• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

£100 binocular better than a £2000 one? (1 Viewer)

Petroc

Although now retired I was employed for over thirty years as a countryside ranger, in the course of this work I regularly met keen birders. One day I was observing a couple of snipe probing in marshy ground, they were about eighty yards away and I was watching through my work issue binocular, these were pretty awful and I really didn't like using them at all. I had them resting on my rucksack which in turn was perched on the bonnet of the Land- Rover.
I was approached by a man who asked me what I was looking at, he was a keen birder, equipped with the almost ubiquitous Swarovski 8x42s, he trained them onto the area I had described - "just to the left of that boulder, the one with the moss on top". After peering for some time he told me that he couldn't see a thing. I stood aside and invited him to look through mine as they were still perfectly aligned, he saw the birds immediately, but on returning to his own binocular, lost them again.

It was obvious that he was unable to hand hold binoculars steady, but he was under the misapprehension that my binoculars were superior to his. This idea was quickly dispelled when I placed the Swarovski onto my rucksack and he could instantly make out every detail of those beautifully camouflaged birds.

I was reminded of this today when I was watching the bird feeder for a prolonged period to see what was about. My arms soon tired so I sat on a chair and balanced the binocular on a mono-pod. The 30 year old Zeiss Dialyt 8x30B, which had long ago been relegated to a 'window sill bin', suddenly became absolutely superb once again!

So in truth, old or cheap binoculars won't usually match expensive modern ones, but a little bit of support will certainly close the gap.

Petroc.

Hi Petroc,

Precisely !!

My Canon IS 10x30's always showed me more detail than my previous various pairs of Swarovski EL's and Zeiss HT and over the years I have traded or sold these all for my collection of Canon IS binoculars.

Doug......

Great post.

I routinely mount binoculars on tripods and car window mounts for extended glassing sessions while hunting in the western U.S., or while conducting bird surveys. Good support can make average binoculars look great, and can make great binoculars look average.

I've seen both happen.

Well said, Petroc. Good support really helps me become immersed in the view, and take in the details.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back