• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kestrel Nest (1 Viewer)

GeorginaEgypt

Egypt
https://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=696229&d=1558891914

Firstly, I would like to introduce the 'camel pod'. A bit like a tripod, except it has four legs! (Attached photo above if it works?)

Secondly, as you can see from the photo, there is a kestrel nest in a small alcove opposite my balcony. I live on the second floor of my apartment building, and the kestrels nest is in the wall of the hotel next door.

The kestrel pair/s choose this nest every year. Mating noisily all over the roof tops starting from January, then incubating the eggs until they hatch at the end of April.

The parents hunt for small birds, gekkos, and insects, and crunch them noisily on the ledge right next to me, or fly them into the nest for the chicks to consume.

I have been capturing the scenes with my camera for many years. The kestrels never seem at all concerned about my presence when I am on my balcony, or on my roof terrace.

Though it is very obvious when something is upsetting them, like the crows, or another kestrel coming into their territory, or a cat passing on the ground below.

When the young kestrels leave the nest, they usually crash land all around me. In palm trees, on roof terraces, and on top of balcony shades.

It is something I live with every day at this time of year. I see them, hear them, and depending on the wind, I smell the nest! And I feel so privileged to witness this every year.

Right now there are three young kestrels and they will fly the nest any day. They are vocal all day now, waiting for the parents to constantly feed their insatiable appetites.

My question is, am 'I' doing anything wrong!!?? Or is this OK to capture this on my camera?

Very good. I'm not sure what the prey item is that the Kestrel is holding. Your caption says a young bird of prey, could it be a Wryneck, any more images?
Thank you.

Very good. I'm not sure what the prey item is that the Kestrel is holding. Your caption says a young bird of prey, could it be a Wryneck, any more images?
Thank you.

The link should be to the kestrel nest photo. To answer the question I asked above please?

If, as you say, you've been observing and photographing them for years, then as long as you don't start setting up ladders or scaffolding to get a better view... there shouldn't be a problem ;) I's not as if you're the only person living near the nest site.

It sounds like the Kestrels have got used to their urban environment, and can find plenty of food. Just bear in mind that not all people are as considerate, and will happily disturb the nest just to get a closer shot - which is why pictures of nesting birds are generally frowned upon in this forum. But again, it sounds like the Kestrels are not bothered and the youngsters look healthy and unconcerned.

By the way, I'm envious ;)

Thank you. When they paint the walls of the hotel, they just use a long wooden ladder and extended paint brushes! Never seen any scaffolding in 15 years of living opposite.

My neighbor below never uses her balcony, and the only other apartment with a lower view is hidden behind the palm trees.

Just me interested in the nest.

Oh my goodness, this is tense!

All three flew out the nest this morning together. They have never done this before. It has always been one at a time, over a few days. I was woken up by three chicks calling, and the mother sounding her alarm.

It has been 36 days so they should all be old enough.

One started on the ledge of the hotel, one in a palm tree, and one on a low hedge on the ground floor. I could hear two then move to a ledge behind the hedge under the ground floor balconies of the hotel. The thing that worries me if they stay there are the hotel cats.

Thankfully they are now all keeping quiet.

I am not disturbing them. I am inside my apartment and can hear where the calls are coming from outside my windows.

Fingers crossed all will be good.

Two are perched in the palm tree right outside my window. There is enough squeaking for three, I hope the third is in there too!

Ok, I think they were getting sea sick swaying in the palm tree, and the parents were not finding it easy to feed them.

All three are now safe.

Two are perched on a rusty old satellite dish on the balcony wall below me, and the third is right under my window on the 'tamr henna' shading of the balcony below.

All getting fed insects constantly and noisily by the parents.

Getting a couple of photos standing behind my mosquito netting at my window.

OMG I can't cope with much more excitement today! A 'squadron' (?) of great white pelicans just flew right over my roof terrace. First they flew over north to south, then circled and flew south to north, and then north to south again!

Great shots and video in my camera, but the battery has died, and my cheap EXpro spare has swollen to the point I can't even get it in the camera.

Time for a sit down and a cup of English tea. :flyaway::D

The young kestrels are now happily bouncing around the roof of the hotel opposite.

Here are the photos of their morning, safely tucked up in the palm tree among the young dates, and on the old satellite dish.

And the magnificent pelicans that flew over my roof terrace this morning.

I will add more photos of the pelicans to my gallery in the morning.

Kestrel chicks 2019 2nd June 2019 2.jpg

Kestrel chicks 2019 2nd June 2019 1.jpg

Great White Pelicans over El Gouna 2nd June 2019.jpg

Great White Pelicans Pelecanus onocrotalus 2nd June 2019.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back