Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Counting the days

Old Tuesday 13th September 2005, 20:55   #1
Sleeper

Counting the days

Well with my garden now remaining very quiet indeed with the Blackbird seeming a distant memory and the robin starting his winter warble I am the only one looking forward to frosty mornings?

I really can't wait for the winter Thrushes to make an appearance at some of the fruiting plants that I have planted in anticipation.

Dare I mention the possibility of another great influx of last years waxwing........oooohhh to see a Waxwing tucking into Crab Apples.

I really hate it when the garden is this quiet and "motionless". Anybody else think the same?
Old Wednesday 14th September 2005, 00:14   #2
Tammie

Hi Stephen,
It's getting pretty quiet around here too. Hardly any grackles this fall and so far, no starlings or red winged blackbirds at all... quite strange. I have what appears to be only one hummingbird left. Most of the purple finches have gone too. The black capped chickadees and blue jays have returned. In another month, I might have the pine grosbeaks back.... and shortly after that, the common redpolls will return for the winter.
No, I highly doubt that you're the only one looking forward to winter's visitors! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper
Well with my garden now remaining very quiet indeed with the Blackbird seeming a distant memory and the robin starting his winter warble I am the only one looking forward to frosty mornings?

I really can't wait for the winter Thrushes to make an appearance at some of the fruiting plants that I have planted in anticipation.

Dare I mention the possibility of another great influx of last years waxwing........oooohhh to see a Waxwing tucking into Crab Apples.

I really hate it when the garden is this quiet and "motionless". Anybody else think the same?
Old Wednesday 14th September 2005, 06:03   #3
Sleeper

Hi Tammie

I always find the change of personel in the garden at the changing of any season a tonic but I think there is something special about the winter visitors.

It would be even more special if one of your Pine Grosbeak turned up....now that would be refreshing!
Old Wednesday 14th September 2005, 12:56   #4
Tammie

I'll put some extra postage on his back if you'll send me something 'refreshing' in return. I'd be happy with a great spotted or green woodpecker.... maybe a robin ... or a long tailed or blue tit... a European goldfinch .... I'm not picky!!

Old Wednesday 14th September 2005, 21:06   #5
Sleeper

It's a deal tammie....a Long Tailed Tit it is.

Still looks like it's only me and thee who are looking forward to a few winter warmers though!
Old Wednesday 14th September 2005, 22:10   #6
Macswede
Macswede

It's fairly dead here at the moment as far as birds are concerned - there are a few hares and red squirrels about though.
As we live in a flat we don't have a proper garden but there are a lot of pine and birch trees surrounding the buildings and I remember the memorable occasion last winter when there was a mixed flock of Crossbills and Pine Grosbeaks in the vicinity. First I saw them from the guest room window then, after they flew off, from the kitchen window. It took a while before I finally convinced myself that I wasn't seeing things though.
Now I've got a Panasonic DMC-FZ20 with 12x zoom in case they return and I'm looking forward to photographing Waxwings gorging on the rowan berries. We had record numbers of those last year too.
I suppose all seasons have their compensations
Graham

Last edited by Macswede : Wednesday 14th September 2005 at 22:12. Reason: text added
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: