• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warning I think I wounded my own Nikon Coolpix B700 (1 Viewer)

Danielbirdwatcher

Danielbirdwatcher
I retired from work last year February 2018. Since then I have spent a lot of time in my back yard in the extreme sun. My camera's viewfinder now goes blank a lot when trying to capture photos. I think with the extreme heat that my camera was exposed to with the lens open for extended periods of time has damaged the internals. I have read on the computer if you aren't using the camera you should let it shut off after a few minutes to save the battery and protect it from the extended exposure to the lens. I have never read what not to do but this information has me thinking I should have been using precautions when it is exposed to the severe heat. I live in South Carolina in the USA. It has been 100 degrees already this summer. So I did buy a new Nikon model P900 which is a better camera and a course I bought an extended warranty to cover myself. Just wanted to put this out there. Please if you have any other information that I can learn from please let me know. Another thing I read was the moisture developing in your camera lens from cool temperatures than to sudden hot temperature can leave spots on the lens that can be removed.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Daniel. I have a similar camera but lower temperatures (usually!). I find dropping these digi cameras is also extremely injurious to their health.

;(

I have had issues in hot and humid conditions after exiting an air-conditioned car. The humidity caused condensation internally, which caused a temporary malfunction. Once the camera warmed up, it dried out and began to function normally again.

I got another Nikon on the way. I am treating this one like a child. Cameras are not cheap for me. Got a warranty too. Hope me better luck this time. This is the first time I have broken a camera. It works but you have to shake it to see through the viewfinder which makes chances of close shots almost impossible. Thanks for sharing your information. I'm getting the p900 which has a little more telephoto ability.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back