• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Compact Binocular under $100 (1 Viewer)

Barbets48

Hi,
I'm a serious birder in the US who is looking for a new pair of compact binoculars that I can stick in a bag (or large pocket) and have with me at time when I'm not seriously birding. I have a pair of Swarovskis as my main pair, but want to buy something for roughly $100 or less to replace my Alpen Wings binocs which got knocked out of alignment (and I don't think can be repaired, because of Alpen's demise).

A couple options I found and am curious about are the Vortex Vanquish 8x26 and the Wingspan Spectator 8x32. Love to hear anyone's feedback on those, or other recommendations as well.

Most important optical qualities to me are field of view and decent close focus (3 m or less preferred).

Mike

Nikon Trailblazer 8x25 is a cheap option with good FOV and close focus. I've never used them, but they are pretty popular.

Here are all 9 of Nikon's binoculars under 100 dollars. They can be ordered directly from Nikon.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/all-binoculars/index.page#!/tag:nkE:$0%20to%20$99

Bob

For that money an 8x25 reverse Poro like the Nikon travelite EX or others are so much better than the cheap roof prism binoculars.

Hi,

for me this is the Pentax Papilio 6.5x21. Ticks the boxes for size, weight and close focus while being almost in budget. Plus it serves as a pair for very close up views. The 8.5x version is not as good - had it too.

Joachim

Last edited:
Hi,

Suggest look up Wingspan ProBirder (was Polaris) 8x32 ED glass, phase-corrected, 7.7 deg FoV, close up 2 metres, weight approx. 530 gm. Lifetime warranty, for US only. Compare prices Amazon and Wingspan.

(Or check out some monoculars if for pocket and just for general use.)
Have fun.

Leupold Yosemite BX-1 6x30 porro.
Might be a bit large for your needs, but the price is right, and the image quality, along with an 8° fov, is very good.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back