Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Is it worth it?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 22nd May 2006, 19:05   #1
Beeky

Exclamation Is it worth it?

I was thinking about getting an adapter so that I could couple my Opticron Imagic 65/45 to my Canon EOS 10D digital SLR, but after reading some of the threads on this forum I am beginning to wonder if it's worth it.

Has anyone out there actually had any success with digiscoping?, if so, let's
hear how you did it, where you happy with the image quality, etc.
Old Monday 22nd May 2006, 21:47   #2
christineredgate
Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of the Year Comp 2009/2010

Beeky,digiscoping can be good.Just go to the Gallery and see shots taken by Digi,and several other members who do take brilliant digiscoped images.When I have re visited the Gallery,will mention a few more names,I think Aki,is another contributor.His shots are stunning.It is an art,as it were.with suitable equipment and expertise,you can take a shot which is equivalent to a 600mm lens.This is at half the price and weight .i think the general opinion is that compact cams are more suitable for digiscoping than SLR's,but there are members who have taken excellent shots using an SLR.
For the amateurs among'st us,the larger the subject,and the more static the easier it will be,eg Heron.If you try fast moving ducks,then the answer is no.If you have the equipment then give it a go.

Ride Free,Fly Free.
Christine

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th July 2006, 06:27   #3
Mike66

Hello...I'm new to the forum and having difficulty finding my way, I've looked at the gallery and there are some really stunning shots, all I looked at were taken with long lens SLRs, how do I find the work of specific members? eg...Digi, Aki, or any others you could mention.

thanks...Mike
Old Monday 17th July 2006, 12:07   #4
wally170

Digi-scoping is worth it if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a DSLR and lens. I don't have a gallery here, but pop over to my website to have a look. All the images are digiscoped. Some are just records shots, others I am very proud of.

http://www.wallbank.me.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=2

I use a Nikon 80mm spotting scope (not the most expensive and nowhere near as good as the opticron's around), and a Canon S45. The camera is either hand held to the lens, of if I have time to set-up i use a Baader clamp.

Wally
Old Monday 17th July 2006, 14:11   #5
Henry B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeky
I was thinking about getting an adapter so that I could couple my Opticron Imagic 65/45 to my Canon EOS 10D digital SLR, but after reading some of the threads on this forum I am beginning to wonder if it's worth it.

Has anyone out there actually had any success with digiscoping?, if so, let's
hear how you did it, where you happy with the image quality, etc.
As you already have the scope and camera ,another 40-50s for a telephoto-adapter and T2 mount would be the cheapest option.Although a 65mm scope might not be bright enough and depending which eyepiece you have.
Old Monday 17th July 2006, 16:09   #6
mickporter
Oswaldtwistle birder

Like any new skill, digiscoping takes some getting used to. Fairly static birds can be easy providing the camera is set correctly and everything is focused in. The difficulties come because birds are usually not very obliging and refuse to keep still. Things come very much more difficult then.

I often take ten shots and maybe out of them just one will be useable. Lots of pictures of birds bums!! Beautiful pictures of ripples on a pond where a bird was once sat. Good posed shots that are hopelessly out of focus.

It is so frustrating, but every now and again you will get a picture that just beats everything and makes the whole thing worth while!!

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th July 2006, 20:50   #7
wally170

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickporter
I often take ten shots and maybe out of them just one will be useable. Lots of pictures of birds bums!! Beautiful pictures of ripples on a pond where a bird was once sat. Good posed shots that are hopelessly out of focus.

It is so frustrating, but every now and again you will get a picture that just beats everything and makes the whole thing worth while!!
Thats exactly it. If you are willing to persevere it can be a very rewarding way of taking pictures.

I'm still searching for that picture :-)

Wally
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: