Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Black-backed Gulls Puzzle for an Aussie

Old Thursday 30th July 2020, 07:38   #1
Seashore

Black-backed Gulls Puzzle for an Aussie

To continue the theme of black-backed gulls I have moved on from the down under species to those I have seen in the UK and other places north of the equator. The problem is I seem to be at a loss in identifying them. I've included some photos I took a Dungeness several years ago and would appreciate help identifying what species they are.

https://www.ararelitus.com/birds-1

Thanks in advance....
Old Thursday 30th July 2020, 10:23   #2
opisska
Jan Ebr

I think this would have more success in the Bird ID subforum - https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=114 which is dedicated exactly to such questions.

I think that on the first question, the focused adult and the immature in front if it are both Greater BBG while the second photo of adult could be Lesser BBG (definitely not a Herring), just based on bill sizes - but I am insecure about big gulls and always like to see all parts of the bird. UK people will be much better at this.
Old Thursday 30th July 2020, 10:35   #3
THE_FERN

Suspect you'd do better posting this to the ID q&a forum. I'm not brilliant at gulls, partly because I'm not a believer in some of the taxa, but in your first pic you've a couple of adult great black-backed gulls (real hefty bills if not up to Pacific standards, very dark backs, broad white tertial "step"), the front bird is an immature of the same species (quite white-looking face, hefty bill). In the background is what I think is a herring gull (pale grey mantle, "mirror" pattern. Appears dainty so probably a female). The other brown bird we can see is either a juvenile herring or lesser black backed gull. I think the latter based on cool plumage tones, all-dark bill and what I can see of the feathering. Apart from those, there's one in the background which is obscured and out of focus. Wouldn't want to id that...

Later on the page you have adult great black-backed gull and I think the immature-something-or-other's the same.
Old Thursday 30th July 2020, 11:48   #4
James Lowther

Hi,
can't help with the gulls beyond what's been said already but your "wader" a few blog posts down is some sort of passerine, i guess a Horsfield's Bushlark
also you have australian reed warblers further down
cheers,
James
Old Friday 31st July 2020, 01:02   #5
Seashore

Hi, thanks for the reply's. I haven't used Birdforum for a while so yes I realised later the Q&A forum would have been best just after posting it LOL... the wader is definitely a passerine and yes it is a Horsfield's Bushlark, the wrong photo went in, LOL... but people saw through my mistake and identified it anyway.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: