• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping Adaptor for Optolyth Scopes (1 Viewer)

mikebidwell

Digiscoping Adapter for Optolyth Scopes

Hi there

For those of you who use Optolyth Scopes you might be interested to know that Optolyth are now producing their own digiscoping adapter. I've recently been sent an e-mail from them which shows a photo of it and also some basic information about it. Unfortunately being a bit new to the forum I've not yet got the hang of posting this type of information. :stuck: However if anyone is interested and can tell me how to post the photograph I will have a go at it. Alternately I would be happy to pass it on via e-mail.

It would appear though that their TBS/TBG Scopes need some modification whilst the adapter fits their Compact Scopes without any modification.

Regards

Mike Bidwell

Last edited:

It took me a while to make my mind up but in the end I've bought an Optolyth Digiscope Adapter. I wanted something that would enable me to use my Sony DSC-W12 Cybershot with my G80 Compact Scope, and this appears to fit the bill. I got Ace Cameras in Bath to get one for me. It's a very well made piece of kit, one minor problem though and that is the instruction leaflet supplied is written in German and guess wot?? I don't understand the language :h?: .

That aside, first impressions are that it seems quite simple to set up. You apparently use the same thread to attach the adapter to the scope as holds the protecting eyepiece cover in place.

Hopefully over the Easter break I'll get the chance to try it out.

Regards

Mike Bidwell :t:

PS for anyone interested in seeing the adapter visit the Optolyth website at:
http://www.optolyth.de/

Last edited:

Hi there

For anyone who may be interested, although from the lack of response it would appear there aren't many Optolyth scope users around, I just thought I'd let you have some feedback. Having now tried to use this adapter with my Sony Camera I find that you cannot line up the camera lens with the eyepiece. This is because the Sony tripod bush is off centre to the camera lens and there is no allowance for sideways adjustment on the adapter. I've e-mailed Optolyth and made them aware of the problem but as of yet I've had no replies. Nice looking piece of kit but not fit for purpose using the DSC-W12 Cybershot. :C

Regards

Mike Bidwell

Well I have to be honest and admit I feel a right 'plonker' |:$| In my previous post I said that I couldn't use my Sony DSC-W12 Cybershot camera with the Optolyth adapter because I couldn't get the lens to line up with the eyepiece on my scope. Fortunately for me, Ian at Ace Cameras in Bath sorted that problem out. Quite simply it was finger trouble on my part.

This morning although the weather here in Yate was abysmal, I set everything up in the lounge and focussed on a birdfeeder out in our front garden. It was quite dark but I did at least manage to get a couple of shots. A bit blurred but at least now as the song goes "Things can only get better" I hope.

So for any of you Optolyth users, yes they do make a well designed, well engineered product and if you can read German I'm sure the instructions make it easy to understand how to set it up properly :-O

Regards

Attachments

• Optolyth Digiadapter Blue Tit 1.jpg
    Optolyth Digiadapter Blue Tit 1.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,171
  • Optolyth Digiscope Adaptor Sparrow 1.jpg
    Optolyth Digiscope Adaptor Sparrow 1.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 451
Well I have to be honest and admit I feel a right 'plonker' |:$| In my previous post I said that I couldn't use my Sony DSC-W12 Cybershot camera with the Optolyth adapter because I couldn't get the lens to line up with the eyepiece on my scope. Fortunately for me, Ian at Ace Cameras in Bath sorted that problem out. Quite simply it was finger trouble on my part.

This morning although the weather here in Yate was abysmal, I set everything up in the lounge and focussed on a birdfeeder out in our front garden. It was quite dark but I did at least manage to get a couple of shots. A bit blurred but at least now as the song goes "Things can only get better" I hope.

So for any of you Optolyth users, yes they do make a well designed, well engineered product and if you can read German I'm sure the instructions make it easy to understand how to set it up properly :-O

Regards

Sorry to necro this 13-year-old thread, but I seem to be one of the few people in the world with the same issue. Have the adapter and the German instructions, which Google Translate mangles spectacularly.

Can anyone advise on how to fit adapter to scope?

Thanks for your time.

Hi,

Sorry to necro this 13-year-old thread, but I seem to be one of the few people in the world with the same issue. Have the adapter and the German instructions, which Google Translate mangles spectacularly.

Can anyone advise on how to fit adapter to scope?

Do you have a link showing the German instructions for your specific model? My German is pretty good, so if their instructions make any sense at all, I might be able to help :)

Regards,

Henning

Hi,

Do you have a link showing the German instructions for your specific model? My German is pretty good, so if their instructions make any sense at all, I might be able to help :)

Regards,

Henning

Thanks Henning! Here's the instructions, though to me (limited German) they seemed to miss some key info.

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 31
Hi,

Thanks Henning! Here's the instructions, though to me (limited German) they seemed to miss some key info.

Here's the gist of it:

1) Before installing the adapter, you're supposed to turn the scope in the tripod attachment ring so that looking along the objective bore, the eyepiece is in either the 9 o'clock or the 3 o'clock position.

2) Screw the adapter to the eyepiece collar thread so that it's exactly vertical.

3) Attach and position camera.

4) If you have positioned the camera, there'll be no dark areas at the image edge. Use camera and eyepiece zoom if necessary.

5) A screw at the side of the adapter defines a notch-stop. I'd say the idea is to set this stop to the correct position of the camera for digiscoping, and I guess you can then swivel it out of the way for normal observation, and return it to the notch-stop defined position accurately for observation.

The points 1) and 5) are indeed quite confusing even in the German original ... I can imagine an automatic translator would make things even worse! :)

Regards,

Henning

IMG_4437.jpg
( ... continues as if nothing happened in the past two years ... )

I have come to the conclusion that this just doesn't fit. The ring that supposedly screws into the lens hole is way bigger than the hole, and the lens.

Please somebody, anybody, can you advise? Have I done something terribly stupid? Can I fix it with some kind of stepping ring or other adapter?

Hi,

I have come to the conclusion that this just doesn't fit. The ring that supposedly screws into the lens hole is way bigger than the hole, and the lens.

Admittedly, the German description in addition to the instructions I already translated also says "Modification of TBS/TBS 80/100 models required". From your photograph, it looks like you have a TBS 80, so you probably need that modification.

In the current (English) catalogue available on the manufacturer's website, I found the following:

"Should you want to use an older fixed scope model from OPTOLYTH® we will gladly add an extension to your scope so you can easily fit the Digi-S adapter."

So I guess you'll have to contact them ... I keep my fingers crossed that "gladly" means "free" ;-)

Regards,

Henning

Hi,

Admittedly, the German description in addition to the instructions I already translated also says "Modification of TBS/TBS 80/100 models required". From your photograph, it looks like you have a TBS 80, so you probably need that modification.

In the current (English) catalogue available on the manufacturer's website, I found the following:

"Should you want to use an older fixed scope model from OPTOLYTH® we will gladly add an extension to your scope so you can easily fit the Digi-S adapter."

So I guess you'll have to contact them ... I keep my fingers crossed that "gladly" means "free" ;-)

Regards,

Henning

Ah, that makes sense. I'll try them again and hopefully they'll answer this time! Thanks for your help, Henning.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back