• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Seeing sitatunga at Katonga Wildlife Reserve, Uganda (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Dear all I suspect this will be one of several enquiries about Uganda.

Has anyone tried for sitatunga at Katonga Wildlife Reserve, Uganda? From what I gather it is probably a bit of a long shot but it isn’t far off route.

Regards Steve

I've got a trip planned for August too, Ebola permitting.......

Just read up on this res, it doesn't sound like viewing arrangements for anything, are particularly well developed, no road access so presumably no stake outs. I reckon you'd have to canoe all day and just hope to get lucky?

Last edited:
I've got a trip planned for August too, Ebola permitting.......

Just read up on this res, it doesn't sound like viewing arrangements for anything, are particularly well developed, no road access so presumably no stake outs. I reckon you'd have to canoe all day and just hope to get lucky?

Andy you're everywhere! Are you doing it independently? I'm planning on going next year for a self-drive trip. I'd love to know how it goes. Rather worried about Ebola myself.

We're actually only doing three days in Uganda, mainly for Shoebill then spending nine days in Rwanda which is a LOT cheaper than Uganda.

We've got a fairly good deal with a bloke in Rwanda, about $2K pp, (just 2 of us) fully guided, all accom and transport.

You can if you are lucky see Sitatunga at the Mabamba Shoebill site, certainly worth asking the guides.Good luck.

You can if you are lucky see Sitatunga at the Mabamba Shoebill site, certainly worth asking the guides.Good luck.

On our trip to Rwanda, the guide has mentioned that we have a decent chance of Sitatunga at Akagera where Shoebill is also a possibility.

Shoebill isn't seen with any reliability at Akagera though, hence our short visit to Uganda.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back