• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

P900 - I don't understand (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I was looking at perhaps upgrading to the Nikon P900.

Checking out the details, a re-chargable battery is supplied, but I can't see a battery charger is included in the pack?

In addition, when I looked to see about getting additional batteries (a long trip is planned)..... c£40 each??? Can that be right?

Thanks very much Marc... those prices are more like it!! Never ordered anything from abroad before LOL... scary thought.

I guess 3rd Party batteries are safe to use or you'd not have suggested them.

The watson batteries are good. I use them in all sorts of camera. There are some other brands like Wasabi that are also good.

I'm sure you could find those via a UK retailer. Amazon sells this stuff too, or you could try local stores. Just look for the EN-EL23 compatible.

Marc

Thanks so much Marc.

Much appreciated.

I'll start researching.

This would seem to be it then Marc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EN-EL23-Battery-Charger-Single-Coolpix/dp/B00U7DCVGG

A charger packed with 2 batteries for £20.

Does it matter that it says it's for a Nikon P900S?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really not into the techie side of these things and I got caught out by an Amazon description once before (actually the last time I bought something there!)

I guess 3rd Party batteries are safe to use or you'd not have suggested them.

It was a different camera, but over time, my experience (and others) is that some third party lithium batteries tend to swell, making it difficult to get them into or out of the camera. Also, the battery indicator may not be as accurate with a 3d party battery. So there are advantages to getting OEM, especially if you plan to have the camera for several years.

This would seem to be it then Marc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EN-EL23-Battery-Charger-Single-Coolpix/dp/B00U7DCVGG

A charger packed with 2 batteries for £20.

Does it matter that it says it's for a Nikon P900S?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really not into the techie side of these things and I got caught out by an Amazon description once before (actually the last time I bought something there!)

I am not familiar with that specific brand. They are likely all made in the same factory in China, but...

I have use ChilliPower batteries before and not had problems:

ChiliPower Nikon EN-EL23, ENEL23 1800mAh Battery 2-Pack + Charger (UK Plug) for Nikon Coolpix P600
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MX36D7Q/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_M7tKCb98C6A2B

I've not had the problems Jim M. reports. But I've only used Watson, Wasabi, and ChilliPower.

Marc

Hi Delia,
Duracell make p900 batteries at about £15.I used them in my Nikon D7200 and they were as good as Nikons own.I'm planning to get another battery for my p900 and i will definately get another Duracell......it's always good to buy a trusted brand.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that Neil.

I see Nikon are actually out of stock of their own batteries. But how can they justify that price.

I had a 990 and 950 way back, and had several batteries.... they didn't cost anything like £44!!! For a minute I thought it was for a pack of 10 LOL!!

Thanks so much for holding my hand through all this Marc.

Another idea: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-67mm-Lens-Hood-with-Cap/dp/B007CV9N7G

I'm used to a lens hood on my Olympus and wondered if I'd miss it.

I've not had problems w/o a lens hood, but I don't use the P900 much (girlfriend requisitioned it). The problem is with such a giant zoom range, no single hood will work.

There are rubber hoods, like this B&W. I've used similar on other lenses with mixed results. (I don't remember the filter size, but as you used a 67mm, I linked to same thing)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0012FOG6Q/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_PCuKCbSV12YMM

In regards to the Duracell, they are probably fine. I've not used them. But you would still need an external charger.

Marc

Hi Delia, pretty sure my 900 came with a separate charger as I never charged it from any other source. I bought a couple of "cheap Chinese" ones with their own charger, and they lasted 3 full years until I upgraded to the P1000.

I have bought 2 with charger from the same source for my p1000, and am very happy with them so far.

Can I tempt you to go for the p1000?

Den

I've not had problems w/o a lens hood, but I don't use the P900 much (girlfriend requisitioned it). The problem is with such a giant zoom range, no single hood will work.

There are rubber hoods, like this B&W. I've used similar on other lenses with mixed results. (I don't remember the filter size, but as you used a 67mm, I linked to same thing)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0012FOG6Q/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_PCuKCbSV12YMM

In regards to the Duracell, they are probably fine. I've not used them. But you would still need an external charger.

Marc

OK thanks Marc. Actually I didn't notice the 'size' I linked what came up on Googling LOL.

Poledark said:
Hi Delia, pretty sure my 900 came with a separate charger as I never charged it from any other source. I bought a couple of "cheap Chinese" ones with their own charger, and they lasted 3 full years until I upgraded to the P1000.

I have bought 2 with charger from the same source for my p1000, and am very happy with them so far.

Can I tempt you to go for the p1000?

Den

:eek!: I don't think so Den.... not at that price LOL. The holiday's gonna cost me enough as it is LOL

Hi guys.... thanks so much for your help so far. Now back with more questions.

I've just purchased a tablet which only takes the micro SD card (look I'm not technically minded at all... apparently a little bit slides out of a larger card?)
;)
Sooo... does the P900 use these cards, and anyone know whether the Coolpix EXR HS50 does as well, as they'll be the two cameras I'll be taking with me.

BATTERIES:
I use third-party batteries in all my cameras, usually Wasabi. More often than not, they have more capacity than OEM and are certainly cheaper. Have various USB and wall-wart chargers. All you need to do is find out the OEM model number for the battery, go hunting on Amazon, and read reviews.

More often than not there is a nice bundle of two batteries and a charger, so I get those. I always like to have at least one spare battery and have found two spares (3 total) per camera is handy on cold days where batteries don't last as long. Only exception is the D700 which is super-miserly with it's bigger batteries; rarely even go into the spare unless it's really cold.

MEMORY CARDS:
This can be trickier. You'll need to look at your manual or on places like DPReview to get the exact camera card specs your camera can use. The abbreviations and classes and throughput speeds make it odd to decipher. There is no point paying for a card that is faster than your camera can even handle (or larger capacity than it can understand), but sometimes getting close to the limit is useful for: 1) transfer speeds from a card reader to the computer, 2) burst speed on some cameras (my Canon SX60 benefited from the fastest card it could support).

I routinely get far larger capacity cards than I need (in case I decide to shoot video) and I always get two so I have a spare.

Thanks Kevin.

It'll be hot where I'm going, but think I'd still like 3 (2 spares). I won't be getting the camera until around June, so have time to sort out these wee niggles.

I did google and found a site that showed some cards that could be used with the cameras, but none 'seemed' to be the micro ones.

Now what to do... would I do better to take a card reader I wonder.

Hi guys.... thanks so much for your help so far. Now back with more questions.

I've just purchased a tablet which only takes the micro SD card (look I'm not technically minded at all... apparently a little bit slides out of a larger card?)
;)
Sooo... does the P900 use these cards, and anyone know whether the Coolpix EXR HS50 does as well, as they'll be the two cameras I'll be taking with me.

The Fuji HS50 EXR and P900 both use SD, SDHC, and SDXC. You can find 90 MB/sec to about 260 MB/sec (max write speed) cards. They will all have a min write speed more like 30 MB/sec - 60 MB/sec. What you want to find is one that comes in the micro format and use an adapter sleeve for it to get it back to the standard format that the cameras use.

The SanDisk 64GB Extreme UHS-I microSDXC Memory Card with SD Adapter (SDSQXA2-064G-GN6MA) is $17 and has a 160 MB/sec max & 30 MB/sec min write speed. It's probably a decent choice. It also comes in 128 GB - 1 TB capacities (personally I use 128 GB cards).

The P900 recommends a class 6 card or faster. Class 6 is 6 MB/sec or faster. It probably is not even a UHS-I data bus in the camera, so 30 MB/sec minimum write speed will probably zoom along just fine for it.

The HS50 recommends a class 10 card or faster. Again, the UHS-I cards should all exceed the class 6 / class 10 needed by these older cameras.

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back