, they would be on my shortlist of two, along with the Nikon 8x32s (outstanding bins, and the 8x32 model is plenty light enough even for me).

On the other hand, my Leica trinovids were second hand, and I'd probably go that route again, rather than buying new. You should be able to pick up a pair of Trinovid 8x32s for somewhere between £350 and £450 from a reputable second hand dealer (perhaps cheaper if you buy direct from the seller), and these won't see you far wrong - still one of the best birding bins I've ever seen.

I'd agree with Marc - the RSPB 8x32 FC (?) are excellent bins for the money - my wife uses them and I'm always happy to borrow them. I used to have the 8x42 HG and thought they were excellent, good quality optics and very well built. I's still be using them if I hadn't got a good deal on some secondhand Leicas.

Also as Marc suggests, have a look at the secondhand stuff that's about, you can get some really good deals. You should be able to get Leica 8x32's for the price he suggests, maybe even less if you go for BAs rather than BNs.

wolfbirder said:

Have a look at the warehouse Express offer on the Nikon 10x32 HG's for £339. If you can find a better binocular at that price I would be very surprised.

Thank you all for your continued input. I am really surprised 8 x 32's have such light gathering ability, I had discounted any for this very reason.

Certainly given me much food for thought folks. I feel well advised. :t:

wolfbirder said:
Thank you all for your continued input. I am really surprised 8 x 32's have such light gathering ability, I had discounted any for this very reason.

Certainly given me much food for thought folks. I feel well advised. :t:
Well... now, if you have the chance, look through a pair of Ultravid 10x25 and a yet bigger surprise is in store. Next to my Swaro 8.5x42ELs there's really no noticeable difference visible. The Ultravids are extraordinarily bright for such a small binocular and have left me wondering why full size bins are so popular. Either that or my eyes (and my son's eyes) aren't up to it! No - the baby Leicas use a new light transmission system that is the best currently available (and that is info from a competing manufacturer!).

I have the RSPB high grade model mainly because I am a volunteer with the RSPB and you then get a tremendous discount from their list price, but they are very good bins for the money anyway. :brains:

Geoff Brown said:
I have the RSPB high grade model mainly because I am a volunteer with the RSPB and you then get a tremendous discount from their list price, but they are very good bins for the money anyway. :brains:
More power to your elbow - RSPB volunteers are the salt of the earth! Happy New Year!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back